New Build to be Announced 22 June

mrlevin

52 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Visualisation looks impressive.

Name? so-so. Another one borrowed from RCI 🙄

Obviously Vaccinator didn't make the shortlist 🤣

Seven Seas Navigator (1999) before Navigator of the Seas (2002).  Seven Seas Mariner (2001) prior to Mariner of the Seas (2003).  Grandeur of the Seas (1996) is now the oldest RCCL ship and might be gone by time Seven Seas Grandeur sails.

• Thanks 1

My issue with the last two names (Splendor and Grandeur) is the departure from names which invoked the idea of travel and exploration to names which are only self-aggrandizing.  How do you then add superlatives in describing the ships...the Most Grandeur, the Incredible Splendor?

That said, Compass Rose looks great.  Otherwise, not much in terms of details (like when?).  The flank of the ship doesn't seem to have the bump outs that are on Explorer and Splendor.  So, no F2 flared balconies.  The deck count and life boats would seem to indicate it remains an Explorer-class ship, i.e., 750 passengers.  Also, no evidence that they will ever give us back an external forward-looking area ala Voyager (Dag's Bench!) and Mariner.  In some ways, the modest evolution between the Explorer-class ships is a good thing for us as there is no consequential motivation to be on a certain ship (of the 3).  So itinerary will continue to drive us though we do prefer the Explorer-class ships in general for the layout of the F2-Concierge suites and, our favorite restaurant, Pacific Rim (still ruing the loss of Latitudes).

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the name...but I sail for the experience on the ships, not what they're called.  The imagining of CR looks great - did I understand that they plan to retrofit the others to match?  I found the design vaguely reminiscent of Sagrada Familia, which isn't a bad thing.

Since our October '21 Tokyo cruise was whacked, we might just have to reschedule that one out to a Grandeur cruise in '23...choices, choices...

As to ship naming:  I am still coming to grips with the fact that--for the third time--my suggestion for the next iteration in the Regent lineup was likewise consigned to the dustbin of history.  It was: 

"Terminator"  

Arnold Schwarzenegger (rather than a Danish Princess or Monaco Royalty) would have presided at the launching event.  During those inaugural ceremonial remarks he would have intoned:  

"I'll be BaaaaaaaK!"

This concept would have hit all the right notes:  Eliminate the competition; encourage future onboard patronage.  

"Floated" the above to CD John Barron while aboard Explorer during two segments of its 2017 inaugural cruise season.  Just a chuckle.  He passed on that concept to Jason Montague.  At a "Town Hall" gathering a few nights later, Jason made mention of this suggestion--with proper attribution and hand pointed in my direction.  Audible groan from the packed house.  My wife looked at me--then dived for cover under the nearest table.  

So--

MY really-serious suggestion will remain undercover until, perhaps, Regent management announces plans for yet-another splendiferous, magisterial ship in the mid to late 2020s.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Slight edit to my last:  The CD is/was John Bannon.  

GOARMY!

John Bannon must be new. I’ve always cruised with John Barron. 😂

Dave

• Like 1

DaveFr:  

Confess to having another Senior Moment.  You are totally correct.  I should have just stuck to initials JB.  In any event--spouse and I had hoped "JB" would have officiated at our 50th wedding anniversary Renewal of Vows "event" aboard Splendor in March, 2020 while en route from San Diego to Miami.   COVID scuttled that cruise.  

John is the consummate CD.  Poised, professional, and full of puns suitable for any occasion. While with him on Explorer during August-September 2019, we had done initial planning for an event we often referred to as:  "Renewal of Vowels".  Could I still-remember them?  Passed that test.   

Hope to do better in the future.  Regards, 

GOARMY!

On 6/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, UUNetBill said:

I found the design vaguely reminiscent of Sagrada Familia, which isn't a bad thing.

My first comment to Ms. Portolan before showing her the pictures was think Sagrada Familia.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, fdnycruiser said:

I hope that it launches in 2023. Our 50th wedding anniversary and my 70th birthday. We definitely want to celebrate both on this ship ! 

My TA told me she'll set sail in summer 2023. However, the CC article says "by the end of 2023". We'll see...