Getting home to US West Coast from Bergen

SoBaycruiser

We are booked on a Northern Lights cruise (our first with Viking) and had airline electronic vouchers that we needed to use soon so we purchased our flight to London with these.  Now I’m looking for a way home from Bergen before I call Viking Air.  I’ve read that one should have 3 choices in mind before calling.  Well when I look at potential flights, the best option is through Amsterdam.  But the early hopper flight from Bergen must be sold out already since they say that route is full.  There don’t seem to be any nonstop Bergen flights to London.  So what do passengers do?  We’ve been to Bergen before so we weren’t planning on extending our stay.  Any suggestions?

47 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We are booked on a Northern Lights cruise (our first with Viking) and had airline electronic vouchers that we needed to use soon so we purchased our flight to London with these.  Now I’m looking for a way home from Bergen before I call Viking Air.  I’ve read that one should have 3 choices in mind before calling.  Well when I look at potential flights, the best option is through Amsterdam.  But the early hopper flight from Bergen must be sold out already since they say that route is full.  There don’t seem to be any nonstop Bergen flights to London.  So what do passengers do?  We’ve been to Bergen before so we weren’t planning on extending our stay.  Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to post your query on Cruise Air here on CC. You will find all kinds of expert flyers who will figure out your dilemma  with the best route to home. 

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

There don’t seem to be any nonstop Bergen flights to London.  So what do passengers do?  We’ve been to Bergen before so we weren’t planning on extending our stay.  Any suggestions?

There used to be non-stop flights Bergen to London; took one for Midnight Sun in 2016. Viking booked us a RT to London and a one-way Bergen-London.

My thought is that since there are still a few months before your trip and since the flight schedules are slowly returning to pre-pandemic levels, that book what you can now and then watch for the restoration of the non-stops Bergen to London, so that you can change to a non-stop. 

• Like 1

Might try Norwegian Air site.  Very budget carrier in some financial trouble, but formerly had a lot of connector flights and some budget Norway/Europe to US direct flights, pre Covid.  Also, the train to Oslo from Bergen is super comfortable and fun, so you might try taking an extra day to travel to Oslo by fast train and then book air from there.  The train has a good web site that explains the services and times.

When we did the Viking Northern Lights we trained to Oslo and spent a few days seeing that city before our next section of our travel.  It turned out that Norwegian has 99 euro flights to Marakesh, and $300 one way Barcelona to SF, so we made our way across Morroco to Spain, but that was another adventure for a different Board.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 2:16 PM, Mich3554 said:

We have done Bergen - Amsterdam - Seattle on Delta.  We have also returned via Paris as well.  

Did you do this through Viking because I wonder if they’re holding onto all the flights out of Bergen to Amsterdam?  How did you cope with the super early morning flight?

We made our own flight reservations.  I like the earlier flights, as we have a 2+ hour drive once we get to Seattle.  That puts us going north before rush hour traffic.  

Most of our flights are chosen to avoid Seattle traffic.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:16 PM, Mich3554 said:

We have done Bergen - Amsterdam - Seattle on Delta.  We have also returned via Paris as well.  

We also have done Bergen-Amsterdam-San Francisco on Delta (KLM).

Unfortunately the times now are much different - Viking Air Plus may only give YOU one or two choices since that is what the airlines give them.  Your choice - take that or do your own air.  Or you could wait, take a chance and hope that the airline routes/pricing system stabilizes before your trip.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

we did Viking Homelands cruise a few years ago and booked our own air.  Flew Boston to Bergen with a stay over in Iceland.  This worked out very well. Our return trip was from Stockholm to Boston with a change of planes in Iceland.