Florida wins against CDC re: CSO

DCGuy64

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I won’t be wearing one, not sure who this comment was directed towards. 🤷‍♂️ 

I won't be wearing a mask either no matter how many unvaccinated passengers are onboard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

I won't be wearing a mask either no matter how many unvaccinated passengers are onboard. 

How are you not wearing a mask on MSC cruises?

For the Europe cruises it says: "Face masks required when in public areas, except when seated in restaurants, bars, lounges, and when sitting on the sun deck."

For the Bahamas cruises (vaccinated or not) it says: "You will be required to wear a mask throughout the cruise while indoors and in public areas. Mask use is not required outdoors. Where social distancing is not possible outdoors, mask use is recommended for all guests."

Sounds like they require everyone to wear a mask at certain points.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

How are you not wearing a mask on MSC cruises?

For the Europe cruises it says: "Face masks required when in public areas, except when seated in restaurants, bars, lounges, and when sitting on the sun deck."

For the Bahamas cruises (vaccinated or not) it says: "You will be required to wear a mask throughout the cruise while indoors and in public areas. Mask use is not required outdoors. Where social distancing is not possible outdoors, mask use is recommended for all guests."

Sounds like they require everyone to wear a mask at certain points.

A lot can change between now and my cruise. 🙂

10 minutes ago, jules815 said:

That's what we're thinking too, which is why we decided to go ahead with our October booking. 

I canceled October because I didn't like the uncertainty. I'd just worry about things and that's no way to vacation. For people who can go with the flow if things change, I'm sure it'll be fine. 

Especially if the beverage package is purchased. 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

And if it doesn’t, my lounge chair at Pool One will be visited often by the Asst Butler. 😏

Same!  That's one of the reasons my husband wanted to move forward with our cruise. He's never been a big fan of pools on cruise ships, but he LOVED the YC pool set up with the buffet and bar. Don't care which ports we stop at, we just want to get back to the YC. 😊

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Same!  That's one of the reasons my husband wanted to move forward with our cruise. He's never been a big fan of pools on cruise ships, but he LOVED the YC pool set up with the buffet and bar. Don't care which ports we stop at, we just want to get back to the YC. 😊

I can easily understand that!  

2 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

I canceled October because I didn't like the uncertainty. I'd just worry about things and that's no way to vacation.

I tend to be a "worrywort" during even good times.  The "good times" are coming, I believe.  But, I am not quite there just yet.  I understand your view very well.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kilkoyne said:

A lot can change between now and my cruise. 🙂

I love how it says wearing a face mask except when seated in bars, lounges, restaurants, and the sundeck. Well, between those places and my cabin, that’s basically 99% of the time I’m on board. So pretty much NO mask 😷 wearing for me, I’d say. 😝 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I tend to be a "worrywort" during even good times.  The "good times" are coming, I believe.  But, I am not quite there just yet.  I understand your view very well.  

I plan on being on at least one cruise, if not a few, before the end of 2022!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I love how it says wearing a face mask except when seated in bars, lounges, restaurants, and the sundeck. Well, between those places and my cabin, that’s basically 99% of the time I’m on board. So pretty much NO mask 😷 wearing for me, I’d say. 😝 

Haha. I thought that, too, about the US protocols. Most of our time is outside or eating. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, deliver42 said:

Enjoy your mask wearing on the cruise.

The judge's order doesn't completely throw out the CSO.  He is eliminating the mandatory nature of the CSO.  He indicated that the CSO should be treated more as 'guidance' than a requirement just as CDC issues guidance to other travel/recreational related industries.  IMHO, the legal departments at the cruise lines won't be too keen on the cruise lines ignoring the 'guidance' from the CSO.  It's going to be up to us to decide which cruise lines safety protocols make us most comfortable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It's going to be up to us to decide which cruise lines safety protocols make us most comfortable.

I agree.  And I think that is how it should be.  Go with the line you feel the most comfortable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:14 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I love how it says wearing a face mask except when seated in bars, lounges, restaurants, and the sundeck.

Everybody knows the virus does not travel at heights below 5ft. (This is a joke)

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, DCGuy64 said:

A 3 judge panel from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals put a stay on the Tampa court's injunction.

"A federal judge had recently ruled in Florida’s favor in its lawsuit against the CDC seeking to lift a no sail order which has prevented cruise ships from using U.S. ports since March 2020.

The ruling called for the order to be lifted on July 18, but on Saturday the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals granted a motion made by the CDC to put that ruling on hold while appeals are underway.

“So we are absolutely going to pursue to get the state removed, either at the full 11th circuit or at the US Supreme Court,” DeSantis said. “I’m confident that we’d win on the merits, at the full 11th circuit and, honestly, I’m confident we’d win at the US Supreme Court.”"

Gov. DeSantis ‘disappointed’ by decision to stay ruling to lift CDC no sail order (clickorlando.com)

• Like 2

This issue needs to get to the Supreme Court ASAP.  Alas, the Justices are on their Summer Vacation until October.  Maybe, whomever the Justice is that overseas the Federal Courts of the Florida Districts, maybe she/he may be able to provide some relief for the State of Florida.  At least, until the full Court is in session.  

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This issue needs to get to the Supreme Court ASAP.  Alas, the Justices are on their Summer Vacation until October.  Maybe, whomever the Justice is that overseas the Federal Courts of the Florida Districts, maybe she/he may be able to provide some relief for the State of Florida.  At least, until the full Court is in session.  

Justice Clarence Thomas is the Justice assigned to the 11th Circuit.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Justice Clarence Thomas is the Justice assigned to the 11th Circuit.

Thanks for this information.  For the State of Florida, is this good news or not if it reaches Justice Thomas' desk?  

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for this information.  For the State of Florida, is this good news or not if it reaches Justice Thomas' desk?  

Justice Thomas dissented in the recent Supreme Court decision permitting extension of the CDC moratorium on evictions.  This is the decision that Justice Kavanaugh joined the majority 5-4 decision, but stated that legislation is needed to clarify CDC’s authority in such actions.  So recognizing that the central issue in Florida versus HHS/CDC is insufficient legislative authority to take the broad actions surrounding the CSO this should be good news for Florida’s position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Justice Thomas dissented in the recent Supreme Court decision permitting extension of the CDC moratorium on evictions.  This is the decision that Justice Kavanaugh joined the majority 5-4 decision, but stated that legislation is needed to clarify CDC’s authority in such actions.  So recognizing that the central issue in Florida versus HHS/CDC is insufficient legislative authority to take the broad actions surrounding the CSO this should be good news for Florida’s position.

Agreed.  Many people just don't understand the real issues being contested.  Kavanaugh only joined the majority with a caveat that the eviction moratorium was expiring in 30 days anyway and CDC agreed to no more extensions.  We don't have such a commitment from the CDC with respect to extending the CSO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1