How would I fit in on Cunard?

AtSeaWithChris

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I haven’t come across enough passengers who are not dress compliant to ruin any atmosphere.

It is sort of like erosion - a little at a time - no particular thing identifiable as causing major change - but somehow the aggregate shows massive change.  The atmosphere on a HAL ship today is very different to the way it was three decades ago — the same applies to Celebrity, Princess and even Norwegian, which used to offer a cruise experience —- as opposed to today’s crowded boat ride.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is sort of like erosion - a little at a time - no particular thing identifiable as causing major change - but somehow the aggregate shows massive change.  The atmosphere on a HAL ship today is very different to the way it was three decades ago — the same applies to Celebrity, Princess and even Norwegian, which used to offer a cruise experience —- as opposed to today’s crowded boat ride.

Of course it's an erosion and I for one hope the erosion doesn't become a landslide but I feel for those who allow their evenings to be affected by the very small minority who are not dress compliant.. It seems to me a real shame because one thing is sure, those who choose not to wear a jacket or whose dress is not up to perceived scratch, will not be going away. That's why I say enjoy the general ambiance and ignore the very few who  don't dress appropriately after six pm.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

For want of a nail a kingdom was lost. For those that can not understand how it works we may only pray they cruise elsewhere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Of course it's an erosion and I for one hope the erosion doesn't become a landslide but I feel for those who allow their evenings to be affected by the very small minority who are not dress compliant.. It seems to me a real shame because one thing is sure, those who choose not to wear a jacket or whose dress is not up to perceived scratch, will not be going away. That's why I say enjoy the general ambiance and ignore the very few who  don't dress appropriately after six pm.

That "very few" will grow if they are not told to go away.  Ignoring them may be likened to ignoring weeds in a garden - if not uprooted they will spread

• Like 5

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

That "very few" will grow if they are not told to go away.  Ignoring them may be likened to ignoring weeds in a garden - if not uprooted they will spread

The whole point of giving advice, is giving advice based in reality and the reality is, there are some who don't follow the suggested protocols and if the very few who are so utterly set in the dress codes can't see that the very few who don't care to dress up are helping to keep the passenger numbers up and thus the line afloat [and goodness knows Cunard will need to fill their ships as much as they can when the pandemic furore dies down], then they are being very shortsighted.

People can email whomsoever they feel like  when in the theatre. I would be very disappointed if staff took notice. Luckily, in my hundreds of days onboard, I have yet to see a less than appropriately dressed passenger being asked to leave the theatre. A bar, yes and rightly so. Restaurants too although I have seen men remove jackets when the going gets too hot. The theatre, no and nor those meandering around the Queens Room balcony whilst perusing the shopping arcade.

I don't think the main body of passenger attitudes will change. There are too many of 'us', at the moment who like dressing for the evening although as we're being picky,  some of the outfits worn by 'the dressed', male and female occasionally look as if they had been put on without the aid of mirrors and look quite frightful but as they are following 'the code'  eg, not jeans or daywear, are acceptable in the eyes of the Dress Police.

It happens and will continue to happen so unless you are one who enjoys complaining about others [not come across one yet thank goodness] ignore. Apoplexy is not good for the soul and it's definitely not good for the enjoyment of the cruise

I would never let the fact that someone had jeans on in the theatre effect me , what's the point.  Just enjoy the show. Many more annoying things , like talking during performance. 

As for the Erosion analogy,  if you want to build sea defences build them on firm foundations.  Cunard clearly  values the people who want to dress casually,  if overstrict application of the dress code in the theatre where there is no alternative casual venue , leads to feedback in their Market Research. Carnival will make the theatre casual. 

When ( if) asked defend the important core,  ie, strict dress code in restaurants,  in formal bars,  in the Queens room, the heart of the ship. If they changed then it really would be a shame. And you can argue there are casual alternatives 

Just looked again at the pictures of the examples of dress for non gala nights, to my mind those are much more worrying than occasional  casual in theatre. Men in jumper and jacket , jackets undone in both pictures. Might look OK on the models, but not elegant at all if you are not built like a model , off putting if you are a BOB.  Jackets have buttons for a reason, do them up.

When we went to the captain’s reception on the Queen Mary 2,  there was a man dressed in a military uniform. Think “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” variety, with ropes hanging from epaulettes, giant fake medals, etc. He kept walking back and forth in front of crew members, practically daring someone to challenge him. Everyone completely ignored him. Passengers, crew, everyone. Hey, he met the dress code (military uniform) and was waiting for a reaction so he could make a STATEMENT. Instead he just looked like, and was treated as, the fool he was. Does it make it OK? No. But was it allowed to interfere with anyone’s holiday? Again, no.

2 hours ago, Tonopah said:

When we went to the captain’s reception on the Queen Mary 2,  there was a man dressed in a military uniform. Think “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” variety, with ropes hanging from epaulettes, giant fake medals, etc. He kept walking back and forth in front of crew members, practically daring someone to challenge him. Everyone completely ignored him. Passengers, crew, everyone. Hey, he met the dress code (military uniform) and was waiting for a reaction so he could make a STATEMENT. Instead he just looked like, and was treated as, the fool he was. Does it make it OK? No. But was it allowed to interfere with anyone’s holiday? Again, no.

I actually  doubt if he met the dress code , a pantomime  uniform is not a real military  uniform ,  but ignoring him was the best action.

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Must have been pretty funny. 

The best part was seeing him peacocking up and down like a model on a runway while people studiously  looked right through him. Whenever these threads pop up I remember him and wonder what story HE is telling about that evening.

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

The whole point of giving advice, is giving advice based in reality and the reality is, there are some who don't follow the suggested protocols and if the very few who are so utterly set in the dress codes can't see that the very few who don't care to dress up are helping to keep the passenger numbers up and thus the line afloat [and goodness knows Cunard will need to fill their ships as much as they can when the pandemic furore dies down], then they are being very shortsighted.

People can email whomsoever they feel like  when in the theatre. I would be very disappointed if staff took notice. Luckily, in my hundreds of days onboard, I have yet to see a less than appropriately dressed passenger being asked to leave the theatre. A bar, yes and rightly so. Restaurants too although I have seen men remove jackets when the going gets too hot. The theatre, no and nor those meandering around the Queens Room balcony whilst perusing the shopping arcade.

I don't think the main body of passenger attitudes will change. There are too many of 'us', at the moment who like dressing for the evening although as we're being picky,  some of the outfits worn by 'the dressed', male and female occasionally look as if they had been put on without the aid of mirrors and look quite frightful but as they are following 'the code'  eg, not jeans or daywear, are acceptable in the eyes of the Dress Police.

It happens and will continue to happen so unless you are one who enjoys complaining about others [not come across one yet thank goodness] ignore. Apoplexy is not good for the soul and it's definitely not good for the enjoyment of the cruise

Evidently you are not a fan of the broken window style of policing. Fix the little things and the larger ones tend to disappear. Ignore the turn-style jumpers and all of a sudden you are knee deep in buckets of beer and hairy leg contests. very popular with some but certainly not to be accommodated on Cunard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Evidently you are not a fan of the broken window style of policing. Fix the little things and the larger ones tend to disappear. Ignore the turn-style jumpers and all of a sudden you are knee deep in buckets of beer and hairy leg contests. very popular with some but certainly not to be accommodated on Cunard.

I haven't heard of that analogy and as I don't think any fixing is required because the main structure [the company] is happy with the sturdiness of their product, I'll let it pass.

I understand your comments about the Cunard dress codes and recognise you and one or two others are very happy with an uncompromising attitude to after six dress, but happily, the starchy formal Cunard you try and promote, is not the formal but more tolerant Cunard I recognise and I speak as one who scrupulously follows all protocols and values my fellow passengers who do the same whilst at the same time, not looking down my nose or complain against at those very few who 'dare' to slip into the theatre or wander around some of the main public areas in less than complete after six evening wear.

Cunard have not yet included hairy leg contests and as I'm fairly certain no bumper cars. climbing walls or water slides will be factored onto the new ship, the fact  I have faith in the Cunard ethos and my fellow passengers means the general spirit of Cunard will be perpetuated for the foreseeable future.

We want the Cunard line to continue and that means attracting new passengers. Having newbies thinking they are going to be judged on their appearance will not endear the line to some who might be fearful of a stiff and starchy atmosphere, one we know doesn't exist in reality and potential passengers could be put off.

Due to age or ill health present very long term Cunard regulars[ I am a comparative newbie with only ten years of Cunard under my belt]  will eventually stop cruising and  those of us still managing to step onboard, want a Cunard ship to be there for us to do so  that means accepting the fact a very small percentage of the very small percentage of passengers who decide not to follow a fairly strict after six dress code will sometimes venture into some public areas.

We want to keep the numbers up so  the bean counters will be happy and so the Cunard line viable. Ignore the very, very few who annoy you and enjoy the happy, friendly but more formal atmosphere Cunard line has to offer. Long may it continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Sticking to dress code issues I am in complete agreement with Victoria2. Cunard value the casual  dressers input to bottom line, that's  clear or they wouldn't  have  done what they've done and expanded where they can go. Their balancing act is very informal daytime rules and a light hand after 6pm.

If you look at pictures on what to pack  jumpers ( with a jacket ) are recommended after 6pm wear now.

If Cunard's hand is forced then they will side with the casual dressers. The young slightly naive marketing department ,  will say we must capture the younger market that's the future.  Oblivious to the fact that 95% of the world's wealth is in the hands of the over 60s and that its only the more formal atmosphere that gives Cunard it's USP. Cunard has found a nice niche so let's leave it there. One of the key things in life is don't  initiate a battle you won't win over a minor matter and accelerate defeat. Let the odd little infringement slip, to keep what we have for as long as possible.

• Thanks 1