How would I fit in on Cunard?

AtSeaWithChris

5 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I didn't intend to show any attitude, I was just too succinct without introduction and I didn't mean to come across as anything but respectful and curious. Sorry for my bluntness. You have some great points.

I didn't see any attitude in your first post. It just seemed a reasonable enquiry. And now you know the answer: they like you to wear a jacket, but less so if sailing from Australia. If you embrace the formality, you'll have a great time, and there are other nice things apart from dressing up.

• Like 3

I think the OP is having a joke on us.

OP, if as you claim, you have Commodore Status for Cunard, then you will know exactly what the dress code is and how it works.  I'm really not sure what you expect from us.  However, just in case you really don't know what you should wear here is the official Cunard definition:

Our packing guide - Ship dress code - Cunard cruises

14 hours ago, Okraf said:

Never been on Carnival but the impression I get is that it's about as far from Cunard as it's possible to get on the mainstream cruise lines. 
I like Cunard but not for every cruise. Wearing a jacket is compulsory every night in the dining rooms and you are not even allowed to walk through a room where a formal event is taking place (usually the ballroom) if you are not appropriately dressed.
You will enjoy it if you embrace it - don't go on Cunard and try to fight it.
Personally, this is why Princess is my sweet spot - formal when it needs to be, smart-casual otherwise.
But I do think there should be certain minimum standards in formal dining rooms - shorts and backwards baseball caps belong in the buffet or the Lido.

That is the downside of Princess and ruins the whole experience of cruising for me. Some of the people's idea of formal dress on formal nights is non existent and is never challenged by Head Waiters on the doors of MDR who will let anyone in wearing anything even on formal nights. I do not understand why they dont just scrap "formal" nights and go for a "smart casual" for the whole duration of the cruise. We have shared tables and had enjoyable evenings in MDR sharing tables with international travellers but find it very uncomfortable to sit in dinner suit and black tie sharing a table with men in t-shirts and even some wearing baseball caps which we have done in the past.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What is the purpose of wearing any sort of hat in an indoor restaurant?

My Cousin had skull surgery, and she wore a hat in public places (restaurants etc) purely because of vanity to cover the staples and stitches.  And not to possibly offend anybody.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

10 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

My Cousin had skull surgery, and she wore a hat in public places (restaurants etc) purely because of vanity to cover the staples and stitches.  And not to possibly offend anybody.

That seems an admirable reason, but I suspect may not be that widespread.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is the downside of Princess and ruins the whole experience of cruising for me. Some of the people's idea of formal dress on formal nights is non existent and is never challenged by Head Waiters on the doors of MDR who will let anyone in wearing anything even on formal nights. I do not understand why they dont just scrap "formal" nights and go for a "smart casual" for the whole duration of the cruise. We have shared tables and had enjoyable evenings in MDR sharing tables with international travellers but find it very uncomfortable to sit in dinner suit and black tie sharing a table with men in t-shirts and even some wearing baseball caps which we have done in the past.

There is no reason the men in dinner suits should be uncomfortable, if that is the dress code.  Surely it's the t-shirt men who should feel uncomfortable, if anyone does!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

There is no reason the men in dinner suits should be uncomfortable, if that is the dress code.  Surely it's the t-shirt men who should feel uncomfortable, if anyone does!

Dont think it works like that because those on Princess that go in MDR in t shirts, shorts or baseball caps have no idea of what formal actually means and dont care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

What is the purpose of wearing any sort of hat in an indoor restaurant?

I've seen a few male idiots in all sorts of hats at dinner. Hats for men at any time in a restaurant, or even indoors, is the height of bad manners.

For ladies, hats may be worn at lunch, but certainly not at dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Dont think it works like that because those on Princess that go in MDR in t shirts, shorts or baseball caps have no idea of what formal actually means and dont care.

And, a hideous thought, are they the same garments as the have spent the day in, visiting a hot and sweaty port?

• Like 1

That seems an admirable reason, but I suspect may not be that widespread.

You should have seen the tears of joy when she went from wearing “hats” to trying on and then buying “fascinators”.  Our treat.

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

OP, if as you claim, you have Commodore Status for Cunard, then you will know exactly what the dress code is and how it works.  I'm really not sure what you expect from us.  However, just in case you really don't know what you should wear here is the official Cunard definition:

Exactly!

When I was a TA I earned Cunard Commodore status via Cunard's extensive online training .

There is no way that I would still have questions about Cunard , especially dress codes after that training and even before actually cruising aboard a Cunard cruise.

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

I am not sure why you think I am having a joke on you. If you look at some of my previous posts you will see I addressed the training and dress code. And some of the responses have proven my need to ask the people that sail Cunard all the time. I went to the source of info as to the feet on the ground experience. I am not claiming anything other than setting the stage in order to get to the answers I am looking for. Don't worry, I am not a troll as some are in the boards. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I am not sure why you think I am having a joke on you. If you look at some of my previous posts you will see I addressed the training and dress code. And some of the responses have proven my need to ask the people that sail Cunard all the time. I went to the source of info as to the feet on the ground experience. I am not claiming anything other than setting the stage in order to get to the answers I am looking for. Don't worry, I am not a troll as some are in the boards. 

Given the varying degrees of answers you've been given, I think your decision to ask opinions was a reasonable  one.

Nothing will beat  experiencing the product first hand though so good luck and I hope you book in order to find out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

That could be possible, but it's unlikely that anybody just having had major surgery (or undergoing chemotherapy) could or should be on a ship where medical facilities are very limited. 

49 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I don't think for a moment you are having a joke. Nothing to do with me, but in the US, aren't there complicated (and expensive) tax requirements over free trips, etc?

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Mama.

As probably one of the few Brits that have cruised with Cunard and Carnival,  and had a great time on both...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/02/09/carnival-dream-a-very-pleasant-surprise/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

...my best advice having read a few of your comments is to you is 'stick with Carnival' and enjoy your cruising your way.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, I have your blogs saved and will check them out asap. I do Love Carnival. Carnival is a very fun and boisterous experience. They have great staff that are allowed to be cheeky and with innuendo and they have great service. We choose Carnival over Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and other lines that are seemingly boring. I like to find quiet places as well as the party. Having laughs with other people in a carefree nonjudgmental way is my jam. On Carnival there are all types of people. Some people think less of Carnival as the Walmart of the seas and while you will see people from Walmart you will also see people from Neman Marcus and all in between. And I like that. I have shared shots with surgeons and greeters at Walmart and there is no difference when you are at a bar on the beach in the caribbean. The food on carnival is from crap to deliciousness. They have inconsistencies in the food and the delivery but we have learned what they do well and what is different than our expectation. I assume this is going to be for some part, the same across all ships. There is so much culture in food with people from all parts of the world. By the end of the cruise we are ready for comfort food or outstanding food which drives us to the steakhouse to end a cruise nicely. After the last few cruises we leave with the idea of stepping up the quality of experience but we have gone back to Carnival because we love them. The older we have gotten we can afford some nicer things but more money is not always the best spent money. We are going to try Virgin, We also want to cruise Princess. Cunard was a line that I didn't even consider except for a transatlantic for the experience. After doing the training for Cunard I was more intrigued with the way they presented casual cruising on Cunard. And that's why I am here exploring the idea.We saw a great deal on an Alaska itinerary and because Alaska is different experience from the Caribbean experience I thought is I can't stay in shorts and a tshirt / polo then, if I have to dress up, this might kill several birds with one cruise. Alaska, A refined experience, and a chance to see one of the oldest and storied cruise lines in the world with a special reverence for the old customs. So While I see the faults of Carnival I also see something I love. But I would like to experience many things before I am not able to any more. I only own one dark charcoal suit that still fits and about 5 long sleeve button up shirts and mostly crappy ties.We also don't want to feel like we are being judged by people that don't even know us. I would be like Jed Clampett in some situations but I am intelligent and can debate with the best out there sometimes lol. I am too old to care as much as I used to. sorry for the long post I got on a bit of a roll and I even deleted some. This is just off my head for some enlightenment on our position of taking a look at Cunard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arielmomma said:

Hello OP. As someone who has sailed both Carnival and Cunard and enjoyed them both, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. For background information, my family is about as plain-jane ordinary and laid back as they come. At home, I am a die-hard t-shirts and yoga pants sort of girl. I rarely ever dress up. My husband is a large man who overheats very easily, so at home, suits are out of the question. My children are both teenagers and are much like us. We stopped dressing up on Carnival and Disney cruises some time ago. However, on Cunard, its different. We love the dress code. The sophisticated atmosphere is part of the experience. As a woman, I've been able to find plenty of comfortable outfits for myself and my daughter that are suitable evening attire. As for my husband, he loves QM2 so much, he now owns 2 tuxedos and recently purchased a formal kilt. He's dying to show off his Scottish heritage on our upcoming cruise in November (fingers crossed). My teenage son, who is still growing, sticks with dark suits. Even the kids appreciate the formal atmosphere. Its breathtaking to watch the finely dressed dancers take to the floor in the Queen's Room. They looked forward to the balls every gala night. So, in short, even a t-shirt family can have an incredible time on a Cunard cruise. Let me warn you though, they will become addictive! I speak from experience.

Thank you, while I don't think I will be running out to buy tuxes I can see coming to look forward to dressing up for an event. You guys sound like us.

9 hours ago, lissie said:

I'll probably be  flamed for this - but whatever. The dress code is far less fierce on board ship  than it is on this board! 

We are casual and my partner didn't own a suit that fitted when we booked Cunard. Now sailing out of Sydney  in 2020 he did NOT need to wear a jacket except on formal nights.  So he could have got away with one dark suit, a white shirt to  go with it, plus some nice shirts (not polos) on the other nights. This is an Australian season rule - but I suspect may apply in Alaska too - you'd need to check that. 

There is no code during the day - except no wet clothes inside - and you have to wear some type of shoes. We were in the tropics and there were lots of men and women in shorts up until 6pm, including in the Queens Room dancing prior to 6pm. The statement in this thread about a polo shirt being on barely acceptable at lunch is ludicrous.  Most men wore shorts and t-shirts during the day on our cruise. Actually so did many women. 

It was warm - so jackets were 90% taken off in the MDR, and 100% when dancing in the Queens room - even on gala evening. Those who are used to dancing - brought waistcoats - much more comfortable to dance in - but don't worry unless you are an actual ballroom dancer. 

Attached photo was a day time dance class in the Queens room. 

As a man a dark suit, white shirt bow tie or other tie, plus a different jacket and a couple of different shirts, and pair of dark leather shoes will work fine. As women my clothes take up less space. 

P1090554.JPG

Thanks for the photo and your experiences. I figured that there would be a line somewhere in the middle of formal and casual that we would have to dance through and around. That photo definitely shows the different casual attire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Exactly!

When I was a TA I earned Cunard Commodore status via Cunard's extensive online training .

There is no way that I would still have questions about Cunard , especially dress codes after that training and even before actually cruising aboard a Cunard cruise.

I also earned it. And and the training presented questions over the attire about how formal things are. The training did mention that buffet and other venues are more appropriate if not dressed properly. However as it is apparent that that is not the experience on the ground, I wanted to find out myself through the generosity of veteran cruisers willingness to share their options and experiences.

Clearly  the OP is having a laugh.

Why worry if you would fit on Cunard ,when you're not spending you're own money, but it's a freebie for passing the Commodore level of TA Cunard knowledge .

Give me a free cruise I'll fit in on any line

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

Clearly  the OP is having a laugh.

Why worry if you would fit on Cunard ,when you're not spending you're own money, but it's a freebie for passing the Commodore level of TA Cunard knowledge .

Give me a free cruise I'll fit in on any line

ok, let me spell this out for you. It's not a free cruise I am looking for or taking. It is a cruise we are considering. I doubt I will ever get the free cruise as they only give 250 free a year and there are a lot of travel agents out there. And yes, if it were a free cruise I could try to fit in but the question is if I want to try to fit in. I don't care if you give me something free or not, if I don't want it it is useless to me. I am too old to waste time doing something I really don't want to. And frankly somer of the attitudes that seem to come from the written word in here is telling. But I am the newcomer here and I am trying to stay positive and not pop off something that might sound offensive or disrespectful. You have a right to your opinion as to whether or not I am having a laugh with you but you are wrong.

• Like 2

I don't think for a moment you are having a joke. Nothing to do with me, but in the US, aren't there complicated (and expensive) tax requirements over free trips, etc?

not enough to worry me, and i've, to this point, never had a free cruise, but I will be getting one in December so I will let you know. 🙂

20 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It's the training for Cunard and it's for travel agents. Part of Commodore training level is a free cruise to experience the product, which I have qualified for. They only give away 250 a year so it's like winning the lottery. That is their training so whatever they do is what they do. 

From your quote , I took it that you had one of the 250 free cruises

• Like 1