Dinning on the Majestic

Jeter02

No,  I don't think you are showing what I kind of called 'cabanas'.

I think they are along the port and starboard windows,  on both sides???, and they are not separate cabanas,  but they are like square partitioned areas that create a cabana-like space, with a couple of loungers, chairs...

I will see if I can find a good video that shows this...

It seems that since this is not a Sanctuary, but part of the Adult Pool Area, and because of the high costs...  these are rarely booked???  (I can see why that would be - experience not worth the cost).  It sounds from prev. posts that when the ship is not fully booked and there are no rentals, the staff just lets guests use these areas and come and go???  

I could see who this would become an issue on sea days and on cool weather cruises, since this is a covered area on the Majestic.

Okay,  here you go....   

You can start viewing at about minute 22:40 into video.

It appears that there are the square curtained-off, rentals...  and a few open access not-curtained areas in between with like 3 or 4 loungers.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

The pictures I found online must be dated.  I guess Princess found a way to monetize the space with cabana rentals.  What a monumental waste of prime real estate, especially for an Alaska cruise where an indoor space with great views is sorely needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FredZiffle said:

So, under normal circumstances, Princess actually rents these cabanas out?

Princess-Cruises-Majestic-Princess-3297-12.jpg

No, these seating areas in the Conservatory section are open to anyone - first come/first served.  But they were also not monitored or anything on our voyage.  Just more general seating where people come and go around the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

No,  I don't think you are showing what I kind of called 'cabanas'.

I think they are along the port and starboard windows,  on both sides???, and they are not separate cabanas,  but they are like square partitioned areas that create a cabana-like space, with a couple of loungers, chairs...

I will see if I can find a good video that shows this...

It seems that since this is not a Sanctuary, but part of the Adult Pool Area, and because of the high costs...  these are rarely booked???  (I can see why that would be - experience not worth the cost).  It sounds from prev. posts that when the ship is not fully booked and there are no rentals, the staff just lets guests use these areas and come and go???  

I could see who this would become an issue on sea days and on cool weather cruises, since this is a covered area on the Majestic.

Okay,  here you go....   

You can start viewing at about minute 22:40 into video.

It appears that there are the square curtained-off, rentals...  and a few open access not-curtained areas in between with like 3 or 4 loungers.

You have the correct info.

When the video begins - in the pool area - IIRC all of that is open seating.  As the camera and walker moves towards the Conservatory around 23:40, this is the section that has the for-fee seating section.  At pretty much exactly 24:00 minute mark the camera is pointing at some seating as I had posted before (a sofa and couple of chairs).  You can see some stanchions and the "cubby" is cordoned off.  There should a price card sitting on a table surface. 

After passing by that section, the camera shows the seating posted by @FredZiffle which is free to occupy.

On our previous cruises to Alaska we have seen very few people at the Sanctuary or the Conservatory. So I don’t think you’re going to see many people at the Hollywood Conservatory "adults only" area. The best viewing up in Alaska when the ship is up in Glacier Bay is up on the outside deck areas.

I’m going to get too excited about the menus or if Princess is going change the dining venues from the Chinese to American. I’m sure they’ll be more food to eat and dining options than one will care about.

38 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

On our previous cruises to Alaska we have seen very few people at the Sanctuary or the Conservatory. So I don’t think you’re going to see many people at the Hollywood Conservatory "adults only" area. The best viewing up in Alaska when the ship is up in Glacier Bay is up on the outside deck areas.

I’m going to get too excited about the menus or if Princess is going change the dining venues from the Chinese to American. I’m sure they’ll be more food to eat and dining options than one will care about.

To Summers ago when I did Alaska, the sanctuary's busiest day was Glacier Bay day because they had like a package deal that involved a souvenir photo. It was definitely a completely different experience having viewed Glacier Bay through the sanctuary versus my other few times where I would just be on like the promenade deck.

As far as what I know from people working on board currently right now on the majestic, there will be no changes to any of the venues. It will all remain the same as it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Jeter,  do you remember, in the Sanctuary, did you get to hear/follow the National Park Service Naturalist's commentary as the ship navigated Glacier Bay?

Which ship?

Yes he were. It's wherever they had speakers on the outside areas of the ship. If you think about it if they're able to make an announcement and you can hear it anywhere then here in the naturalist was no issue. I was up in the sanctuary for Glacier Bay on the Golden Princess. When I did the Ruby Princess a few times, I did not go to the sanctuary but on the open deck up there you still could hear it as well as on the promenade

13 hours ago, bflysmile said:

I also wonder if this has to do with the reduced capacity. If a ship is sailing at 30%-50% capacity, are the exclusive areas as valued. Might be easier to eliminate another thing to manage as they get restarted with all these new protocols. 

No, not with us because our experience was pre-Covid.

The above posted with the chess board in the background is not actually showing a Majestic rental cabana... the area shown is actually part of multi-purpose, wraparound the entire front of ship, fun and exploration center.

The actual rental cabanas are outboard of both sides of the Hollywood Pool and loungers area that is aft of where the photo was taken. The rental cabanas have privacy curtains that can be partially opened, furnishings, a video/sound entertainment rig, and dining tables for drinks and food. Not super fancy, and they do not have direct exposure to sun and breeze because they are indoors.

The Majestic furnishings and decorations are unique and upscale compared with normal Princess standards. Some of the unique features have been repurposed to better meet Australian preferences as the ship is now the brand flagship based in Australia. Probably more changes coming though as the original design focus on wealthy Chinese travelers is now overtaken by events. Enjoy the modified and more spacious main theater in the lower level and the Harmony Restaurant which is upscale Cantonese with unusual dishes and new flavor profiles that were quite different than I, for one, was expecting.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

The pictures I found online must be dated.  I guess Princess found a way to monetize the space with cabana rentals.  What a monumental waste of prime real estate, especially for an Alaska cruise where an indoor space with great views is sorely needed.

The forward part of the Majestic Conservatory/Hollywood space offers a unique complete wraparound/unobstructed indoor view that is ideal for the Alaskan glacier viewing as it is warm, has plenty of seating, and the crew often bring in finger snacks on tables setup on the interior wall of this space. It is a nice break from outside viewing as the Alaska glacier transit involves hours of transit and viewing maneuvers... it gets cold out there folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRauppius said:

The forward part of the Majestic Conservatory/Hollywood space offers a unique complete wraparound/unobstructed indoor view that is ideal for the Alaskan glacier viewing as it is warm, has plenty of seating, and the crew often bring in finger snacks on tables setup on the interior wall of this space. It is a nice break from outside viewing as the Alaska glacier transit involves hours of transit and viewing maneuvers... it gets cold out there folks.

Have you experienced viewing the glaciers on a ship with a Conservatory before?  I just remember sailing the glaciers on a ship with a more traditional lounge up front with significantly more seating that was right up against the windows.  Any space by the windows that didn't have seating was clogged with people standing because, as you say, it gets cold out there.  With Conservatory seating a few feet away from the windows, I'm afraid that any views may be blocked unless you stand up and move closer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Good point, but I can imagine by now there is nothing left to be said on that matter relative to the original question.  

I was hoping for more confirmation of Harmony menu, but clearly that cannot happen until people sail on her.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:04 PM, trey420 said:

Looking on that menu I saw plenty to try.  Not sure what the concern would be.  Hell i plan to try the jelly fish, I didn't even know you could eat a jelly fish lol.  But I'm the kind of guy that would look forward to eating a dog if someone knew how to prepare it.  Plenty of pork belly and duck options to play it safe with too.

The jellyfish is yummy. It's served chilled. It doesn't have much flavour on it's own, the flavour is in the dressing. But it's all about the texture, it has a unique crunchy soft texture. It's very refreshing and light.

• Like 3