Dinning on the Majestic

Jeter02

We are on Nov 6 sailing so hoping all you folks on the earlier cruises post and let us know of any changes, if any.  Really interested to see if the "conservatory" with all the game tables is turned into the "sanctuary" that we typically see.  If not, then I guess we will save some money.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

We are on Nov 6 sailing so hoping all you folks on the earlier cruises post and let us know of any changes, if any.  Really interested to see if the "conservatory" with all the game tables is turned into the "sanctuary" that we typically see.  If not, then I guess we will save some money.

Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking the same thing the other day about the conservatory because I know the sanctuary is such a money maker and a place a solitude that so many people look forward to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope to clear away some "conservatory" misunderstandings.

The Hollywood Conservatory is actually a very nice "adults only" covered pool... and although the glass roof can be opened I have never seen it so. It also has a number of outboard facing cabanas on both sides of the conservatory. On my last Majestic sailing the cabanas hardly got any use and the crew often allowed first-come-first-served to use them for free. You can order food and drink in the conservatory or just take a short walk outboard and down one flight of stairs to the Lido Deck lobster roll and hamburger/hotdog joint or the noodle bar just across to the other side. The Lido hamburger joint serves the upscale Ernesto's fare, and also has chicken, brats, and barbecue brisket and chicken some evenings. Whatever you get be can brought back to the conservatory and eaten at your lounger, cabana, or the numerous card tables.

Also, the covered pool in the conservatory is great in the colder locations like Alaska.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TRauppius said:

The Hollywood Conservatory is actually a very nice "adults only" covered pool... and although the glass roof can be opened I have never seen it so. It also has a number of outboard facing cabanas on both sides of the conservatory. On my last Majestic sailing the cabanas hardly got any use and the crew often allowed first-come-first-served to use them for free. You can order food and drink in the conservatory or just take a short walk outboard and down one flight of stairs to the Lido Deck lobster roll and hamburger/hotdog joint or the noodle bar just across to the other side. The Lido hamburger joint serves the upscale Ernesto's fare, and also has chicken, brats, and barbecue brisket and chicken some evenings. Whatever you get be can brought back to the conservatory and eaten at your lounger, cabana, or the numerous card tables.

Also, the covered pool in the conservatory is great in the colder locations like Alaska.

There may be some confusion here.  The deck plans for the Majestic show that there is a "Hollywood Pool Club" which has the indoor swimming pool, hot tubs, and a bar, and a "Hollywood Conservatory", which occupies the same area as the Sanctuary does on other Royal Class ships.  

On 6/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, DiRonT said:

We are on Nov 6 sailing so hoping all you folks on the earlier cruises post and let us know of any changes, if any. 

We cruise on the Majestic for the first time for New Year's. We are very curious as to what, if any, changes have been made...

11 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We cruise on the Majestic for the first time for New Year's. We are very curious as to what, if any, changes have been made...

Everything pretty much is going to remain the same as you see it on the current ship maps. I have crew member friends who are working on board and I'll be joining for the second sailing. And they said nothing has been changed, is everything just remains the same as it would normally have been 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

So, no Sanctuary?

It's actually quite mind-boggling to me, considering the sanctuary is such a big money maker for princess as it's loved by so many guests. 

Interesting to see Harmony Menu, still shown on Princess.com, so probably has not changed. We do like Chinese food but this looks really exotic. Surprised they have not stayed with Chinese but adjusted for Western passengers. We would give it a try and can find things we would like in every course, but have to search for them.

Yes, I was thinking of the $$$ that the Sanctuary would bring in.

Maybe they are hoping for other revenue, drinks and food, if this area remains open access???

We have enjoyed the Sanctuary because of the exclusivity.

I wonder if the only separate lounger rentals are those cabanas in the Conservatory?

The thing is, cabanas would cost a lot more than loungers in the Sanctuary, right???

50 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

It's actually quite mind-boggling to me, considering the sanctuary is such a big money maker for princess as it's loved by so many guests. 

The ship was built for the Asian market. Assume a sanctuary is not a big draw there. It is now in Alaska, also not a big sanctuary itinerary. 

26 minutes ago, skynight said:

The ship was built for the Asian market. Assume a sanctuary is not a big draw there. It is now in Alaska, also not a big sanctuary itinerary. 

You are correct. However a lot of people do book The sanctuary especially Glacier Bay day, cuz they do a special package deal for that which includes a little souvenir and photograph. I can honestly say as well for the past six Alaskan cruises I've done they do get some great business up there obviously not as well as like a Caribbean itinerary

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I’ve been in the sanctuary before when my friend and I were the only ones there. We had our choice of any loungers that we wanted.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I wonder if the only separate lounger rentals are those cabanas in the Conservatory?

The thing is, cabanas would cost a lot more than loungers in the Sanctuary, right???

No loungers and no cabanas.  In the Conservatory area, there are a very small number of "lounge" rooms off the hallway, so not very private or quiet I would say.  They sat there empty during a NZ voyage we were on, displaying a ridiculous high price (same as a Sanctuary Cabana, IIRC).  Seemed like a total waste of space IMO to try and get a hugely inflated revenue stream for something that didn't look very special at all to me.  I don't recall the exact seating, but maybe a sofa and two chairs - or four chairs???  Looked to be a size to fit up to four people without feeling crowded, but nothing special IMO.

• Like 2

If I am correct, on most ships the adult pool area and the Sanctuary are open, and would not be as comfortable on a cold weather cruise.

This might be what would make them even MORE desirable in a large covered/enclosed space like the Majestic in cooler weather.

If this is not a booked and exclusive area, I can see many cruisers (what we call 'hogs or 'nesters'). setting up shop in this area, early a.m. for the duration.  Not so good for other guests...

14 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If I am correct, on most ships the adult pool area and the Sanctuary are open, and would not be as comfortable on a cold weather cruise.

This might be what would make them even MORE desirable in a large covered/enclosed space like the Majestic in cooler weather.

If this is not a booked and exclusive area, I can see many cruisers (what we call 'hogs or 'nesters'). setting up shop in this area, early a.m. for the duration.  Not so good for other guests...

Unfortunately that's the case on every single ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting to see Harmony Menu, still shown on Princess.com, so probably has not changed. We do like Chinese food but this looks really exotic. Surprised they have not stayed with Chinese but adjusted for Western passengers. We would give it a try and can find things we would like in every course, but have to search for them.

It is exotic, and very, very delicious. The duck salad is divine. Some of the other dishes are very unusual but worth trying, and the desserts were excellent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised at the lack of vegetarian options. I'm used to more in Asian restaurants which is why I go to Asian restaurants so often 

Edited by Ombud

Looking on that menu I saw plenty to try.  Not sure what the concern would be.  Hell i plan to try the jelly fish, I didn't even know you could eat a jelly fish lol.  But I'm the kind of guy that would look forward to eating a dog if someone knew how to prepare it.  Plenty of pork belly and duck options to play it safe with too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’ve been in the sanctuary before when my friend and I were the only ones there. We had our choice of any loungers that we wanted.

I also wonder if this has to do with the reduced capacity. If a ship is sailing at 30%-50% capacity, are the exclusive areas as valued. Might be easier to eliminate another thing to manage as they get restarted with all these new protocols. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRauppius said:

The Hollywood Conservatory is actually a very nice "adults only" covered pool... and although the glass roof can be opened I have never seen it so. It also has a number of outboard facing cabanas on both sides of the conservatory. On my last Majestic sailing the cabanas hardly got any use and the crew often allowed first-come-first-served to use them for free. 

So, under normal circumstances, Princess actually rents these cabanas out?

Princess-Cruises-Majestic-Princess-3297-12.jpg