Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

6 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Can someone with some iPhone experience pls help? I've just used Android phones.

I deleted the app on my iphone and reinstalled the app.  It works now.

if this does not work, call the app help line mentioned above by Barrykel.

10 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Can someone with some iPhone experience pls help? I've just used Android phones.

If its your iphone, you may need to reboot.

Doing this every so often is good for the phone.

So press and hold the button on the right

and the lower volume on the left at the same time.  ( If this is an iphone 12?)

you will see a slide to power off.  Slide that and wait a couple of minutes and power back up.  Do the same to power up.  Delete the app and reinstall.  Hopefully, this will solve your issues?

48 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

how do I stop it.  I tried hitting the button on the right to no avail.  It is stuck.

I would ***** down my iphone.  Press and hold power button on right and at the same time press and hold the volume lower button.  Slide off when you see the slider. Wait a min.  Then turn back on.

press and hold power button on the right again to come on.  I have an iphone 12.

Then, I would delete the MedallionClass app and reinstall.

If this does not work, call the MedallionClass app phone help line as was advised by Barrykel above.

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

I would ***** down my iphone.  Press and hold power button on right and at the same time press and hold the volume lower button.  Slide off when you see the slider. Wait a min.  Then turn back on.

press and hold power button on the right again to come on.  I have an iphone 12.

Then, I would delete the MedallionClass app and reinstall.

If this does not work, call the MedallionClass app phone help line as was advised by Barrykel above.

It deleted my word shutdown with **** 

I'm 120 days out from my cruise. Loaded up the app (Android), imported docs and pics as needed, ordered physical medallion, did whatever else I could at this point. So far, much better than previous attempts. I will be adding my spouse's information tomorrow, using my phone.

Once I have finished a session, I do the following:

1. Go to Settings -> Applications.
  2. Go to MedallionClass App - it's usually at the top of the list as it has just been used.
  3. Force Stop
  4. Go to Storage
    1. Clear Cache
    2. Clear Storage
  5. Restart phone.

This clears out the login data and permissions. This is a good thing. If you don't clear this out, it stays logged in to your account, which has the ultimate PII - your passport. Oh, and BTW, your credit card.

Once I am done with adding the information from my spouse, I'll clear the data once more (Steps 1 - 6 above) and then delete the app until it gets much closer in time to departure.

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

I'm 120 days out from my cruise. Loaded up the app (Android), imported docs and pics as needed, ordered physical medallion, did whatever else I could at this point. So far, much better than previous attempts. I will be adding my spouse's information tomorrow, using my phone.

2. Go to Medallion App - it's usually at the top of the list as it has just been used.
  3. Force Stop
  4. Go to Storage
    1. Clear Cache
    2. Clear Storage
  5. Restart phone.

This clears out the login data and permissions. This is a good thing. If you don't clear this out, it stays logged in to your account, which has the ultimate PII - your passport. Oh, and BTW, your credit card.

Once I am done with adding the information from my spouse, I'll clear the data once more (Steps 1 - 6 above) and then delete the app until it gets much closer in time to departure.

Why did you add all this, if you then took it out?  Why not wait until your closer?

When you reinstall the app in the future, will that information still be there?

Thanks 

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Why did you add all this, if you then took it out?  Why not wait until your closer?

When you reinstall the app in the future, will that information still be there?

Thanks 

I wanted to make sure that I had lead time if something happened. When you re-install, or even start the app after clearing the data, you enter your login information (either Username/Password or Booking Number) and everything comes back.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I do have 30+ years in IT and systems administration. That makes me appropriately paranoid by profession. This app is a required security nightmare. I use it as necessary and as little as possible until I get on the ship. Until then, I'll check on the website to make sure I'm not missing anything. 

Edited by CruiseMrB

19 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

I wanted to make sure that I had lead time if something happened. When you re-install, or even start the app after clearing the data, you enter your login information (either Username/Password or Booking Number) and everything comes back.

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I do have 30+ years in IT and systems administration. That makes me appropriately paranoid by profession. This app is a required security nightmare. I use it as necessary and as little as possible until I get on the ship. Until then, I'll check on the website to make sure I'm not missing anything. 

Thank you.  That’s a great idea.

5 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

2. Go to MedallionClass App - it's usually at the top of the list as it has just been used.
  3. Force Stop
  4. Go to Storage
    1. Clear Cache
    2. Clear Storage
  5. Restart phone.

5 hours ago, CruiseMrB said:

The data you enter is saved in a central Princess server - not in the App on your phone.  All you need to do is logout when done using MC App.  That way if someone else gets hold of your phone, they won't have access to MC App unless they can guess or know your login credentials.  Deleting the App is not going to remove your data from the Princess data server.  

The same thing is true if you use a bank app.  If you delete your bank's app, nothing happens to your banking information.

This may have been addressed before,  so please forgive me in advance for asking again...if I had an account on the old Medallion app, will the new Medallion class app import my info or do I have to start from scratch?

26 minutes ago, donswife said:

This may have been addressed before,  so please forgive me in advance for asking again...if I had an account on the old Medallion app, will the new Medallion class app import my info or do I have to start from scratch?

IDK how old you mean, but I would say YES if I interpret correctly.  We last cruised in Nov, 2019, and our data was there from before when I installed new version in May/June.  But Princess also has had our basic info for a long time which is associated with Captain's Circle profile and appeared in Cruise Personalizer for our bookings.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK how old you mean, but I would say YES if I interpret correctly.  We last cruised in Nov, 2019, and our data was there from before when I installed new version in May/June.  But Princess also has had our basic info for a long time which is associated with Captain's Circle profile and appeared in Cruise Personalizer for our bookings.

Our OM photos from 2018 and 2019 cruises were moved over into the app and of course our cruise personalizer info was moved over also.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Our OM photos from 2018 and 2019 cruises were moved over into the app and of course our cruise personalizer info was moved over also.  

My pictures, info, etc carried over from my 2020 cruise to my 2021 cruise.

• Thanks 1

Thanks  for all the helpful and encouraging replies!  We used Medallions in Oct 18 and Nov 19, so I am now hopeful that our information will be there. I will get brave and try installing the app today. Lord willing,  we will  be on the Grand in 2 months. 

7 minutes ago, donswife said:

Thanks  for all the helpful and encouraging replies!  We used Medallions in Oct 18 and Nov 19, so I am now hopeful that our information will be there. I will get brave and try installing the app today. Lord willing,  we will  be on the Grand in 2 months. 

Put your info in the cruise personalizer first, then from there you can checkin by installing the MedallionClass App.  There is a download link right on the cruise personalizer page.  Just use that.  It moved over our personalizer info.  
(not much info in there any more though) And it moved over our Photos from

past OM cruises 2018 & 2019 and our passport information, which

is still valid.

• Thanks 1

The easiest way is to completely shut down the phone.  Wait a few seconds and the restart the phone and log in again into the MedallionClass app.  Another option that does not require shutting off the phone is to scroll up on the display slightly from the bottom of the screen with your finger until you see a reduced image of the screen. Then flick the reduced image up to the top and off the screen.  That will shut down the app and you can then open the app again, which should take you back to the app’s home screen.  Let us know if you are having trouble doing either of these options.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gilgod said:

Sorry folks -- I was late to the party.  I responded directly from the CC digest and did not realize there were many replies after post #725 (didn't see that there was a page 30).

no worries;  it happens and thanks for the info in post#743

It worked! Then it didn't! Then it did!  I currently have green lane, but didn't try to answer the health section yet. It said it is too soon to pick arrival time (60 days out). It even still had my fish that I made last time!

22 minutes ago, donswife said:

It worked! Then it didn't! Then it did!  I currently have green lane, but didn't try to answer the health section yet. It said it is too soon to pick arrival time (60 days out). It even still had my fish that I made last time!

Lol!  Great glad you did it.  Just try the arrival time every few days.  Some say it worked 60 days-45 days- 30 days?

so, just recheck it.  Princess doesn’t state 

an exact time. Opens first for Plat/Elite/Suites, then the rest of guests.

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The data you enter is saved in a central Princess server - not in the App on your phone.  All you need to do is logout when done using MC App.  That way if someone else gets hold of your phone, they won't have access to MC App unless they can guess or know your login credentials.  Deleting the App is not going to remove your data from the Princess data server.  

The same thing is true if you use a bank app.  If you delete your bank's app, nothing happens to your banking information.

I don't want  it deleted from Princess; I just don't want that on my phone. I was not given a choice to enter this information in a clean browser that I could flush after the fact. 

In general mobile apps are pretty messy from a security perspective. Some folks do it better than others. The Princess MedallionClass app has traded availibility for security in a few key areas.

1 hour ago, CruiseMrB said:

I don't want  it deleted from Princess; I just don't want that on my phone. I was not given a choice to enter this information in a clean browser that I could flush after the fact. 

In general mobile apps are pretty messy from a security perspective. Some folks do it better than others. The Princess MedallionClass app has traded availibility for security in a few key areas.

The data is only "on your phone" when you are logged into the App.  It displays from the server, but is not saved on the phone.

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The data is only "on your phone" when you are logged into the App.  It displays from the server, but is not saved on the phone.

It does, but that's not the real problem, as you have to know how to access it (most folks don't bad actors could). The app can keep you logged in over restarts. Clearing the data dumps the login information and permissions. 

Edited by CruiseMrB

I have an iphone 6 that just auto-upgraded to IOS 12.5.4 last night.  Today I got an email bumping us to a min-suite for a November cruise on Sky so I thought I might as well get started with MedallionClass.

When downloading I got a msg that the app required IOS 13.x but I could download an older version of MC that would work.  So I did.  When I then opened the app it wouldn't let me do anything.

The App Store wouldn't lie to me, would it?