Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

7 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Now once to order drinks and noticed there was a service charge so didn’t complete the order.

Just curious, you said drinks, plural, were you ordering multiple drinks on one account ?

5 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

There is always a service charge on drinks, 18% I believe.

There should not be a Service Charge for a single drink if on Plus package. Assuming drink is within $12.

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Just curious, you said drinks, plural, were you ordering multiple drinks on one account ?

There should not be a Service Charge for a single drink if on Plus package. Assuming drink is within $12., 

In the case of the drinks package the service charge has already been applied. If you were ordering a single drink the amount would zero out on your account.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

There is always a service charge on drinks, 18% I believe.

That won't be there if you have the Premier Drinks Package (e.g. Plus fare)

There won't be an additional charge to use Ocean Now.

13 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I tried Ocean Now once to order drinks and noticed there was a service charge so didn’t complete the order.

Did you have the Premier Beverage Package? If no then an 18% service charge is added to the menu price of all beverage purchases. If yes, the service charge is included in the package and there is no additional service charge added per ordered beverage. There are a few exceptions when you do have the beverage package. A few examples. Order a drink menu priced over $12 and you will be charged the difference + 18% of the difference. Order a beverage not included in the package, example canned soda, and you will be charged the menu price + 18%. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

That won't be there if you have the Premier Drinks Package (e.g. Plus fare)

There won't be an additional charge to use Ocean Now.

Providing the wait person can find you.  I would rather take a few minutes walk up to a bar order and take away

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

Providing the wait person can find you.  I would rather take a few minutes walk up to a bar order and take away

The probkem with this, as reported on the recent Regal cruises,  is that the bartenders are so busy filling the Medallion orders, that they cannot serve anyone who just walks up to the bar.

I assume that there is some sort of time target that has to be achieved with regard to the completion of Medallion orders, thus making it difficult for bar staff to serve "walk ups".

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The probkem with this, as reported on the recent Regal cruises,  is that the bartenders are so busy filling the Medallion orders, that they cannot serve anyone who just walks up to the bar.

I assume that there is some sort of time target that has to be achieved with regard to the completion of Medallion orders, thus making it difficult for bar staff to serve "walk ups".

I do not believe that every bar on board is getting the orders from the app. Just go to a bar where the orders aren’t being served by. Lots of bars on board they can’t all be doing app drinks

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I do not believe that every bar on board is getting the orders from the app. Just go to a bar where the orders aren’t being served by. Lots of bars on board they can’t all be doing app drinks

As I understand it, the bar used will be the one nearest to you when you order it. At least that's the way it worked on our Medallion cruise pre-pandemic. So, likely all bars are being used, but they could be busy or not depending on how many are ordering.

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

As I understand it, the bar used will be the one nearest to you when you order it. At least that's the way it worked on our Medallion cruise pre-pandemic. So, likely all bars are being used, but they could be busy or not depending on how many are ordering.

Since I almost always go to Crooners or other insides bars I am not too worried

Guest Snaxmuppet
8 hours ago, memoak said:

AFAIK there is never any additional charge when drinks if you have the drinks package whether you order via the app or the bar.

4 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

That seems the most logical process, but as we know, "logic" and "Medallion " rarely appear in the same sentence!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Since I almost always go to Crooners or other insides bars I am not too worried

You probably woukd be worried if you were on a  UK Seacation, with the rain pouring down, and 2000 Brits are maximising their drinks package!

On 7/28/2021 at 11:28 AM, Thrak said:

I had those issues until I emailed the app team. It took a few emails but suddenly things started working. You likely have a data translation issue. Calling Princess isn't likely to do any good. Send email and detail your issues.

askoceanmedallion@carnival.com

Thank you! I am going to email them now. 

"I had those issues until I emailed the app team. It took a few emails but suddenly things started working. You likely have a data translation issue. Calling Princess isn't likely to do any good. Send email and detail your issues.

askoceanmedallion@carnival.com"

Dumb question and comment.

What causes data translation issues, what are they, and why create a program that would even have issues which customers don't understand? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skynight said:

"I had those issues until I emailed the app team. It took a few emails but suddenly things started working. You likely have a data translation issue. Calling Princess isn't likely to do any good. Send email and detail your issues.

askoceanmedallion@carnival.com"

Dumb question and comment.

What causes data translation issues, what are they, and why create a program that would even have issues which customers don't understand? 

Hard to answer precisely without being on the inside.  When converting from an old system to a new system, there is normally an expected set of values for each data entity or field.  Also, there are often expected combinations of different data elements.  Somethings require interpretation of different data elements which indicate a particular situation, action, or status.  We don't know the design of the new system and database versus the old.  Often older systems have their own "bad" data which may not conform to the expected rules (things get off-base over time or due to old bugs).

When a data conversion process is undertaken, there is often a requirement to "cleanse" the old data due to anomalies.  If this isn't considered, bad things can happen such as the conversion process kicking our records that don't convert or the conversion of bad data into the new system which can then gum up the works so to speak. 

If data conversion rules are not complete and robust, it can introduce flaws into how the old data is converted over to the new system.

It is impossible to know exactly what issues they had in data conversion, but with my past IT implementation experience, I know it can be a difficult and tedious effort and takes a lot more time than most people estimate at the outset of a project.

20 minutes ago, skynight said:

As Steeler says, the most likely cause is that they created a new database for the MedallionClass app, requiring a procedure to synchronize the new database with the existing one used by the website, and that procedure was not properly tested and is still horribly buggy. The answer to the 'why' question is the oldest one in the book - they were sold a bill of goods by the salesman for the company they hired to develop the app, who promised far more than their development group was able to deliver. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hard to answer precisely without being on the inside.

It is impossible to know exactly what issues they had in data conversion, but with my past IT implementation experience, I know it can be a difficult and tedious effort and takes a lot more time than most people estimate at the outset of a project.

Similar to my experience in construction: The last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loretta_Thomas said:

Thank you! I am going to email them now. 

They might take a long time to respond to email, though they do say they are working through problems in accordance with Sail Date, so you might get a quicker response. If you are really concerned you might call Support number 844-525-0942 and be prepared to wait. BTW while on hold the background music will probably stop. Don't hang up, you have not been dropped. Periodically you will hear the All Agents Busy message.

I want to make a reservation and pay for it for a specialty restaurant for a friend.  I used to be able to do this at princess.com in the personalizer but that option is no longer available.  Does anyone know how this can be done so I can use my cc to pay for the dinner?  Thanks

10 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

I want to make a reservation and pay for it for a specialty restaurant for a friend.  I used to be able to do this at princess.com in the personalizer but that option is no longer available.  Does anyone know how this can be done so I can use my cc to pay for the dinner?  Thanks

Call princess gifts and services line.

1-855-500-7690

It is under princess.com  gifts and

services.

Tonna

17 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

Use this link:

https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/thirdPartyGifting/showHome.page

This takes you to the page to order.  You could do a balcony breakfast or balcony dinner or cruise credits for a specialty restaurant.  Or, call the number I gave you

To see if you can pick a specialty restaurant maybe?

Regards, Tonna

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Use this link:

https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/thirdPartyGifting/showHome.page

This takes you to the page to order.  You could do a balcony breakfast or balcony dinner or cruise credits for a specialty restaurant.  Or, call the number I gave you

To see if you can pick a specialty restaurant maybe?

Regards, Tonna

Tried the link and it took me to a sign in page using First and last name along with booking number and it says to sign out of the booking and try again.  Was not in the booking and neither was my friend whom I was trying to book for.  Appears the gift ordering link is broken.  I will try the number you gave me tomorrow when I have time to hang on the phone.  So much fun--NOT.

Thank you for your suggestions. 

8 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

Tried the link and it took me to a sign in page using First and last name along with booking number and it says to sign out of the booking and try again.  Was not in the booking and neither was my friend whom I was trying to book for.  Appears the gift ordering link is broken.  I will try the number you gave me tomorrow when I have time to hang on the phone.  So much fun--NOT.

Thank you for your suggestions. 

Must be issues.  It works for me.  The gifts line can do it for you.  They will send you an email confirmation.

stay safe