Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

I really need a new profile "photo". Currently I have a picture of Dory - the blue fish from Nemo. I've tried using existing pictures from the gallery but the app seems to squish and distort them badly. Not sure what's up with that or how to get around the issue.

Hmmm... Just tried another pic and it turned the thing sideways as well as squishing it.

Edited by Thrak

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I really need a new profile "photo". Currently I have a picture of Dory - the blue fish from Nemo. I've tried using existing pictures from the gallery but the app seems to squish and distort them badly. Not sure what's up with that or how to get around the issue.

Neither do I - except have a smaller size original photo to upload.

25 minutes ago, Snowboarders said:

I cannot find baggage labels under any of the headings, thought they would be under documents, but nothing there?

They can be found under ‘Travel Summary’ area of Princess Website, Cruise Personaliser - not on the app. You should be able to login using your booking number, name & date of birth if you don’t already have a Princess website account.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Snowboarders said:

I cannot find baggage labels under any of the headings, thought they would be under documents, but nothing there?

You can’t do it via the app as far as I can tell, but this is how I’ve done it:

- Click on the ‘Booked Guests’ drop down menu and then ‘Log into Cruise Personaliser’

- Luggage tag and travel summary will be the top link

- This takes you to a documents page with a link to print your luggage tags

Instructional image below 🙂 We’re on Saturday’s sailing too ☺️

DCE47135-C14E-45C5-ABC8-F06B53ABA241.thumb.jpeg.94b79556be1f91d60d456d9095891aca.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Thanks for that.

I have just read the Terms and Conditions for the package and nowhere there does it exclude drinks delivered to the room so I am hoping that it is official.

I don't see why it shouldn't be though... if you can get a drink delivered to anywhere on the ship then why not your cabin?

Yes, I read this also. The exclusion of room service has been removed. Also noticed that the terms now specifically state that you will be charged the difference in price for beverages over the package limit, US$12 in the US. This is a change from the previous terms.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Well we have to cancel out Oct 31 2021 California Coastal, so my interest in this App is waning :-). Next up Mexico Feb 2022 - so I can wait for August 31 update 🙂

48 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Tedferg,  I hope the app update makes it easier for everyone to input their info.  Good luck

I do not believe there is an AUG 31 app update (technical) per se.  It was said that during August, they expected to complete all of the data conversion (corrupt data) issues.  New releases are posted to Play Store when they seem to have a bundle of fixes ready to push out.  The last was around July 24.  Who knows when the next might come?  I should think before end of August.  The App program and the data are two different things.  I would keep checking for App updates.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do not believe there is an AUG 31 app update (technical) per se.  It was said that during August, they expected to complete all of the data conversion (corrupt data) issues.  New releases are posted to Play Store when they seem to have a bundle of fixes ready to push out.  The last was around July 24.  Who knows when the next might come?  I should think before end of August.  The App program and the data are two different things.  I would keep checking for App updates.

Thank you - I remember a comment that there would be a MAJOR update on Aug 1st later restated as Aug 31st. @Steelers36In your discussions with the powers that be, can you ask why things might change so radically when a person has not made any changes. In my case DW did not show on Personal Info and Emergency Airport etc. did not show. Support fixed the DW problem while online with them and subsequently Emergency Airport and Travel options appeared. Now DW has gone and my Personal  info is reduced to Security Photo, Profile Photo, PIN Code.

BTW I am not asking you to solve my problem, just thought you seem to have better access to information.

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

hank you - I remember a comment that there would be a MAJOR update on Aug 1st later restated as Aug 31st.

This was one comment made by one person and soooooooooo many seem to be taking it as gospel. Even if the statement was made to the person who posted it that doesn't mean it's correct. Many statements have been made to people by Princess reps and many of them haven't actually panned out.

I wish people would stop freaking out about this stupid app. Use it or don't use it. Either way you won't be denied boarding. Use your phone/tablet on the ship or lock it in your safe. It doesn't matter. The Medallion is the same as the cruise card. Nobody must use the app despite the verbiage that threatens you won't be allowed to board. The latest MedallionClass Monday video clearly states they will take care of you at the port.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you - I remember a comment that there would be a MAJOR update on Aug 1st later restated as Aug 31st. @Steelers36In your discussions with the powers that be, can you ask why things might change so radically when a person has not made any changes. In my case DW did not show on Personal Info and Emergency Airport etc. did not show. Support fixed the DW problem while online with them and subsequently Emergency Airport and Travel options appeared. Now DW has gone and my Personal  info is reduced to Security Photo, Profile Photo, PIN Code.

BTW I am not asking you to solve my problem, just thought you seem to have better access to information.

I don't really have much better access to the type of info you report above.  It does make me think data corruption issue and not app issue.  (Assuming you are on a supported device, with supported O/S, and with latest MC App release installed as givens). 

I think you should call them again.  Before that, I would try logging in using YOUR booking code, name, birthdate, and see what happens.  Then, login with DW name, birthdate and see what happens.  When logged in as each other, check on the other partner profile info.  That way, you have a detailed outline of what works and what doesn't and what data is missing when you speak with Medallion team.  I was OTP today with one and first time ever the Level 1 person could get right into the MC App and see what I saw.  It helped to pinpoint the issue I had (if curious, check for my upcoming post on the DineMyWay thread 😉 ).

56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This was one comment made by one person and soooooooooo many seem to be taking it as gospel. Even if the statement was made to the person who posted it that doesn't mean it's correct. Many statements have been made to people by Princess reps and many of them haven't actually panned out.

I wish people would stop freaking out about this stupid app. Use it or don't use it. Either way you won't be denied boarding. Use your phone/tablet on the ship or lock it in your safe. It doesn't matter. The Medallion is the same as the cruise card. Nobody must use the app despite the verbiage that threatens you won't be allowed to board. The latest MedallionClass Monday video clearly states they will take care of you at the port.

When an update is published in the app store (Apple or Google) it can be staggered so not all users get the new update immediately.  A major update might have been published on the 1st  but then take a couple of weeks to reach all users.  You can delete and re-download the same app again and again and keep getting the old version,  but give it a week and you will usually catch up.

This is a deliberate option developers can select to prevent a new bug being downloaded to every user on the day a new release is published,  speaking as a developer it can be a nightmare when you publish a new version of an app only to find there is a new problem so this rolling out method means at least you get a chance to catch new bugs before they hit everyone.  Although the app is obviously not working perfectly for everyone,  I am sure they would rather not break it for more by rushing releases.

So,  if it is not working for you and your cruise is a few weeks or more away it might be best just to uninstall,   give it a week and then try it again,  that might just do the trick.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ukwizard said:

So,  if it is not working for you and your cruise is a few weeks or more away it might be best just to uninstall,   give it a week and then try it again,  that might just do the trick.

They just did an update on 7/24, so 8/1 or even 8/31 seems too soon. Plus, I do think that Steeler36 is right that the issue is data corruption rather than an app bug. I just got off the phone with a support rep, and she was able to see the issues with my account and file a report, but she said it might take over a week to fix, since we're not sailing until 12/11 and the team is apparently busy fixing issues for folks who are sailing in the next few weeks. It's probably a good idea to call the support line (844-525-0942) and report your issue, but don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Neither do I - except have a smaller size original photo to upload.

On my February 2019 Medallion cruise I agonized over my photo for hours and could not get it right. I gave up and went to the port with a wonky barely visible photo.  No one said a word until I stepped on the actual ship when the crew member greeting everyone simply looked at the photo and asked if I could pause while she retook my picture. No fuss, no grief.  Hopefully all problems with Medallion can be fixed when we are actually there.  The important things are passport and health check now. Don't sweat a bad photo.

19 minutes ago, Sail away MK said:

On my February 2019 Medallion cruise I agonized over my photo for hours and could not get it right. I gave up and went to the port with a wonky barely visible photo.  No one said a word until I stepped on the actual ship when the crew member greeting everyone simply looked at the photo and asked if I could pause while she retook my picture. No fuss, no grief.  Hopefully all problems with Medallion can be fixed when we are actually there.  The important things are passport and health check now. Don't sweat a bad photo.

Be advised that many people have update or reloaded the app several times and cannot even get a screen that allows them to scan a passport or do a health check they will have to do everything at the pier

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

Be advised that many people have update or reloaded the app several times and cannot even get a screen that allows them to scan a passport or do a health check they will have to do everything at the pier

I'm all green lane but I think I'll go ahead and break things. I was never able to get the passport scan to work but was able to manually enter the info. I think I'll delete my passport info and see if it lets me try the scan again. If not, it's really not difficult to enter the info manually again. I doubt the scan is actually necessary but I don't mind breaking things to give it another try. If I need a scan and can't get it to work this time I'm sure they will simply scan it at the terminal. No biggie.

• Like 2

Don't forget the majority of processing takes place on the servers (or in the cloud as they say).  The applications that run on the servers are much much more complex than the app that runs on your phone.  So they could be making changes to the servers applications at any time and we would have no idea they were doing it. 

• Like 1

Okay. I did the Guinea Pig thing.

Deleted my passport info. The app then gave me another chance to scan the passport. After looking back at various posts I saw the "bar" was supposed to turn orange. Finally got that to happen and was able to scan the passport.  Of course the helpful post said to be sure to have it in Landscape Mode. NOT. The app showed a picture that was clearly in Portrait Mode. (Not sure it matters but that was how the illustration in the app showed it so I did it that way.) Okay. Got the scan and then it asked to take a picture. Apparently that should be in Landscape Mode. D'Oh! Delete, delete, delete. Try again. Another 5 or 6 tries and got it to scan again.

Finally got both of our passports scanned and entered that way with a pic. Of course the first time it actually scanned my wife's passport rather than having her name ALL CAPS like it is on the passport, it was a mishmash of upper case and lower case with no rhyme or reason. However, eventually both passports did successfully scan and the proper info showed up along with a picture.

What a huge pain in the butt. I'm guessing that the scanned image was not at all necessary as there was a keyboard icon on the "scan" page that allowed one to enter all of the info manually. The only thing that method missed was the actual passport image.

Obviously I didn't really need to do this but figured I'd do it anyway so that anybody else who had failed to get the thing to scan would know that it can be done. I did have to select to delete my info several times before it actually got deleted but, eventually, I got it all done. If anybody is freaking out because they weren't able to do the scan they can definitely do it over again by deleting their passport info. If they couldn't do the scan and aren't freaking out about it I'd guess they are just fine with the manually entered information.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, favouriteplaces said:

They can be found under ‘Travel Summary’ area of Princess Website, Cruise Personaliser - not on the app. You should be able to login using your booking number, name & date of birth if you don’t already have a Princess website account.

And this just shows what a cluster**** Princess have set up. You do a small amount of check in on the Personalizer then the majority of requirements on the App, if you can get it on your device, and then you get your boarding tags from the Personalizer.

Beyond words really how a company could set it up this way.

• Like 3

Everyone please don't stress out about this.  No one needs to start their vacation six months out stressing over an app.  I'm 60 days out for my cruise.  I have four out of five green checks.  When I'm 30 days out I will open app to pick arrival time.  I do not need to be the first 100 or 1,000 on the ship.  Have a wonderful stress-free day.  

Ps Trak mentioned in his post above.  if all else fails, everything can be done at the port. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, leck57 said:

And this just shows what a cluster**** Princess have set up. You do a small amount of check in on the Personalizer then the majority of requirements on the App, if you can get it on your device, and then you get your boarding tags from the Personalizer.

If only ... they had a year of downtime to polish the app.

Oh wait.  They did.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Everyone please don't stress out about this.  No one needs to start their vacation six months out stressing over an app.  I'm 60 days out for my cruise.  I have four out of five green checks.  When I'm 30 days out I will open app to pick arrival time.  I do not need to be the first 100 or 1,000 on the ship.  Have a wonderful stress-free day.  

Ps Trak mentioned in his post above.  if all else fails, everything can be done at the port. 

This is so true, thank you and Thrak. I must admit I was fascinated by the chance to make reservations for Anytime, a small convenience and one that might ensure we'd finish dinner in time to see the show. Then the 'techy' in me took hold and wanted to solve the problems, in the same way I fiddle with email when it periodically misbehaves. As you advise, sit back, turn up at the port with appropriate documentation and all will be well 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leck57 said:

Totally due to poor leadership.  The top brass is out of touch with the wants, needs and desires of their most loyal customers.

• Like 1