Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

2 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Eh, as a software engineer, it seems to me that it's mostly the software. There are a lot of ways to do things and that makes their system complex which leads to bugs. You can log in with username/password or booking # so that's two ways to log in. That could lead to data integrity problems but those problems happen because of problems with the software. I doubt the app and the website share a lot of code either which means double the chance for bugs.

Agreed, but the App database is populated from the main booking system... POLAR.  So the data cnvn software may have several issues which would be distinct from the App software.

Does booking a Guarantee (cabin to be assigned later; no Plus or Premium package) automatically put you in the Blue Lane?

When doing our check-in on the app and ordering the Medallion, it did not give us an option to even pay the $10 to ship. It just said to pick up the medallion at the port.

I would have thought the cabin information could be automatically loaded on the medallion later, even if it had been shipped to us beforehand.

Not a big deal, just wondered why we were not given the option to ship. We are in the US and it was 75 days out when I ordered.

Thank you for any insight.

9 minutes ago, Blue_Flame said:

Does booking a Guarantee (cabin to be assigned later; no Plus or Premium package) automatically put you in the Blue Lane?

When doing our check-in on the app and ordering the Medallion, it did not give us an option to even pay the $10 to ship. It just said to pick up the medallion at the port.

I would have thought the cabin information could be automatically loaded on the medallion later, even if it had been shipped to us beforehand.

Not a big deal, just wondered why we were not given the option to ship. We are in the US and it was 75 days out when I ordered.

Thank you for any insight.

Since your cabin is not “loaded” on your medallion, that would not be an impediment to shipping it or moving you to the green lane. But I have no idea why they are doing this, but that’s not the reason.  You’ve already PIF?

Ive had a guarantee and been green laned.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Since your cabin is not “loaded” on your medallion, that would not be an impediment to shipping it or moving you to the green lane. But I have no idea why they are doing this, but that’s not the reason.  You’ve already PIF?

Yes, paid in full at time of booking.

All boxes "checked". Just did not get an option for shipping.

Edited by Blue_Flame

I am getting a little worried. 

We usually print out our boarding passes for check-in at the pier. For the upcoming cruise on October 8, I am not able to find that on the Princess web page, which told me to go to the Princess App for boarding documents. I cannot find anything about boarding passes on the App. Am I missing something? I did printed out the luggage tags that was on the web page but no boarding passes to print. 

2 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

We usually print out our boarding passes for check-in at the pier. For the upcoming cruise on October 8, I am not able to find that on the Princess web page, which told me to go to the Princess App for boarding documents. I cannot find anything about boarding passes on the App. Am I missing something? I did printed out the luggage tags that was on the web page but no boarding passes to print. 

Princess got rid of printed BP's ages ago (2021 I think).  The only BP will be in the App.  It shows up about 11 days prior to sail date and will show ship, your name, sail date, green/blue lane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

You should be able to print out your Travel Summary and take that to make your way onto the ship. Everyone will be so very helpful at embarkation to get you settled and on the ship and ready for your first drink before you know it!

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

12 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

You should be able to print out your Travel Summary and take that to make your way onto the ship. Everyone will be so very helpful at embarkation to get you settled and on the ship and ready for your first drink before you know it!

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess got rid of printed BP's ages ago (2021 I think).  The only BP will be in the App.  It shows up about 11 days prior to sail date and will show ship, your name, sail date, green/blue lane.

Thank you so much for the needed information! As a senior, it's difficult to learn all these technology stuff. Just not a tech person! Thanks again! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

How do people manage if they can't (or prefer not to) install the App on their phones? 
Just show up at the terminal building?

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, txauntiemame said:

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC)
Thanks!  I wanted to get a better understanding, but couldn't find anything technical online.  Your answer satisfied me about the Medallion, now I'll see what I can find out about the App and if it has any privacy/security protocols above that of normal WiFi.
(I spent way too much time in IT Security!  My default is distrust.)

I like the term TNO - Trust No One when it comes to IT Security.

This probably doesn’t belong exactly here, but I’m not sure it merits its own thread.

I booked a June cruise yesterday with my new TA.  I won’t go into why I needed to make a change, but I did.  It is the same agency, different office.  I booked 2 cabins because I am taking my daughter and her family with us.

I got home and entered my booking number into the app. It looked different than the day before and I figured it knows I have an upcoming voyage.  It told me the booking number was assigned to someone else. So, I went to Princess.com. I entered first name, last name, birthday and it told me the birthday didn’t match their file.  It was all correct information entered correctly.

I thought maybe, being Princess, I need to wait a day for one system to talk to another.  Nope.  Same messages today. 

Then I tried my wife’s information and it let me in.

Is there a primary cruiser identified somewhere in the database, and it was reversed from the past by my new TA, or do I have a bigger problem?

16 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

This probably doesn’t belong exactly here, but I’m not sure it merits its own thread.

I booked a June cruise yesterday with my new TA.  I won’t go into why I needed to make a change, but I did.  It is the same agency, different office.  I booked 2 cabins because I am taking my daughter and her family with us.

I got home and entered my booking number into the app. It looked different than the day before and I figured it knows I have an upcoming voyage.  It told me the booking number was assigned to someone else. So, I went to Princess.com. I entered first name, last name, birthday and it told me the birthday didn’t match their file.  It was all correct information entered correctly.

I thought maybe, being Princess, I need to wait a day for one system to talk to another.  Nope.  Same messages today. 

Is there a primary cruiser identified somewhere in the database, and it was reversed from the past by my new TA, or do I have a bigger problem?

Nah, I'd say it's just the usual Princess baloney.  I'd wait at least a week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

IMO, it does belong here because this is the master thread for the Princess Medallion App... unless CC decides to start a new one.  Personally, I do periodically consider if the App has changed/progressed enough to replace this sticky with a "Part 4".  It still has a lot of data corruption issues, but perhaps functionally it is better?  Hard for me to assess for myself since I don't have any active bookings.

A few comments for you to explore:

1. Can you get into your booking on Princess.com (Cruise Personalizer)?  Either by login or by Name, BD, Booking Reference.
  2. Can you get into daughter's booking using CP or the App?  Can you get in using her spouse/partner information?
  3. Contact TA on Monday and have her pull up your res and read back your BD.  Have her correct if needed.
  4. Assuming you can login to Princess.com, check your personal Profile record to review BD field.

It is possible the TA miss-keyed your BD into POLAR (reservation system), but I would think that should just auto-fill once your CC Member number is inserted.  But perhaps the TA did it another way.

ETA:  I am wondering if this new-to-you TA, entered your Name in POLAR and got one or more duplicates and then clicked on one with the wrong BD for you.  Just a SWAG.

ETA2:  Yes, it can take some time for the App to be sync'd up with POLAR records, although I have a sense that is faster these days.  That said, the booking is there in the App database since you were able to access it via wife's info.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IMO, it does belong here because this is the master thread for the Princess Medallion App... unless CC decides to start a new one.  Personally, I do periodically consider if the App has changed/progressed enough to replace this sticky with a "Part 4".  It still has a lot of data corruption issues, but perhaps functionally it is better?  Hard for me to assess for myself since I don't have any active bookings.

A few comments for you to explore:

1. Can you get into your booking on Princess.com (Cruise Personalizer)?  Either by login or by Name, BD, Booking Reference.
  2. Can you get into daughter's booking using CP or the App?  Can you get in using her spouse/partner information?
  3. Contact TA on Monday and have her pull up your res and read back your BD.  Have her correct if needed.
  4. Assuming you can login to Princess.com, check your personal Profile record to review BD field.

It is possible the TA miss-keyed your BD into POLAR (reservation system), but I would think that should just auto-fill once your CC Member number is inserted.  But perhaps the TA did it another way.

ETA:  I am wondering if this new-to-you TA, entered your Name in POLAR and got one or more duplicates and then clicked on one with the wrong BD for you.  Just a SWAG.

ETA2:  Yes, it can take some time for the App to be sync'd up with POLAR records, although I have a sense that is faster these days.  That said, the booking is there in the App database since you were able to access it via wife's info.

All good points.  The new TA said she was using the file created by the old TA.  That had the correct BD and worked fine. I will call Monday to see if she can figure it out. After all, that’s what she’s there for.

I am getting emails from Princess asking me to buy air and excursions.  At least they got my email correct and know I’m the guy that just booked a cruise with them.

I’m not gonna do anything with my daughters booking.  She will eventually tell me whether she got in and accessed it.

I can log in to Princess.com.  So I can look at my profile.  I will do that next.

• Like 1

@BamaVol, based on my experience with corrupt POLAR data, I'm recommending you also check the passport numbers in your reservation.  Being the kind of person who's got them memorized, the incorrect numbers stood out like a sore thumb when I first saw the error (reversed with DH), but it's not something I would have thought to confirm "knowing" that information should have been automatically populated from our profiles.  (Our reversed birthdates were a bit more obvious 🥴).  HTH!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kamelia said:

@BamaVol, based on my experience with corrupt POLAR data, I'm recommending you also check the passport numbers in your reservation.  Being the kind of person who's got them memorized, the incorrect numbers stood out like a sore thumb when I first saw the error (reversed with DH), but it's not something I would have thought to confirm "knowing" that information should have been automatically populated from our profiles.  (Our reversed birthdates were a bit more obvious 🥴).  HTH!

The problem was solved through live chat with a Princess rep this afternoon.

My TA entered my birthday incorrectly.  Instead of 1-12-65 (I wish), she entered 1-2-65.  She made me 10 days older, which is totally unacceptable!  But easy to see how it was done through carelessness. 

The rep saw it, she fixed it, and then she tried to upsell me. I’m willing to forgive her because I was able to get into my booking.

Interesting that Princess requires a birthdate for the booking and it isn’t cross checked against your profile.  I’m sure I’m not the first one this happened to.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

My TA entered my birthday incorrectly.  Instead of 1-12-65 (I wish), she entered 1-2-65.  She made me 10 days older, which is totally unacceptable!  But easy to see how it was done through carelessness. 

The rep saw it, she fixed it, and then she tried to upsell me. I’m willing to forgive her because I was able to get into my booking.

Interesting that Princess requires a birthdate for the booking and it isn’t cross checked against your profile.  I’m sure I’m not the first one this happened to.

I'm glad for you it was an easy (and pretty much painless) fix!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Glad it was fairly painless to get it fixed.  IDK for certain, but if you give a rep CC Member Number and they enter that, then perhaps the profile fields populate in POLAR record.

Perhaps @jwattle, @ceilidh1, or the Atlanta guy with the scuba mask (sorry, brain block and I cannot find his handle) know about any auto-fill feature in POLAR.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Guest Cruisenewbie20181

We have the Plus package but I am being charged $10.00 for medallion shipping.

is it because I ordered two wrist bands?

1 hour ago, Cruisenewbie20181 said:

We have the Plus package but I am being charged $10.00 for medallion shipping.

is it because I ordered two wrist bands?

Some evidence has been presented here that the charge shows but doesn’t go through.  However, some folks report that they were charged and had to visit guest services to obtain a refund.  I was in the first group. I don’t think the accessories mandate a charge to Plus package purchasers. 

• Like 2