Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

The app was not working properly on my newer Lenovo android 12 tablet and seemed to want to "speak" the screen information, and it would not allow scrolling.  I uninstalled it and now I cannot even log in.  However the app is fine with an older Samsung tablet as well as a new Samsung tablet and phone as well.

• Like 1

Found a way to get the app to work on Verizon Samsung S22 devices with Android 13 with all updates complete.  Using the logical information from member nzOdy, I dug into individual app accessibility options. I also checked on both device accessibility settings and everything was disabled/off. We had a few installed apps wanting accessibility access (AVG Antivirus, Nova7) but those too were turned off.  Started looking into how to Reset accessibility only, not the full system, and found a page online that had directions I didn't know. Completed the steps on both devices and it now the app works like it is supposed to.

Note: This worked for me, so no guarantees for anyone else.

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Reset (near bottom of screen),

Reset Accessibility Settings,

Click Reset settings button,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Takes a few seconds, then is finished and no reboot required. Open Medallion App and it worked fine and could scroll, etc.  No Voice Green Boxes around logos, etc. 

The Webpage is on The Droid Guy and is "How to Reset Accessibility Settings on Galaxy S22. (I didn't want to break rules posting a link)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, hagainps said:

Found a way to get the app to work on Verizon Samsung S22 devices with Android 13 with all updates complete.  Using the logical information from member nzOdy, I dug into individual app accessibility options. I also checked on both device accessibility settings and everything was disabled/off. We had a few installed apps wanting accessibility access (AVG Antivirus, Nova7) but those too were turned off.  Started looking into how to Reset accessibility only, not the full system, and found a page online that had directions I didn't know. Completed the steps on both devices and it now the app works like it is supposed to.

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Takes a few seconds, then is finished and no reboot required. Open Medallion App and it worked fine and could scroll, etc.  No Voice Green Boxes around logos, etc. 

The Webpage is on The Droid Guy and is "How to Reset Accessibility Settings on Galaxy S22. (I didn't want to break rules posting a link)

Thanks very much, worked perfectly here, Android 10, latest app version on a Sammy Galaxy S9+. No more green boxes and loud speech, scrolling works though it also worked for me before I did this small hack.

• Like 2

App works just fine on my Samsung S9. Could it be that it's designed for older androids only? Some of the best things on the update:

1. Fully integrated with Princess.com --I don't need to go to the website for anything (travel summary, luggage tag, excursions  -- its all on the app)

2. I can track my medallion shipment! 

3. Loads faster. I really don't miss that circle of death

FWIW my Android version is 11.0.09.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

too bad no such setting on my pixel (reset accessibility settings, reset app settings may do it but its a pain to setup again after)  and i'm not going to reset my phone to get the stupid app to maybe work

hope princess figures this out..i can see lot of people complaining about this on app store now and they should be able to push out a fixed version soon hopefully. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nzOdy said:

Update, I've been communicating my engineering theories to a CS representative on Twitter/X. Latest reply which just came through:

"Thank you for your comments, which we've shared with our IT team, they have confirmed there is an issue and they are working on it. We will follow up with you on Monday with an update. We appreciate your patience. Thank you."

I'm glad you had luck communicating with someone. I called the general help phone number TWICE and the moment I explained my situation I was hung up on BOTH times. 

My third try I wanted to call just to complain about being hung up on and that man tried hard to help. He couldn't do anything, took my info, and said he would escalate it. 

I ended up here looking for solutions... This is our first cruise and I am so sad at the level of customer service when 2 out 3 just hang up once they know they're going down a road they can't help a customer. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in October of 2024. Every time I try to add this booking to the app it states No Booking # found. Has anyone else had this problem with the new Sun Princess bookings? The booking does show up when I sign into my Princess account so I know the booking number is correct. Any information is appreciated before I try calling Princess.

I have this exact same problem.  I have a confirmed reservation showing on the website, but I cannot get the journey to show up on the medallion app.  States booking number not found.  However, I have a later Sun Princess booking that does show up on the app.  Help

11 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

I have this exact same problem.  I have a confirmed reservation showing on the website, but I cannot get the journey to show up on the medallion app.  States booking number not found.  However, I have a later Sun Princess booking that does show up on the app.  Help

I called my CVP and she was able to fix the problem.She said something was wrong with the email address.Contact your travel agent or Princess there is probably a very minor error somewhere.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, CruisinCouple2010 said:

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in October of 2024. Every time I try to add this booking to the app it states No Booking # found. Has anyone else had this problem with the new Sun Princess bookings? The booking does show up when I sign into my Princess account so I know the booking number is correct. Any information is appreciated before I try calling Princess.

We are doing a back-to-back on the Sun Princess in September and only the second leg shows up in the app.  I know from experience that trying to add the booking within the app is still problematic, so as long as I can see it in my online account, I know that there's no point stressing about it.  Just by way of curiosity, did you try using the Web Version of the app?  That does allow me to access the booking that way.  HTH!

image.thumb.png.9f59a066e1474b91d23603200cddbaa7.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hagainps said:

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

Hagainps -  YOU RULE!! 

Just followed those steps and the app is now functional! I was hunting around in settings for Accessibility as well. Never occurred to me to think of General Management -> Reset.

Seems they've messed up the permissions the app grabs on install. I'll pass this to my Twitter/X chat, maybe they will pass it to agents as a short term remedy, until they fix the app properly!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kamelia said:

We are doing a back-to-back on the Sun Princess in September and only the second leg shows up in the app.  I know from experience that trying to add the booking within the app is still problematic, so as long as I can see it in my online account, I know that there's no point stressing about it.  Just by way of curiosity, did you try using the Web Version of the app?  That does allow me to access the booking that way.  HTH!

image.thumb.png.9f59a066e1474b91d23603200cddbaa7.png

No I also don’t stress about it. There are still many problems with the app. I just called my CVP and it was corrected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, birdiebill said:

3 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

I called my CVP and she was able to fix the problem. She said something was wrong with the email address. Contact your travel agent or Princess there is probably a very minor error somewhere.

True.  Many of these issues are rooted in data corruption.  And why should that be you might ask.  Sometimes could be the TA entering information wrong.  Other times seems to be data transfer from POLAR to the App database.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, donswife said:

Have you gotten resolution yet? 

Well we got what we needed at least - even though the app and website didn’t work the way they say they do - the medallions arrived and the QR boarding passes showed up on the apps finally. Relieved that we should be able to board 😊. Thanks for checking 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plato123 said:

The app was not working properly on my newer Lenovo android 12 tablet and seemed to want to "speak" the screen information, and it would not allow scrolling.  I uninstalled it and now I cannot even log in.  However the app is fine with an older Samsung tablet as well as a new Samsung tablet and phone as well.

Explains why I'm not having any issues!  My phone is old!!

• Like 2

My problem was corrected today.  My booking missing from the app was the first booking of the back to back on the Sun Princess.  I tried to get it fixed through online chat, but after communicating back and forth on the issue, I lost my chat connection with the agent.  About a half hour later I checked the app again and discovered that the missing booking was now on the app, combined with the booking for the second leg of my back to back. The back to back is now listed on the app as a single booking, but with the booking number of the second leg.  On Princess web site, they are still listed as two separate bookings with the original booking numbers.  Don’t know if agent fixed it after losing connection or if data system auto combined the two. 

10 hours ago, hagainps said:

Steps

Close Medallion App

Go to:

Settings,

General Management,

Enter Password,

Click Reset button.

You're a genuis! I'm on Caribbean Princess now and was pulling my hair out and that dang voice was on my last nerve! I stumbled across this forum and your solution works!! Thank you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, birdiebill said:

My problem was corrected today.  My booking missing from the app was the first booking of the back to back on the Sun Princess.  I tried to get it fixed through online chat, but after communicating back and forth on the issue, I lost my chat connection with the agent.  About a half hour later I checked the app again and discovered that the missing booking was now on the app, combined with the booking for the second leg of my back to back. The back to back is now listed on the app as a single booking, but with the booking number of the second leg.  On Princess web site, they are still listed as two separate bookings with the original booking numbers.  Don’t know if agent fixed it after losing connection or if data system auto combined the two. 

B2B's are combined in the App.  It won't cause you to lose anything as a result.  I have seen it display the last booking confirmation code rather than the first one.  It doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

It's now Monday and the only response I've had in Saturdays long X thread with Princess is as follows:

"Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your comments with our Guest Services team, who will contact you shortly. We appreciate your patience."

This was after I gave them Hagainps's Samsung workaround for those stuck in screen reader mode.

Guess I have a phone call coming! Sorry it's not more positive news for those of you still stuck with a broken app!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

Where do I find the version number for the app I am currently using??  (iPhone6 and DW's Samsung Galaxy S23)

Go in to Settings> Apps> select the Princess app and it should have the version there with other details. That's where it is on my Samsung devices so try your Samsung first perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, nzOdy said:

... Guess I have a phone call coming! Sorry it's not more positive news for those of you still stuck with a broken app!

I just got said call from Corporate Guest Relations, basically wanting to thank me for all my input,  noting it had been passed to the team and greatly helped them understand where to look for the issue.

It was partly to make me feel listened to and let me know the team are working on it. He didn't rule out a hotfix coming before our cruise on the 21st.

@hagainps should feel proud that the Samsung workaround you passed on is now on board ships with the Medallion teams.

One thing this whole experience has taught me. If you do call in or have some form of chat exchange about app problems, be as specific as possible about what exactly is happening, down to the smallest of details,  rather than a frustrated "I can't do X, and Y is broken."

If you can provide great detail, they do apparently listen. Also if you feel the first agent you speak to is just reading a customer service script (they most likely are), don't be afraid to ask for the Supervisor. That's who I ended up passing all the screen reader details to this time around.

So here's hoping they get a quick fix out for all the non-Samsung users!

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4