Seriously - Time for Carnival to get into the Great Lakes market

KmomChicago

Hear me out, fellow passengers.  Post-pandemic, there just has GOT to be a seasonal market for Great Lakes cruises.  I know there are already several high end outfits doing this on rather smallish cute little mini cruise ships. This is not what I am talking about at all. 

I'm talking about a new, purpose-built, biggest that can get through the locks and canals, Carnival-branded, family oriented, amenity laden, modern vessel with a US and Canada itinerary. It seems with the endless and growing hassles of air travel, and the concerns coming out of our little minor recent public health issue, something out of, say, Cleveland or Toledo, would be able to attract enough passengers to fill up a warm-weather schedule.  

Seriously! I know talks come up on this topic from time to time but let's assume a hotshot designer could get enough passengers and stuff on a big, but small enough, ship to appeal to megaship aficionados to do closed loops of 3, 4, 5, 7, or 11 nights, for example from the American Midwest. What other barriers exist and how do we all convince John Heald's bosses to overcome them and  move forward?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think Viking and American Cruises do this already.  ChiTown, Detroit and the Mistake on the Lake, formerly known as Cleveland aren't my ideals of cruising towns.

I understand not everyone sees the charms of the rust belt, but I live right by one of those and we always enjoy ourselves in the city, and I've visited the other two quite happily. Just a few possible summer shore excursions in or near these 3 cities or other lake stops:

Major League baseball games and other sporting events

Museums - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Christmas Story House, Pro Football Hall of Fame, Motown Museum, The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village, The Art Institute and Museum of Science and Industry (many others in Chicago as well as the other cities, and various villages)

Amusement Parks - Cedar Point and Six Flags Great America
Foodie and Drinkie Tours

Architectural walking and boat tours

City and State parks and botanical gardens

We really aren't even considering other cities like Milwaukee, Green Bay and Toledo

Not to mention other Great Lakes places like Mackinac Island, Sleeping Bear and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshores, various lighthouses, Door County, if we could make it through the Soo Locks you can cry like I did at the Shipwreck Museum, and now we have Isle Royale and Duluth, etc. etc. 

There are many more well known and hidden gem type places along the lakes. I will happily accept the job of shore excursion coordinator, thank you very much.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Hear me out, fellow passengers.  Post-pandemic, there just has GOT to be a seasonal market for Great Lakes cruises.  I know there are already several high end outfits doing this on rather smallish cute little mini cruise ships. This is not what I am talking about at all. 

I'm talking about a new, purpose-built, biggest that can get through the locks and canals, Carnival-branded, family oriented, amenity laden, modern vessel with a US and Canada itinerary. It seems with the endless and growing hassles of air travel, and the concerns coming out of our little minor recent public health issue, something out of, say, Cleveland or Toledo, would be able to attract enough passengers to fill up a warm-weather schedule.  

Seriously! I know talks come up on this topic from time to time but let's assume a hotshot designer could get enough passengers and stuff on a big, but small enough, ship to appeal to megaship aficionados to do closed loops of 3, 4, 5, 7, or 11 nights, for example from the American Midwest. What other barriers exist and how do we all convince John Heald's bosses to overcome them and  move forward?

I would think it would be cost prohibitive to build a ship for this purpose that will only be used part of the year but personally I would rather cruise to islands than to US cities that I could visit on my own.

• Like 4

Since I live in Cleveland, I am totally game!! I think if Carnival could pull it off that would be awesome! There are a lot of good things, places to see and plenty to do in those cities that were mentioned. 

Edited by MzOhioLady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I would think it would be cost prohibitive to build a ship for this purpose that will only be used part of the year but personally I would rather cruise to islands than to US cities that I could visit on my own.

Thinking the ship could be moved to another location in the off season as with Alaska cruises.

1 minute ago, MzOhioLady said:

Since I live in Cleveland, I am totally game!! I think if Carnival could pull it off that would be awesome! There are a lot of good things in those cities that were mentioned. 

Agreed, I think Cleveland is the ultimate example of the average American city and I love it. Also we can drive there in about 6 hours which is actually reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Thinking the ship could be moved to another location in the off season as with Alaska cruises.

That is a possibility but I think there are way too many "maybes", "mights" and "possiblies" for any major line to seriously consider. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

That is a possibility but I think there are way too many "maybes", "mights" and "possiblies" for any major line to seriously consider. 

Has to be else they would have done it before now. I realize that. Still. . . Kmom here is nothing if not a problem solver.  Just think of all the internationals who might also want to experience something authentic. Not just, you know, Disney World, NYC and LA. The places where the actual people live the American Dream.

Marketing. It's all in the marketing. Well, that and the logistics. And the money. You get the idea.

• Like 2

Kmom - I was thinking that as well regarding travelers who don't live in the US but want to see and experience something different. And yes, it's all about how the itinerary would be marketed to attract those who want to explore cities in the US.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Ever see the Viking river cruise ships?  Ever see the American Cruise ships?  These are really ocean going or types you'd want to be on when Superior does her storm thing.  Or in transit from the St Lawrence to a West Coast USA port.  And off season for GL would also be off season for Alaska.  

Look I 'like the upper mid-West.  The Great Lakes area is fantastic to see,  just not why we cruise.  Look into the cruise lines already doing this. 

• Like 2

The Great Lakes cargo ships would be the most comparable to ocean cruise ships and they can only dock at a few places.  Beside the State of Michigan is currently highly unfavorable to businesses, most small Michigan cities can't afford the infrastructure.  The popular Michigan cities for boaters don't want a cruise ship anywhere near their $$$$ yachts.  

• Like 1

Just now, crewsweeper said:

Ever see the Viking river cruise ships?  Ever see the American Cruise ships?  These are really ocean going or types you'd want to be on when Superior does her storm thing.  Or in transit from the St Lawrence to a West Coast USA port.  And off season for GL would also be off season for Alaska.  

Look I 'like the upper mid-West.  The Great Lakes area is fantastic to see,  just not why we cruise.  Look into the cruise lines already doing this. 

I have looked at those lines. Way too expensive and the ships are really tiny. In addition those are designed and marketed towards well heeled retirees, not the typical Carnival customer. I’m specifically trying to get the “Nassau out of Canaveral” audience who want the big floating resort, and a ship designed to meet that market as much as possible given logistical limits.

I can put together great excursions. 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I would love something like this and have been looking at other lines that do these Great Lakes cruises. EXTREMELY expensive. I think it's because they'll have US workers making US wages, possibly union, pulling into US ports with US port fees and US taxes on all purchases anywhere on the ship. If you've ever been on a California Coastal, you'll see those prices are higher, too. And they have foreign nationals for employees who get lower wages. 

That's why I don't think it's viable for the usual Carnival cruiser.

I do generally get that sense as well. The existence of such cruises, however, at those prices, simply proves the demand is there. I realize it might be impossible to get the journey close to Bargain bottom prices we all know can be found in the Bahamas/Caribbean region. Already Alaska cruises have, for example, much higher taxes and port charges than I’m used to. 

Still I feel there’s room for something holding maybe 1000 passengers, offering views of the natural beauty of the lakes, and the culture we have here-just because we’re all used to our own stuff doesn’t mean it isn’t special. It actually is special. Our Great Lakes are stunning and truly gifts and like nothing else in the world. Our cities are the products of rich histories, some proud and some unfortunate. 

There are as noted, many small ship lines doing this, having no trouble attracting passengers at luxury-level pricing. 

A niche is being missed here.

19 minutes ago, MzOhioLady said:

Okay, Let's! We can name it: Carnival's Midwestern Itinerary. Sailing from May to September. 

Experience the charm of the American Midwest and the beauty of the world’s largest freshwater lake system with all the fun you’ve come to expect from the most popular cruise line. A vacation like no other on a one of a kind new vessel. Come aboard the Carnival . . . Err. . . What do we call it? What gets across the right  spirit? The Carnival Pioneer? The Carnival Heritage? The Carnival Yankee Express?

• Like 1

LOL, I have no interest in cruising the great lakes and I have to think that most cruisers are looking for the term tropical when they cruise. Alaska is different because of the wildlife and mountains. I just do not see the money in cruising the lakes when you could put another ship on the Caribbean route for the same money. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, asalligo said:

LOL, I have no interest in cruising the great lakes and I have to think that most cruisers are looking for the term tropical when they cruise. Alaska is different because of the wildlife and mountains. I just do not see the money in cruising the lakes when you could put another ship on the Caribbean route for the same money. 

I understand this view - however I truly think the success of the small lines shows there is an interest in our Great Lakes. National Geographic did a great article on them this past year. I think they have been an overlooked treasure for a long time. Someone will eventually take advantage of this.

I think an interest is also apparent in ships like the SS Badger https://www.ssbadger.com/ which runs between Wisconsin and Michigan already. It's a little short thing but it's awfully cute and a return to an earlier time in some ways.

Edited by KmomChicago

I live close to Travers City, MI which is a tourist town, we do get some cruise ships that stop here.  I checked into one but for the price I could do a 7 day Carnival cruise with cheers and airfare included. I would do a great lakes cruise if it was more affordable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1