Is Carnival allowing unvax passengers July 31?

aquasea

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Each state has a database and so does the CDC.  I am sure they don't check everybody's vaccine record but they probably do randomly.  

i know many states have very incomplete records and most states would not allow the cruise lines to have access to the information they do have. doubt the CDC records are much better. i have a family member works in the field with the CDC and she says no way could they verify easily if you had the vaccination. it should have been done much better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

There has been a lot of hysteria about a database, but it actually would be helpful for international travel in the same way a passport is used to prove identity and citizenship.

I think vaccines can be traced to a certain extent by dates and lot numbers. It is a lot more trouble and less precise, but it might be possible since states maintain databases. I have seen language, maybe not at Carnival, that the cruise line may examine the documents for authenticity should the need arise. So, yes, some may slip through, but if there is a problem it could result in closer scrutiny.

yes, it is a mess and not much chance the cruise line cold ever make certain who was vaccinated. state records which are not very complete would not allow the access.

17 minutes ago, volfan22701 said:

in a discussion at my house last night the question came up, how many on the ship claiming to be vaccinated really are not? it is easy to go on line and fine a printable vaccine card and fill it out. there is nowhere the cruise line can check a database for vaccinations. the whole thing was not thought out in the beginning when all vaccinations should have been recorded into a national database just for reasons like this. there is nothing to say there are not hundreds on the ships unvaccinated if all you have to do is show a card you can make at home. the whole thing does not make me feel good about what may be going on.

Possible but probably not smart. I'm sure the authorities and CDC will still be interested in cases, for the foreseeable future, to keep track of spread. With this newest Lambda variant now emerging, and probably many more after it until enough of the planet is vaccinated to stop mutations, and hopefully before one outsmarts the vaccine and we have to start all over again, cases will be tracked and intel gathered. The lines are taking photos of the vaccine cards and tagging them to passengers. I suppose a few will try and succeed but I doubt it's a big problem. Most people wouldn't want to invite that kind of scrutiny or take a risk like that.      

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Possible but probably not smart. I'm sure the authorities and CDC will still be interested in cases, for the foreseeable future, to keep track of spread. With this newest Lamda variant now emerging, and probably many more after it until enough of the planet is vaccinated to stop mutations, and hopefully before ones outsmarts the vaccine and we have to start all over again, cases will be tracked and intel gathered. The lines are taking photos of the vaccine cards and tagging them to passengers. I suppose a few will try and succeed but I doubt it's a big problem. Most people wouldn't want to invite that kind of scrutiny or take a risk like that.      

very small chance anyone would get caught doing it since records are not good and the cruise lines would not be given access by the states on what records they do have.

• Like 1

Just now, volfan22701 said:

very small chance anyone would get caught doing it since records are not good and the cruise lines would not be given access by the states on what records they do have.

It's only a small chance if everything goes right. The downsides don't mitigate the reward. It would be a small number of reckless people who have nothing to lose or simply don't care about anything. I doubt many fall into this category of risk taking.    

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Only if they have been approved as an exception.

Wow that’s interesting. I just got a letter from carnival that Sid they were not giving exemptions to anyone who was not vaccinated and over 12. I’m sailing out of Texas though so that might be different for Florida cruises.

35 minutes ago, volfan22701 said:

in a discussion at my house last night the question came up, how many on the ship claiming to be vaccinated really are not? it is easy to go on line and fine a printable vaccine card and fill it out. there is nowhere the cruise line can check a database for vaccinations. the whole thing was not thought out in the beginning when all vaccinations should have been recorded into a national database just for reasons like this. there is nothing to say there are not hundreds on the ships unvaccinated if all you have to do is show a card you can make at home. the whole thing does not make me feel good about what may be going on.

So the most honest passengers on the July/August cruises will be the unvaccinated. Those can be relied upon to give their true vaccination status. The rest you will never know about. Hopefully.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sailingships said:

So the most honest passengers on the July/August cruises will be the unvaccinated. Those can be relied upon to give their true vaccination status. The rest you will never know about. Hopefully.

except for the unvaccinated ones that say they are. and show their card. there are a lot of ones out there that would do that.

1 hour ago, sailingships said:

Or, "the most honest" would be those who have valid vaccination cards and provide it upon request.

Either way you cut it - there will ALWAYS be dishonest people, trying to skirt the system.

If someone tests positive on a cruise, you can bet they will either need to have an exemption letter or their vaccination information will be verified.  It seems like cruising has gone along just fine this week.  I think worrying about people falsifying vaccination cards is worry for nothing.  When my husband and I completed our vaccination questionnaire, we attested to the information and agreed to the penalties.  I ordered some passport holders that can also hold our vaccination cards.

The odds of someone falsifying information, testing negative before boarding, and becoming a super spreader are slim to none.  I am just going to enjoy my cruise and trust that Carnival has it covered.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, stellarose said:

as I stated before carnival is not going to risk opening up the ship to a free for all. I think they know vaccines work and will keep asking for it. there are many who are vaccinated who are ready to sail .

Even if they loosen the percentage of unvaccinated, I think they will still have more restrictions, fees, and requirements for the unvaccinated at least until the delta  variant is no longer a huge threat.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, volfan22701 said:

An example of how hard it would be for them to check---DW is a teacher and she was exposed at school. She received a call from NY State contact tracing. She read off all the information on her card. Her vaccinations were at our county's health clinic which is part of the state system. She read off the information to them, and was told that they would confirm it and call her back the next day (Sunday). They did not. She finally received an e-mail releasing her from quarantine on Monday. And that was only after we contacted our representative in the state legislature to intervene with them.

So how is the cruise line going to do this in any timely manner?

On 7/9/2021 at 2:05 PM, CJHAN said:

Wow that’s interesting. I just got a letter from carnival that Sid they were not giving exemptions to anyone who was not vaccinated and over 12. I’m sailing out of Texas though so that might be different for Florida cruises.

re-read it a few times and got what your saying i think.

Edited by kdr69
read it wrong

On 7/9/2021 at 2:47 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Possible but probably not smart. I'm sure the authorities and CDC will still be interested in cases, for the foreseeable future, to keep track of spread. With this newest Lambda variant now emerging, and probably many more after it until enough of the planet is vaccinated to stop mutations, and hopefully before one outsmarts the vaccine and we have to start all over again, cases will be tracked and intel gathered. The lines are taking photos of the vaccine cards and tagging them to passengers. I suppose a few will try and succeed but I doubt it's a big problem. Most people wouldn't want to invite that kind of scrutiny or take a risk like that.      

I agree!  If someone contracts, testing & contact tracing will reveal if someone lied.  That person would be held liable for damages, sickness, death...criminal & civil issues.  You've have to be a complete moron to risk it.

31 minutes ago, dandeck said:

If someone contracts, testing & contact tracing will reveal if someone lied.  That person would be held liable for damages, sickness, death...criminal & civil issues.  You've have to be a complete moron to risk it.

There's not enough "take a number" devices in this country for all the people that would qualify for such status! 

I think we need to modify the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute"...

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

There's not enough "take a number" devices in this country for all the people that would qualify for such status! 

I think we need to modify the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute"...

Tom

Contact tracing is actually very simple.  Especially when the proof of vaccine is so easily traced.  Put an industry at risk and the noose will tighten quickly.  Then it will be "an idiot born every minute!" LOL