Best way to contact customer services?

HikingPete

I noticed earlier today that the price for my upcoming cruise is now much lower on the P&O website than I am paying (about a third less) - I tried to call P&O to discuss, and see if there are any differences I've missed, or if there isn't and its the same offer whether they would match the now-advertised price.

After waiting on the phone for a bit, and jumping through the "press 1 for" hoops I got a message telling me that they don't want to keep me waiting longer than I need to, so they won't take my call, please try calling later.

Great.

Yeah yeah yeah, covid, covid, covid... but a message that basically says "we're too busy, go away" isn't exactly helpful.

What have people found the best way to get in touch with a real person at the moment and discuss a query.

• Like 1

As per the other thread,  in future use a TA, don't book direct.

In your current case, I doubt that P&O will re-fare you. I assume you can just cancel, and then re-book at the new price.

Good luck getting through.  

When calling I always choose the option to 'book a new cruise' and funnily enough they let you keep holding for that option. 

But yeah, P&O don't let you change your fare. Everything is fixed at the time you booked, even upgrades.

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In your current case, I doubt that P&O will re-fare you. I assume you can just cancel, and then re-book at the new price.

45 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

But yeah, P&O don't let you change your fare. Everything is fixed at the time you booked, even upgrades.

In the end I did what TheGinBoy said, and went through as if I was booking a new cruise. The rep that took the call didn't seem fussed that it wasn't a new booking and was happy to change the booking. She cancelled my existing cruise and rebooked me on the substantially cheaper one. I did lose my deposit, but I still ended up about £300 better off, so it was well worth it. I do have to rebook any extras, which is a pain, but hey ho. Again, £300 is £300.

I will keep an eye on the old bank account just in case anything gets doubled up by mistake, but the rep seemed very helpful and she seemed to know her stuff, so I'd be surprised if there were any issues.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HikingPete said:

In the end I did what TheGinBoy said, and went through as if I was booking a new cruise. The rep that took the call didn't seem fussed that it wasn't a new booking and was happy to change the booking. She cancelled my existing cruise and rebooked me on the substantially cheaper one. I did lose my deposit, but I still ended up about £300 better off, so it was well worth it. I do have to rebook any extras, which is a pain, but hey ho. Again, £300 is £300.

I will keep an eye on the old bank account just in case anything gets doubled up by mistake, but the rep seemed very helpful and she seemed to know her stuff, so I'd be surprised if there were any issues.

Glad you got everything sorted. £300 is a considerable saving on a short cruise.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Glad you got everything sorted. £300 is a considerable saving on a short cruise.

Yeah, I'm happy with that. It'll pay for some wine at least. I just need to make sure I definitely get the extras that I booked refunded... 😟

2 hours ago, HikingPete said:

I thought that currently, you can transfer a booking at no cost.  I appreciate that that can we withdrawn at any time.  Has that time now arrived?

2 hours ago, HikingPete said:

Yeah, I'm happy with that. It'll pay for some wine at least. I just need to make sure I definitely get the extras that I booked refunded... 😟

Yeah yeah yeah, covid, covid, covid... but a message that basically says "we're too busy, go away" isn't exactly helpful.

This nonsense has become very tiresome. If they are too busy, it's because they haven't got enough people answering the phone. If they can't be bothered to answer your call, say so at the begining not after pressing 2,2,5,5&7 and listening to them telling you how important your call is. Yeah, right, we believe that don't we ?🤔

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

This nonsense has become very tiresome. If they are too busy, it's because they haven't got enough people answering the phone. If they can't be bothered to answer your call, say so at the begining not after pressing 2,2,5,5&7 and listening to them telling you how important your call is. Yeah, right, we believe that don't we ?🤔

At my place most of the IT service desk, 2nd level and 3rd level are working from home. We've made cuts, where we can, but no redundancies.

I have a niggling feeling with P&O they've reduced the numbers taking calls as a chance to cut costs when they weren't getting as much money in during the pandemic. Once passengers start to rise again, I suspect the numbers on the service desk won't increase.

• Like 1

I spent hours the other week trying to get through to customer services to transfer a booking. In the end I called after 5pm  pressing 1 for new booking and got straight through. 

Follow up from my last post: Please don't think I'm blaming the call handlers. Once I've got through to someone they've always been excellent. It's just that whoever has set the priorities for the phone system is happy to reject/cancel calls from existing customers and instead prioritise new money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

Follow up from my last post: Please don't think I'm blaming the call handlers. Once I've got through to someone they've always been excellent. It's just that whoever has set the priorities for the phone system is happy to reject/cancel calls from existing customers and instead prioritise new money.

I needed to speak to the call centre a couple of weeks ago. After waiting for about an hour I got through to a young lady working out of the office at Southampton. Very pleasant, very helpful and sorted the issues out. Not their fault at all. Some smug manager counting the beans thinking he has done a wonderful job. We got back from a Britannia staycation cruise on Sunday. Folk on the ship were doing a fine job. It's the structure that needs sorting out with a focus on customers.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3

Before I retired I used to install this “Call centre management” and there was a saying in the telecoms industry known as”B.O.S. Syndrome” which P&O definitely have. This translates to (bums on seats) meaning there is no problem with the equipment but the company does not employ enough “Agents” to login and take calls, which ends up with Hugh call waiting queues. It does not matter whether they are working from home or in office , the calls are prioritised with the highest priority making money and the lowest priority just general questions, so previous statements have figured it out, “ Always choose the money making option”.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I want to find out if they have changed the “7 day between cruises” rule but can’t get through on the phone. Anyone know?

If this helps the  P&O website has it in big bold letters ...

*Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.        https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

Thanks. That’s that then. 

A quick update  ..If you are wanting to go after the 25th September ..You can :classic_smile:

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/our-assurance-to-you  

• For all holidays sailing up to and including 24 September, guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back-to-back bookings will not be available. This seven day gap also applies to cruises booked with other cruise lines including our sister brands Cunard and Princess Cruises. From 25 September onwards, back-to-back bookings are allowed