Best ways to get from Fort Lauderdale (Everglade) cruise port to Port Canaveral

I'm not sure if there is another place to look for an answer to this question, sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong area.  We (couple) are going on a cruise out of Port Everglades, but would like to go on a second cruise out of Port Canaveral on the same day the first cruise ends. Has anyone done this that can recommend a good way to do this.  Is it even feasible? Car rental? Shuttle? If so, idea suggestions or other research suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Personally I wouldnt even consider it until I was sure the cdc and cso were gone from cruising.

Do remember any b2b right now you have to get a covid test and I hear thats taking about 3 hours for test results before you can board the 2nd leg. 

I'm a worrier so wouldnt do it on the same day until things get better. 

Idk about rcl, just been following carnival since I booked a b2b in oct. There is also a health questionnaire to fill out 3 days before boarding. It asks if you have been out of the country in the past 14 days, hence the needed covid test, even on a s2s. 

Edited by firefly333

Uber will cost you $230+.

You can find airfares to MCO for around $140 or less.  Plus taxi/shuttle to Port Canaveral., or about the same as Uber without the waiting.

Assuming you can book a rental, even a full size SUV would only run around $50-60.

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Uber will cost you $230+.

You can find airfares to MCO for around $140 or less.  Plus taxi/shuttle to Port Canaveral., or about the same as Uber without the waiting.

Assuming you can book a rental, even a full size SUV would only run around $50-60.

When is the last time you rented a car. I tried this feb and the price was higher and I was doing drop off at the same place.

Add in one way fees, they tacked on fees to every rental that was lower priced. Plus tax. Even the  cheapest car costs more than that. Maybe rates have gone down since feb? I was even flying into orlando instead of cape Canaveral and searching out coupons like mousesavers. 

I doubt you can find a SUV that cheap. Maybe prices came down idk. And dropped one way drop off and other fees they are tacking on. 

... though as above I'm more worried about the op getting in covid testing in time to board 2nd leg.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

When is the last time you rented a car. I tried this feb and the price was higher and I was doing drop off at the same place.

Add in one way fees, they tacked on fees to every rental that was lower priced. Plus tax. Even the  cheapest car costs more than that. Maybe rates have gone down since feb? I was even flying into orlando instead of cape Canaveral and searching out coupons like mousesavers. 

I doubt you can find a SUV that cheap. Maybe prices came down idk. And dropped one way drop off and other fees they are tacking on. 

... though as above I'm more worried about the op getting in covid testing in time to board 2nd leg.

No one way charges in Florida.

Also prices were pulled from latest web sites. Whether vehicles are available or would be available, I have zero clue.

Agree that the COVID testing could be an inhibitor, especially after yesterday's latest flip flop by the CDC. As a known Brit Communist on the UK SAGE Committee is reported to have said, "Social distancing and face masks should stay FOREVER."😵

We did this in 2015.  We were on a 7 day Indy which I think was out of Port Everglades and then a 8 day Freedom out of Port Canaveral.  We rented a car in Fort Lauderdale - I believe it was with Alamo. I think this was still when they did the car rental shuttles to the airport - we definitely did not pay for transportation to the rental agency.

We did a pit stop at a laundromat near Port Canaveral on the way and did a couple loads of laundry. Alamo dropped us off at Port Canaveral after we dropped off the car. 

i am not sure of the current shuttle situation with the agencies near the ports now.  We have a rental next month on 8/21-8/22 picking up at FLL and dropping off at Enterprise just outside the gates of Port Everglades  and I know I am having a hard time getting a straight answer whether or not they will shuttle us to the port from their location.  For now we are just assuming we will need to Uber or cab there.  If they do shuttle us it will be a pleasant surprise.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

No one way charges in Florida.

not true in every rental agency's case:

Untitled1.thumb.png.42824c195638a5249e38e4444cb928da.png

And it's still cheaper than the other agencies' rentals for the same day which start at $139 without one way drop off fees.

several years ago we did a one way rental from FLL to MCO and it was a mere $16 total with all the taxes and fees. But that was several years ago, and not during the pandemic when most rental companies sold the majority of their vehicle inventory.

For what it's worth: I just booked a minivan MCO to ATL, one way, for November, 1 day rental, and it's $200 without one way rental drop off fees.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not true in every rental agency's case:

Untitled1.thumb.png.42824c195638a5249e38e4444cb928da.png

And it's still cheaper than the other agencies' rentals for the same day which start at $139 without one way drop off fees.

Can't tell from the tiny print and grayed background, but is that from a FLL agency?

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Can't tell from the tiny print and grayed background, but is that from a FLL agency?

The agency is called Fox, and I priced the rentals on Expedia. If you are on a computer, you can click on the image to expand it.

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Every place I checked under $50 a day had mysterious fees added into total and some cheaper rates were more than the expensive rate. I couldnt find what the fees were for. Prices dont look bad until you click for totals to rent a car. Those days of $25 a day are gone right now. 

Port Everglades to Port Canaveral on Interstate 95 is an approximately three hour drive under normal travel conditions. As others have advised you a rental car is the way to go. A minimum twenty four hour rental will meet your needs. If you decide on this option try to get off the ship in Port Everglades as soon as possible to give you some extra time getting to Port Canaveral. The trip is approximately one hundred eighty miles on Interstate 95.

• Thanks 1