covid test for flight home (Canada)

grimpil

Does carnival offer a covid test (PCR) for people flying home . Just wondering what the turn around time would be. Just trying to figure out if I need to book a hotel for post cruise or would I receive my results on debarkation day. Cruising on panorama in November and working on flights. Also saw on a cruise vlog comment that any CVS or Walgreens offer a covid test, anyone know if this is a PCR test and what there turn around time is, would i have to make an appt or just walkin? Thanks

38 minutes ago, grimpil said:

Does carnival offer a covid test (PCR) for people flying home . Just wondering what the turn around time would be. Just trying to figure out if I need to book a hotel for post cruise or would I receive my results on debarkation day. Cruising on panorama in November and working on flights. Also saw on a cruise vlog comment that any CVS or Walgreens offer a covid test, anyone know if this is a PCR test and what there turn around time is, would i have to make an appt or just walkin? Thanks

I was told no the cruise ship wouldnt offer it so I booked a hotel and made my return flight for 3 days after the cruise to give me time to get a test and results.  Apparently im being told by folks on here that the rules state that everyone must be tested before they get of the ship so if that happens i guess i will just have 3 days to kill till my flight.  Good thing theres Disney or Universal. 

• Like 2

good plan just to be safe, I'll ask my pvp as she may have an answer. Thanks for your quick response

41 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I was told no the cruise ship wouldnt offer it so I booked a hotel and made my return flight for 3 days after the cruise to give me time to get a test and results.  Apparently im being told by folks on here that the rules state that everyone must be tested before they get of the ship so if that happens i guess i will just have 3 days to kill till my flight.  Good thing theres Disney or Universal. 

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Not everyone gets tested before debarking - only the unvaxxed.

Since you are vaxxed, you will not get tested.  And if you were to get tested, it would have been an antigen test, which is invalid for your PCR test requirement anyway.  (If you pop positive on the antigen test, then they give you a PCR test to confirm.)

Carnival and John Heald have made it clear they are not offering "optional" tests to anyone - if you want one, you have to schedule it yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

No again only unvaccinated are being tested. Dewey got tested because of her unvaccinated children. 

The turn around at CVS can be less than a hour, but if you are going out of florida make a appointment to be tested at least a few days ahead of time as most ports there are few or no vaccines. I think appointments can be made a week or maybe 10 days ahead. Galveston only has one CVS but of course there are other places. Just they seem to be fastest with drive thru tests.

Also to add you should search this forum and the other cruiseline forums.

RCCL and Celebrity are requiring tests pre cruise and so Americans are scrambling to get a test.

There seems to be a lot more information about covid testing on this site now that many more people need a test.

19 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

I have also found these which offer same day PCR

https://centracare.adventhealth.com/urgent-care/covid-19-testing-orlando-international-airport

Same day service at MCO

https://covidtestingllc.com/

Also here for Orlando locations

OP poster is cruising on the Panorama that cruises out of Long Beach, California. (they just failed to mention that detail.)

7 hours ago, grimpil said:

Check on line for the airport that you are flying out of, some offer the rapid PCR test.

• Like 1

I am starting to refer to this as our November covid testing cruise.  With coming from Canada for a Panorama cruise out of Long Beach with a four day land trip prior we would have to do a test before entering the U.S., then do another one within three days of the cruise and another one at the L.A. Airport on the day back from cruise.  Two at $125 U.S and one at $75 CDN.  With exchange about $750 for the two of us.  A poster on the thread said he was going to tack on days after the cruise, we may end up doing the same as it’s risky depending on getting it done the day of arriving back from the cruise.  Also would save on one covid test.   So will have to look at changing flights and Hotels.   It gets complicated.

I know it’s off topic but if there is a mask requirement on the ship for fully vaccinated passengers like us, we will cancel.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, janewe said:

I am starting to refer to this as our November covid testing cruise.  With coming from Canada for a Panorama cruise out of Long Beach with a four day land trip prior we would have to do a test before entering the U.S., then do another one within three days of the cruise and another one at the L.A. Airport on the day back from cruise.  Two at $125 U.S and one at $75 CDN.  With exchange about $750 for the two of us.  A poster on the thread said he was going to tack on days after the cruise, we may end up doing the same as it’s risky depending on getting it done the day of arriving back from the cruise.  Also would save on one covid test.   So will have to look at changing flights and Hotels.   It gets complicated.

I know it’s off topic but if there is a mask requirement on the ship for fully vaccinated passengers like us, we will cancel.

Dont think you need a test before the cruise if you are vaccinated only Royal is requiring that of all passengers to my knowledge.

20 minutes ago, janewe said:

We are also from Canada (there a Canadian board on here that I recently found myself, very helpful:)  We are hoping to cruise this month from FL port, we will need to test before going into US and before returning back to Canada, but not before the cruise, as fully vaxxed (5 of us, so will cost a pretty penny).  What I do wish was that Carnival would offer the service for a fee, I dont mind paying for the test, its more so the worry/drama about getting it before we fly home.  However you arent going for a while, so much can change before November, so who knows..fingers crossed the return test will not be a thing by then!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

We are also from Canada (there a Canadian board on here that I recently found myself, very helpful:)  We are hoping to cruise this month from FL port, we will need to test before going into US and before returning back to Canada, but not before the cruise, as fully vaxxed (5 of us, so will cost a pretty penny).  What I do wish was that Carnival would offer the service for a fee, I dont mind paying for the test, its more so the worry/drama about getting it before we fly home.  However you arent going for a while, so much can change before November, so who knows..fingers crossed the return test will not be a thing by then!

I am with you on that, have no problem paying a reasonable fee on board for the pcr test that Canada requires.  It would save a lot of anxiety for passengers, most of whom usually fly home immediately after disembarking.

• Like 1

We have to provide a negative Antigen test to enter the US  from Canada 

or Mexico .

Is the cruise industry exempt  from that requirement ?

This testing for the fully  vaccinated will entail changing flights

and extra hotel stays quite apart from the cost of the tests themselves.

hope this changes prior to our Panorama cruise in November.
On our flight home from John Wayne the airport testing clinic is only open 

8am to 5 pm weekdays. What good is that ?

With the prices they charge for such tests it would be an excellent opportunity for Carnival to add to their revenue stream by providing this service . 

Lots of time on the last sea day.

just a thought.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

LAX does covid testing

https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely#CovidTest

That website says you can get a PCR test in 3-5 hours so you wouldn't need to stay overnight.

You'd just need to make sure you have enough time to get off the ship to the airport and then make sure your flight is more then 5 hours after you get your test.

After seeing what happened to Don from Dons family vacations i dont think i would chance that.  He was stuck for three extra days and had to reschedule his flights 3 time because they first lost his test on the ship then they took two days to get his one back from the airport.  Think i will just go right after i get off ship then relax and enjoy disney for a couple days while i wait for my results before i fly home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

After seeing what happened to Don from Dons family vacations i dont think i would chance that.  He was stuck for three extra days and had to reschedule his flights 3 time because they first lost his test on the ship then they took two days to get his one back from the airport.  Think i will just go right after i get off ship then relax and enjoy disney for a couple days while i wait for my results before i fly home. 

It is expected there would be teething pains at the restart of cruises.  This should not mean that Carnival should not do on board testing going forward.  Not everyone has the resources to combine a cruise with a Disney vacation or extra nights at a hotel.  Most book a hotel the night before a cruise, it becomes onerous for some to also book after.  In addition, many don’t have the vacation days.   It’s time Carnival stepped up to the plate and made an announcement.  If not, they could see many bookings being cancelled. 

46 minutes ago, janewe said:

It is expected there would be teething pains at the restart of cruises.  This should not mean that Carnival should not do on board testing going forward.  Not everyone has the resources to combine a cruise with a Disney vacation or extra nights at a hotel.  Most book a hotel the night before a cruise, it becomes onerous for some to also book after.  In addition, many don’t have the vacation days.   It’s time Carnival stepped up to the plate and made an announcement.  If not, they could see many bookings being cancelled. 

Oh dont get me wrong i agree about onboard testing being offered

• Like 1

16 hours ago, janewe said:

John Heald just updated that beginning August 14th on all Cruises a Negative Covid test will be required prior to boarding taken within 3 days of Embarkation.  Also Masks will be required in all indoor spaces for anyone 2 years and up as of August 7th.  Until further notice.

• Like 1