Cruise booked before marriage

Trying to figure out what I can do... We booked our honeymoon. I am I guess the primary guest...first listed on reservation. It is booked with my previous last name. I would like to change my name legally and get updated passport /DL.  Will they left me change my name on the reservation? My husband is the other in the reservation and his name will not be changing. To add another layer... We are booked under my Crown and anchor number using points from my  cc.. Not sure if that matters... Any insights? 

Congratulations on your wedding, first of all!

I would like to think you could change the name on the reservation with no problem, but I would email RCI just to be sure (I used the contact form on the website (here) and got an answer in a couple days.)

I do know from experience if your name on your passport/ID differs from what is on the reservation, you will need to show proof of how the name changed. For instance, I don't have a passport, and my license and birth certificate are under different last names, so I needed my marriage license to show how I changed my name. If they won't let you change the name on the res that might be the route to pursue, just ask 🙂

2 hours ago, Ohserendipity said:

Trying to figure out what I can do... We booked our honeymoon. I am I guess the primary guest...first listed on reservation. It is booked with my previous last name. I would like to change my name legally and get updated passport /DL.  Will they left me change my name on the reservation? My husband is the other in the reservation and his name will not be changing. To add another layer... We are booked under my Crown and anchor number using points from my  cc.. Not sure if that matters... Any insights? 

Are you already married and taking a delayed honeymoon?  Is there enough time to get a new passport with a name change before the cruise?  30 yrs ago my wife used her maiden name for our honeymoon cruise. We had to wait for the marriage license to process before she could have License, Social Security card  and passport changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohserendipity said:

Call Royal and change your name on your reservation.  No charge to do this and i5 does no5 matter that you are listed as the first guest.

If your passport does not expire until after  your cruise, wait until after your cruise to change it. This way you don’t have to change anything on your reservation. It does nat matter what your legal name is, just that the name on your passport matches the name in the cruise reservation. 

My daughter in law’s passport is still in her maiden name(four years after their marriage), so that is the name on her cruise reservation for next years family cruise.

• Like 1

There is a backlog with passports. I would change my social security info first then update the passport. Make sure to have an orginal copy of the marriage certificate as a bridge document. Make sure you have official copies of documents so you can sail.

21 hours ago, Ohserendipity said:

if I am not mistaken, you can not change your passport unless you have proof like a marriage certificate.  I would not touch your passport or make any name changes so as to not have any issues.

Besides, lots of people get married and keep their own name.  So you keep yours until vacation is over then go about the changes.  

• Like 1

As others have said if you are cruising soon I would just keep everything in your maiden name. The passport backlog is a big issue for a lot of people right now. If you have 9+ months to go then I would go ahead and change.it, knowing that the passport may take a good 6 months right now. 

My sister is in a similar boat, she was married early July and taking her honeymoon this fall. She is waiting to change her name until she gets back since she is unsure if she would have enough time to get her passport back, so everything is just booked in her maiden name. 

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

This sort of problem makes me glad that DH and I both kept the names we were born with.  🙂

My son and daughter in law were married last year. My DIL just got around to change her name and is in the process of changing everything else. My first thought was how does she change her vaccination card. What a pain with everything backed up with covid. Even getting real ID when your driver's license is about to expire is now an ordeal during covid.