Testing on B2B

BS102

On the Summit cruise to Iceland in August 2022, almost everyone is going B2B, Bayonne-Iceland, then Iceland -Boston.  I do not see how we are to comply with Covid testing for the second leg.  We would not have time to take tests and get results.  Even if Celebrity was to allow us to to it in their clinic, I can’t imagine being able to process hundreds..maybe even a thousand... of passengers.

This situation exists with all B2B cruises, but this cruise will be especially problematic due to the large numbers going B2B.

3 hours ago, BS102 said:

On the Summit cruise to Iceland in August 2022, almost everyone is going B2B, Bayonne-Iceland, then Iceland -Boston.  I do not see how we are to comply with Covid testing for the second leg.  We would not have time to take tests and get results.  Even if Celebrity was to allow us to to it in their clinic, I can’t imagine being able to process hundreds..maybe even a thousand... of passengers.

This situation exists with all B2B cruises, but this cruise will be especially problematic due to the large numbers going B2B.

The current requirements for testing prior to cruising is only for cruises between August 6 and September 6, 2021.     They will be doing testing onboard gratis for PAX doing B2Bs.    We are on a B2B beginning September 5 so will be pre-tested.     I'll let you know what happens on Turn around for B2B's

I don't believe anyone can even guess what protocols will be for cruises in August 2022. 

There are 378 days left for departure from Reykjavik, today it is unpredictable what the requirements will be to be on board. Take it easy and don't worry . This will be the third attempt to do this cruise to Iceland and Greenland, the third is the charm.

Edited by gerelmx

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The current requirements for testing prior to cruising is only for cruises between August 6 and September 6, 2021.     They will be doing testing onboard gratis for PAX doing B2Bs.    We are on a B2B beginning September 5 so will be pre-tested.     I'll let you know what happens on Turn around for B2B's

I don't believe anyone can even guess what protocols will be for cruises in August 2022. 

Thank you!  We are on October 29/November 7 b2b and we can "check in" tomorrow for the November cruise and I was wondering (haha, obsessing) about what to put down for check-in time because I was trying to figure out if we would need to somehow get off and get a test...even though it made more sense for Celebrity to do it onboard for a b2b.  Honestly, these days, I just never know.  Anyway, your post allayed my fears.  Again, thank you!

Joanne

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will also be interested in B2B testing as we board on September 17th for a B2B.

22 hours ago, ymncruise said:

Maybe testing will no longer be needed. 

In our opinion, testing is already "no longer ... needed" for back-to-back, vaccinated passengers. 

These poor, vaccinated people -- if asymptomatic -- should not be put under the phenomenal stress of having to be tested on the second (or third) Embarkation Day -- and having to worry about the possibility of testing positive (potentially false positive). 

Celebrity should just "bite the bullet" on these good people, who have pumped vast amounts of cash into the cruise line's coffers to pay for the second (or even third) cruise.  They ought not to have to worry about potentially being forced to disembark and either be sent home or stuck in some kind of quarantine (perhaps in a foreign country).  [Celebrity is not going to fly people home forever.]

Every decent person should make known to Celebrity their judgment that back-to-back, vaccinated passengers should not have to undergo testing on the second/third/fourth Embarkation Day.

Thank you for reading our opinion -- and not bashing us!

Edited by jg51
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

In our opinion, testing is already "no longer ... needed" for back-to-back, vaccinated passengers. 

These poor, vaccinated people -- if asymptomatic -- should not be put under the phenomenal stress of having to be tested on the second (or third) Embarkation Day -- and having to worry about the possibility of testing positive (potentially false positive). 

Celebrity should just "bite the bullet" on these good people, who have pumped vast amounts of cash into the cruise line's coffers to pay for the second (or even third) cruise.  They ought not to have to worry about potentially being forced to disembark and either be sent home or stuck in some kind of quarantine (perhaps in a foreign country).  [Celebrity is not going to fly people home forever.]

Every decent person should make known to Celebrity their judgment that back-to-back, vaccinated passengers should not have to undergo testing on the second/third/fourth Embarkation Day.

Thank you for reading our opinion -- and not bashing us!

I have no problem being tested between B2B.  The test only takes a minute and really is not at all that invasive.   I little uncomfortable if you have the deep test but I understand the one they are doing is just a couple swabs around the inside of your nostral.    If that's the rule if you choose to sail B2B I'm all in support of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have no problem being tested between B2B.  The test only takes a minute and really is not at all that invasive.   I little uncomfortable if you have the deep test but I understand the one they are doing is just a couple swabs around the inside of your nostral.    If that's the rule if you choose to sail B2B I'm all in support of it.

Well said. As long as Celebrity introduces health and safety protocols in an attempt to increase the safety for its passengers and crew, I'm all in support too.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good heavens!  You completely missed our point, sir.

We said nothing about the "invasive[ness]" or about a test being a "little uncomfortable."  Those things are irrelevant to the points we made.

• Like 1

I am currently on a back to back on Apex.  Yesterday (Saturday) was the “changeover” day.  On Friday morning EVERYONE—all persons on board, those departing yesterday, those on B2Bs…and EVERY crew member—was administered a test…a requirement of the Greek government apparently.  Tests were administered by a testing company brought on board for this purpose…quickly and efficiently.  Over 1700 tests all done before noon.  We had no line, no waiting…done in only a couple of minutes—scan card, sit down, swab in both nostrils.  Had results by that afternoon.  Three or four people on ship tested positive IIRC.  Not sure what happened with them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Steve

That relieves my mind!  I guess I had a vision of when I went into a Walgreens..twenty minute wait, filling at paperwork, wait for the person to get supplies, etc.  I just couldn’t imagine a small onboard medical office being able to process a couple of thousand people.

Hopefully, in a year, the situation will ease.  We are going on another B2B in seven weeks, and it looks quite a bit darker.

22 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I am currently on a back to back on Apex.  Yesterday (Saturday) was the “changeover” day.  On Friday morning EVERYONE—all persons on board, those departing yesterday, those on B2Bs…and EVERY crew member—was administered a test…a requirement of the Greek government apparently.  Tests were administered by a testing company brought on board for this purpose…quickly and efficiently.  Over 1700 tests all done before noon.  We had no line, no waiting…done in only a couple of minutes—scan card, sit down, swab in both nostrils.  Had results by that afternoon.  Three or four people on ship tested positive IIRC.  Not sure what happened with them.

Howdy, "Bruin Steve."  Long time, no chat.

Glad that you are having a positive experience onboard -- and we don't mean a "positive" virus test!

From the way you described what happened, it appears that you approve of the testing of all those embarking or re-embarking -- because the testing seemed so clear and simple to you, with results that did not trouble you.

It may seem surprising to you, but we see what happened as further supporting our earlier-stated position -- that no person who has been vaccinated and is asymptomatic should be required to undergo testing (neither on his/her first Embarkation Day nor on a subsequent one [of B2B, B3B, etc.]).  Why do we say that your experience further supports our position?

..... (1)  We doubt that such speed and efficiency as you witnessed would ever be implemented at a U.S. port.

..... (2)  Based on the numbers you reported -- 3 or 4 out of >1,700 -- the (alleged) positive rate was, at most, 0.0024 (i.e., 1 out of about 425 people). 

..... (3)  One or more of those 3 or 4 people may have gotten a "false positive" test [and many others may have gotten a false negative!].  Even if all the tests were accurate, however, it is very probable that the 3 or 4 people, if they were vaccinated, were both asymptomatic and incapable of transmitting the virus.

We consider the test to have been a failure ...

..... (1) because of the tremendous expense involved, and ...

..... (2) because of the phenomenal anxiety it must have caused many of the guests -- especially most of the B2B folks (even if you yourself accepted it calmly).

Nowadays, a very high percentage of guests (especially B2B guests) are folks aged between 60 and 90, who are vaccinated and asymptomatic.  These are mature folks who know better than to endanger their own lives (and those of others) by getting involved in risky behaviors that can result in transmission of the virus [prostitution, maskless bar-hopping, etc.]. 

These good people "made" Celebrity (and all the other cruise lines) into the successes that the lines became between 1990 and 2019 -- so these good people ought not, in their "golden years," be subjected to the indignity of being tested on any E-Day (#1, #2, #3, etc.). 

Yes, we noticed what you said about the Greek government having required this.  Therefore, we condemn that government's indiscriminate action in their port,  just as much as we condemn Celebrity's indiscriminate action in U.S. ports. 

Why did we use the word, "indiscriminate" twice?  What, to us, is an acceptable and just form of discrimination?  We are in favor of the Greek government (or the cruise line) carrying out portside testing of (1) all non-vaccinated guests and (2) all vaccinated guests that report having recently experienced symptoms -- but only those two groups of people.  It is reasonable and just to discriminate against them.

We are, however, totally against anyone (even including the folks in those two "suspect" groups) being forced to seek testing, away from the port, in the three days before embarkation.  The current procedure, instituted recently by Celebrity, is something that has instantaneously generated a "racket," a multi-zillion-dollar enterprise involving potentially unscrupulous entities all over the U.S. and all over the other nations in which Celebrity ships have embarkation ports.  This racket needs to be shut down -- by requiring only the testing we described above (dockside only and of suspect groups only).

Thanks for the opportunity to expound a bit more on this crucial topic.

Edited by jg51

@jg51

Some of your complaint with regard to X and U.S. departures is misplaced.  The CDC has X between a rock and a hard place.  You do know how the color grading for each ship / each cruise works, correct?  Green/Orange/Yellow/Red?    >=0.1% of pax (3 out of 3000) or a single crew member can throw them into a "Yellow" status, and the investigation by the CDC begins.  The CDC could care less whether a positive test came from a vaccinated or unvaccinated individual, or whether they were symptomatic or asymptomatic and just happened to have been caught through a contact trace after a symptomatic person tested positive.  I understand fully X's desire to deal only in 100% testing.  They already have a number of ships in 'yellow' already.  They can't afford to play around with your "suspect groups".  Too many asymptomatic individuals test positive.

In this business, risk mitigation has become job #1, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

@jg51

Some of your complaint with regard to X and U.S. departures is misplaced.  The CDC has X between a rock and a hard place.  You do know how the color grading for each ship / each cruise works, correct?  Green/Orange/Yellow/Red?    >=0.1% of pax (3 out of 3000) or a single crew member can throw them into a "Yellow" status, and the investigation by the CDC begins.  The CDC could care less whether a positive test came from a vaccinated or unvaccinated individual, or whether they were symptomatic or asymptomatic and just happened to have been caught through a contact trace after a symptomatic person tested positive.  I understand fully X's desire to deal only in 100% testing.  They already have a number of ships in 'yellow' already.  They can't afford to play around with your "suspect groups".  Too many asymptomatic individuals test positive.

In this business, risk mitigation has become job #1, unfortunately.

Hello, "canderson."

Even if we assume that everything you have written is fully accurate (and you therefore seem to deflecting the blame on CDC, to absolve Celebrity of blame), we would still hold it against Celebrity.  Why?  For failing to fight the "system" and wimpily giving in to the color-coded threats.  Others have had the guts to fight the CDC, and -- if what you say is true -- Celebrity can (and should) do so too.

We believe that, based on the very purpose of its existence, Celebrity ought to be looking out for the comfort of its clients, not giving in to a bureaucratic threat.  Testing 100% of the guests is simply wrong, and we do not silently tolerate a cruise line doing what is wrong.

Edited by jg51