Norwegian Encore – The Great Cruise Comeback Live

BirdTravels

3 hours ago, wacruiselover said:

We are on the September 4 sailing of the Encore. We always carry our bags and will need to get from Pier 66 to the Ferry Terminal. Cabs were doing a flat rate of $40 and we're rather frugal. It is about a mile so it seemed walkable - but two years ago it just about killed my wife and I (both seniors). We need a better option this time. Is there any reasonable way to get to the Ferry from the cruise dock?

Hi!  We are also on the Sept 4 sailing. 

We are coming in on Amtrak on Sept 3... about .5 mile walk to Marriott our hotel.  According to Bird's suggestion - we plan to check our bags, then get our tests and then wait for our boarding time.  Would be fun to meet up with you somewhere through this process or at the roll call meet and greet.  Have you signed up for that?

Bird, a question about Ketchikan. Is Ward Cove terminal anywhere near the main highway? Do you know if the city bus was running? I believe there is a city bus that went through that area from downtown to Totem Bight when we were there a couple of years ago. Just wondering if that is available still as an alternative? It was $2 for their all day pass then. On Google map it looks like its right near the Tongass Highway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wacruiselover said:

We are on the September 4 sailing of the Encore. We always carry our bags and will need to get from Pier 66 to the Ferry Terminal. Cabs were doing a flat rate of $40 and we're rather frugal. It is about a mile so it seemed walkable - but two years ago it just about killed my wife and I (both seniors). We need a better option this time. Is there any reasonable way to get to the Ferry from the cruise dock?

It is a very short distance, only a minute or two by car. If you hadn't already mentioned it I would have suggested to walk. Uber or Lyft should be very cheap for this ride

Thanks Bird for the room service menu!  

I was actually thinking about it for the Ketchikan day.  I posted about my concerns about my private tour and the local tour vendor agreed about bumping up times - she said that Ward Cove has been a total disaster and can’t understand NCL’s decision on this.  She said that the traffic is a nightmare and saw this with this week’s sailing.  It sounds like private operators can’t go there and they don’t want to anyway because of the traffic situation. 

Edited by TardisDance

16 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Are crew and guests being held to the same vaccine standards?

Are crew allowed to have the Chinese or Russian vaccine?

Crew on the Encore received the  JJ vaccine in San Juan while onboard the Joy.

There might be some additional joins that received different vaccines after the Joy transfer. 

Gem also got  JJ in San Juan. 

Jade got Pfizer in Greece as did getaway. 

Some crew onboard the Epic received theirs at home; Moderno or Pfizer.  Others got theirs on the Spirit before transferring. 

There will likely be a mixture of acceptable  vaccinesafter all ships are recrewed .

Same with pax.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Breakfast in bed or out on the balcony watching Alaska could. It be easier. Fill out your hang tag and it will be delivered to your door. 

642B808C-7DF4-462E-8EE6-BA2E207DB5C3.jpeg

Always wished that they had toast on this menu . . . 2 slices of Toast and Coffee, great way to get a kickstart! 

5 minutes ago, Wvshimmy said:

Crew on the Encore received the  JJ vaccine in San Juan while onboard the Joy.

There might be some additional joins that received different vaccines after the Joy transfer. 

Gem also got  JJ in San Juan. 

Jade got Pfizer in Greece as did getaway. 

Some crew onboard the Epic received theirs at home; Moderno or Pfizer.  Others got theirs on the Spirit before transferring. 

There will likely be a mixture of acceptable  vaccinesafter all ships are recrewed .

Same with pax.

Many have also gone through several quarantines and numerous ongoing testings.

53 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

This caught my eye.... MIL was told she didn't need a passport (she lost her after our Italy trip). Does she need to now bring her birth certificate with her, or is the enhanced drivers license she has fine?

image.thumb.png.4c5ba6821b645a72184c2c0c45acfa18.png

You are still on an international cruise and must comply with the documentation requirements of NCL or you will be denied boarding. These requirements are in your cruise documents. 

Generic requirements are here

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kbsatt said:

You may want to consider a pre-covid test.   I did a home test before i got on the flight to Seattle.  They also moved up testing times to deal with the prior long wait times, so perhaps things will go more smoothly on the 14th.  

What we plan to do also. 

Better than traveling to the port and getting a shock,  although not foolproof now.

52 minutes ago, ROCruiser said:

Bird, a question about Ketchikan. Is Ward Cove terminal anywhere near the main highway? Do you know if the city bus was running? I believe there is a city bus that went through that area from downtown to Totem Bight when we were there a couple of years ago. Just wondering if that is available still as an alternative? It was $2 for their all day pass then. On Google map it looks like its right near the Tongass Highway.

It is just off the highway. Probably about a 1/4 mile walk through the port (if they let you). It is all unpaved roads. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TardisDance said:

I posted about my concerns about my private tour and the local tour vendor agreed about bumping up times - she said that Ward Cove has been a total disaster and can’t understand NCL’s decision on this.  She said that the traffic is a nightmare and saw this with this week’s sailing.  It sounds like private operators can’t go there and they don’t want to anyway because of the traffic situation. 

The parking area is small and was wall-to-wall motorcoaches. 

The tour operator double booked themselves with the HAL ship in port. They subcontracted with another company to run the tours. The ship showed up 90 minutes late causing shore ex to pile up on top of each other causing more congestion. 

5 hours ago, TerryNJon said:

An

Any suggestions as to a good place near the pier to have someone (not Uber) pick you up?

The Edgewater Hotel is next to Pier 66, Alaskan Way at Wall St. Drivers can access the hotel via Wall St to avoid the cruise chaos on Alaskan Way. 

I get dropped off/picked up on Elliott St at Bell St. That’s the entrance to both the Pier 66 parking garage and the Bell Street Pedestrian Bridge that crosses over Alaskan Way directly to Pier 66. 

• Like 1

Good morning Seattle!

BA974BB5-0CFC-4CC9-9FE1-D1AEA6C27145.thumb.jpeg.26ace0c48311e1d1fdccb208884f0abb.jpeg

Like the entire cruise, the Encore seems to fashionably late for arrival. The “plan” was to be at the dock with the gangway open at 6:00. The ship is just getting to Pier 66 now. 

The Bird foresees mass chaos on the gangway shortly with all of the folks with early flights. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1