Any Canadian Cruising???....doing alot of dreaming

Kelownabccan

20 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

As someone that sells travel insurance as well as cruises, I agree 100% with you. Double, triple, quadruple check what you are covered for. Many of the policies I sell do cover Covid-19 BUT the fine print is the bit you want to really take note of. Almost all say that you are not covered if there is a government travel advisory in place. I have no first hand info/knowledge that would say if they would/would not cover you if you chose to cruise and needed to claim...but I, personally, would not risk it just yet.

Fellow cc member (see post 23) has booked a cruise and is fully insured by Manulife, including for Covid related illnesses.  You say that no coverage is available if there is a government travel advisory in place.  We did explore getting insurance for a cruise in 2021 and we’re told we would not be covered.  I’m so confused!

4 minutes ago, andrewp said:

No problem!  It's not in the best interest of these companies to refuse coverage which is why I think they believe there it's worth offering the COVID coverage.  No one insured = no profit for them!

I'd keep looking and talking to them.  Manulife has been very good to us over the years including a couple of claims for fairly minor items that required a hospital visit. 

I'll certainly report back on how things went.  My only minor concern right now is that they'll accept the vaccination information that Ontario gives us since it's not really a "passport".  When we get a little closer to the cruise, I plan on reaching out to Princess to make sure they've seen that before an no one is surprised.

Andrew

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge of travel insurance.  I’ll look forward to your trip report!

13 minutes ago, andrewp said:

No problem!  It's not in the best interest of these companies to refuse coverage which is why I think they believe there it's worth offering the COVID coverage.  No one insured = no profit for them!

I'd keep looking and talking to them.  Manulife has been very good to us over the years including a couple of claims for fairly minor items that required a hospital visit. 

I'll certainly report back on how things went.  My only minor concern right now is that they'll accept the vaccination information that Ontario gives us since it's not really a "passport".  When we get a little closer to the cruise, I plan on reaching out to Princess to make sure they've seen that before an no one is surprised.

Andrew

What test & where are you getting the covid tests in Ontario?  How much is the test?

1 minute ago, 007colocruz said:

What test & where are you getting the covid tests in Ontario?  How much is the test?

We are still a few weeks away, but we'll get the Antigen test at Shoppers Drug Mart for $40 two days before we fly (three before we cruise).  That's all that's CURRENTLY required for entry into the US and to board the ship.

Returning, Princess will administer a PCR test onboard for free (again CURRENTLY!) that will be good for our return home.  The only thing I need to verify is that we can do it the two days before disembarkation because we don't fly out until the day after.  

That's the plan anyway!

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Fellow cc member (see post 23) has booked a cruise and is fully insured by Manulife, including for Covid related illnesses.  You say that no coverage is available if there is a government travel advisory in place.  We did explore getting insurance for a cruise in 2021 and we’re told we would not be covered.  I’m so confused!

I didn't say no coverage is available...I said everyone should read VERY CAREFULLY the fine print to see if it mentions travel advisories. Most do, but I'm sure not all. That being said, I'm surprised to hear Manulife is covering cruise travel - they were the first to pull their cruise coverage but they have always had a plan that covered Covid. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I didn't say no coverage is available...I said everyone should read VERY CAREFULLY the fine print to see if it mentions travel advisories. Most do, but I'm sure not all. That being said, I'm surprised to hear Manulife is covering cruise travel - they were the first to pull their cruise coverage but they have always had a plan that covered Covid. 

Thank you for clarifying.  I’m finding that travel insurance these days is quite complicated.  Our last cruise in 2019 it was so easy and reasonably priced.

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Completely agree with you, I have a similar slight advantage as you because I was a travel agent a number of years ago and we did sell some travel insurance plus cruises.  The fine print is what matters, so going through the policy to make sure cruises are included was key for us.  Again, being fairly young and healthy makes it much easier but it doesn't appear that the policies are more restrictive than before at the base level other than you must be vaccinated to have the coverage for COVID-19.  It looks like Manulife would be more restrictive after age 59 and require a medical questionnaire  that would determine if you were eligible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andrewp said:

Completely agree with you, I have a similar slight advantage as you because I was a travel agent a number of years ago and we did sell some travel insurance plus cruises.  The fine print is what matters, so going through the policy to make sure cruises are included was key for us.  Again, being fairly young and healthy makes it much easier but it doesn't appear that the policies are more restrictive than before at the base level other than you must be vaccinated to have the coverage for COVID-19.  It looks like Manulife would be more restrictive after age 59 and require a medical questionnaire  that would determine if you were eligible.

This was part of an updated FAQ Manulife sent to TAs at the end of May (it could well have been updated since then, but I haven't booked anything since so haven't checked):

d) Update regarding cruise bookings

o Cruise travel will be excluded from coverage while the Level 4 “Avoid All Cruise Line Travel” advisory is in place.

o If your client is fully vaccinated, coverage for COVID-19 will be available on a cruise when the Level 4 “Avoid All Cruise Line Travel” advisory is removed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andrewp said:

Have a look at Manulife's coverage here: https://www.coverme.com/content/dam/affinity/coverme/english/documents/coverme-covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan-policy.pdf

If you look at page 7 under point 25 you can see that they have an exception for COVID treatment related to a cruise and a statement that if you illness is not related to the advisory (terrorism etc) then the exception does not apply.

"Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. For claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply. Exception: Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary is not covered if you have not received the vaccine. For claims not due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply if your medical condition is unrelated to the travel advisory"

Given that we are young, healthy, close to Canada and by all accounts covered for Covid related items, we felt it's safe to proceed.

Andrew

Canadian Snowbird Medipac does not have a cruise exclusion - in fact they mention a 10-night cruise vacation as an example of a short-term need.  They do cover for Covid-19 and I see they are offering a discount this year if you are fully-vaccinated.

ETA:  They also mention that a travel advisory to a location for Covid doesn't count.  IOW, you are still covered if the only reason for the federal travel advisory is Covid (which is most places situation anyway).

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, andrewp said:

My only minor concern right now is that they'll accept the vaccination information that Ontario gives us since it's not really a "passport".  When we get a little closer to the cruise, I plan on reaching out to Princess to make sure they've seen that before an no one is surprised.

I would have both Ontario receipts in hand.  I think the best idea is to be ready to quickly access the Ontario vaccine website where you enter your data and get back the proof.  This is mentioned in the FAQ's by Princess and it is a bit of a pain to take the time, but if they ask, you are ready.  Hopefully the PDF's or printed copy suffices.

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thanks for your quick reply.  Unfortunately, we are are not young and my DH has a heart condition, which is well controlled by meds.  I would assume that is why we were refused coverage.  I guess we could shop around, but I’m sure it would be extremely expensive side for us.  Since our booked cruises are in 2022, we are hoping for things to change  by then.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise and would love for you to report back to us.

Have you looked into Medipac Travel Insurance?  They cater to snowbirds and may have more coverage options for seniors and those with pre-existing conditions.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Have you looked into Medipac Travel Insurance?  They cater to snowbirds and may have more coverage options for seniors and those with pre-existing conditions.

Thank you, I’ll do that and report back.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, windsurferfirst said:

Wondering who the CD will be on Regal Princess when she starts her UK cruises in July.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, Steelers36 said:

Not sure either what is attempting to be communicated.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, ceilidh1 said:

I don't know what that means? Princess insurance?

Go to Princess.com and then to "Manage my Booking".  At the top left on that page is a big red "Update" button next to the link to the Health and Travel Advisory.  Click that and then "learn more about our guest protocols".  From there you should go to the FAQ "for cruises from the US'.  The FAQ has most of the details.  It will also show which items have been updated recently. 

It was only in the FAQ's that I learned last week that my mixed doses (AZ and Moderna) are not acceptable!  On the other hand, I learned today that I could get an antigen test (quick results) instead of needing a PCR test (up to 72 hours for results)!  That means I don't have to fly from NS to Florida without any test results - not knowing if I will be able to board.

Don from Halifax

2 minutes ago, alfieisgod said:

Go to Princess.com and then to "Manage my Booking".  At the top left on that page is a big red "Update" button next to the link to the Health and Travel Advisory.  Click that and then "learn more about our guest protocols".  From there you should go to the FAQ "for cruises from the US'.  The FAQ has most of the details.  It will also show which items have been updated recently. 

It was only in the FAQ's that I learned last week that my mixed doses (AZ and Moderna) are not acceptable!  On the other hand, I learned today that I could get an antigen test (quick results) instead of needing a PCR test (up to 72 hours for results)!  That means I don't have to fly from NS to Florida without any test results - not knowing if I will be able to board.

Don from Halifax

Understood, but the cryptic response to the post about travel insurance didn't seem to fit, so it was puzzling to some of us.  And, yes, it is an improvement by Princess to mark the updated areas so people don't have to re-read all of it.  Hopefully, when they update again, they will remove the current flags and highlight the new changes.  Either that, or date the changes.

I’m booked for November and I have every intention of going. I’m trying to decide between princess protection or getting my own insurance. I’ve been watching Dons family vacations on YouTube and he had manulife for his recent cruise but he says they won’t cover Covid anymore so he’s shopping around for another company for his cruise that’s coming up in two weeks. So I’ll be watching to see what he goes with. I’ve heard a few stories about breakthrough infections and I’m more concerned about the plane and airport than anything else. I might double mask up for the flight. 

34 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

Has anyone checked the Princess platinum insurance?  What does it say about covid coverage?  

Yes, it does and we have added it to our booking for cancellation purposes.  However, the medical coverage is not nearly enough and we will have to add that with another insurer.  We did check out Medipac and although their rates are a bit higher than Bluecross, they will cover covid related illnesses and will accept my husband’s pre-existing heart condition.  Total of both insurances is about $900.00 ca. for both of us.

• Like 1

We have the MEDOC plan that covers us....and leave the country for us to 35 days as many times a year as we want....should phone them to see what the COVID coverage is like....

Also....like the idea that Princess gives a free Covid test a day before you get off the ship....so if negative can go straight to the airport in the am and be home in the pm from LA.....not sure what HAL is up to with this idea......as we like to cruise also out of SAN.....a nicer place to see and get to the ship.....

Still keeping an eye on ones to the Mexican Riviera from LA or SAN........the Alaska ones are nice but too much like BC....lol......just as much of a hassle to fly to SEA as to California.....

3 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

We have the MEDOC plan that covers us....and leave the country for us to 35 days as many times a year as we want....should phone them to see what the COVID coverage is like....

Also....like the idea that Princess gives a free Covid test a day before you get off the ship....so if negative can go straight to the airport in the am and be home in the pm from LA.....not sure what HAL is up to with this idea......as we like to cruise also out of SAN.....a nicer place to see and get to the ship.....

Still keeping an eye on ones to the Mexican Riviera from LA or SAN........the Alaska ones are nice but too much like BC....lol......just as much of a hassle to fly to SEA as to California.....

We no longer do cruises out of the US ( Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, etc) as we have done so many in the past.  We now cruise almost exclusively in Europe and for a minimum of 2+ weeks.  The fjords are breathtaking!  Still checking other insurance companies,  but will likely take Medipac.

Just up on CBC...

For Canadians who decide to travel, using a proof of vaccination will provide foreign border officials with the vaccination history needed to assess whether a traveller meets their public health requirements and provide a trusted and verifiable credential for when they return home," says a government release.

Not sure how this will go???....but still have the pre and post COVID testing....what a hassle....

Phoned MEDOC.....if get covid in the usa or anywhere your hospital stay is covered.....only part not covered is pre travel cancellation of trip....using covid as a reason for not going....so if I have a heart attack at home I get all my money back...lol.....Ken

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Just up on CBC...

For Canadians who decide to travel, using a proof of vaccination will provide foreign border officials with the vaccination history needed to assess whether a traveller meets their public health requirements and provide a trusted and verifiable credential for when they return home," says a government release.

Not sure how this will go???....but still have the pre and post COVID testing....what a hassle....

Phoned MEDOC.....if get covid in the usa or anywhere your hospital stay is covered.....only part not covered is pre travel cancellation of trip....using covid as a reason for not going....so if I have a heart attack at home I get all my money back...lol.....Ken

That coverage exclusion sounds about right - actually more than right.  It is a typical exclusion these days.  So, you need to know you are not going to get cold feet over Covid-19 after booking.  Seems reasonable.

12 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Just up on CBC...

I’ve been mulling over what to do too. We’re flying in a day early and princess protection covers the cruise, but what if something happens that one day before the cruise? So now I’m thinking about buying a medical travel coverage in addition to the princess protection. I think I even have travel insurance through my work and my credit card too but id rather be over covered than under covered. 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, andrewp said:

Have a look at Manulife's coverage here: https://www.coverme.com/content/dam/affinity/coverme/english/documents/coverme-covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan-policy.pdf

If you look at page 7 under point 25 you can see that they have an exception for COVID treatment related to a cruise and a statement that if you illness is not related to the advisory (terrorism etc) then the exception does not apply.

"Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. For claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply. Exception: Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary is not covered if you have not received the vaccine. For claims not due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply if your medical condition is unrelated to the travel advisory"

Given that we are young, healthy, close to Canada and by all accounts covered for Covid related items, we felt it's safe to proceed.

Andrew

I believe that clause 25 is overpowered by clause 26...

26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory. 27. "Avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice." (Gov of Canada website)

So therefore by my read, Manulife is not covering Covid (even under their Covid specific policy) but all other medical claims until Canada removes the "Avoid all Travel" for cruises.  The good news is Blue Cross is now covering, so maybe things will change before my river cruise in October??

1 hour ago, Lizabu said:

I’ve been mulling over what to do too. We’re flying in a day early and princess protection covers the cruise, but what if something happens that one day before the cruise? So now I’m thinking about buying a medical travel coverage in addition to the princess protection. I think I even have travel insurance through my work and my credit card too but id rather be over covered than under covered. 

Travel insurance through work is usually the best and cheapest you can get. It costs literally pennies a day and in my case at least they do not make a distinction between illnesses. That means if its Covid, as long as it is medically required, you're covered. I'd encourage you to talk to your insurance carrier that you get from work and double check of course but it generally is really good coverage. 

• Like 1