Was Belieze port doing random testing of cruise passengers?

AtSeaWithChris

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

I would love a definitive answer on this before I get on a Carnival ship. If you are positive with mild symptoms, do you simply stay on the ship in quarantine until it returns to the original US port, or does Carnival disembark you at the next port whatever that is? I know RC was disembarking people (and flying them back) but that seemed to be a special arrangement in the Bahamas.  

There is no definitive answer. The decision is up to the ship doctor.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and

US Expected to Recommend COVID Boosters for All 8 Months After 2nd Dose

Because this is simply deflection and irrelevant.

Because nobody is taking those vaccines and they want to make sure they get used up and the dollars earned for every shot given. Lol just teasing. Kinda. 😂

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The hospitalization and death rate of vaccinated people is not zero.

accurate statement but it's as low for the vaccinated to get that sick  in the group of people that get vaccinated as it compares to the general population of unvaxed and vaxed catching covid.

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Since carnival has a written policy that basically says once off the ship you are on your own. Maybe this is why to buy insurance, not that it will change any minds.

For the first time in my life, I will be traveling with full trip insurance for any trips in the following year, but especially for my upcoming Carnival cruises. Not so much for trip protection, but for medical including ample medi-evaccuation insurance.

Also,  I hope people will try to keep this thread to Vista and Belize and the COVID on the Vista and the testing and NOT onto general COVID/Vaccination topics so this thread does not disappear for violating the rules on COVID-related discussions (in red at the top of the forum). I am not a moderator; I just hate seeing valuable discussions disappear.

• Like 2

BACK TO THE OP’s ORIGINAL QUESTION - we are on the Vista right this minute preparing to depart Belize. 
There was NO random testing done today as pax went ashore. 
Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with one exception. We were told local ordinances required everyone who went ashore to wear a mask 100% of the time both indoors and out. 
Of course, there was the normal contingent who felt it was OK to wear it below their chins. And no one challenged them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

BACK TO THE OP’s ORIGINAL QUESTION - we are on the Vista right this minute preparing to depart Belize. 
Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with one exception. We were told local ordinances required everyone who went ashore to wear a mask 100% of the time both indoors and out. 
Of course, there was the normal contingent who felt it was OK to wear it below their chins. And no one challenged them. 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Doesn't random testing include no testing at all?

1 minute ago, timbom said:

I hate to raise this issue but is this a go fund me scam.? I have tried every responsible source and can only find this article from an ambulance chaser quoting a go fund me page.   Why has no one else verified that this happened???

I saw a blogger today picked it up.

It quite likely is legit however I dont see how carnival is to blame. She didnt feel well and skipped the excursion and her family came back and she was having trouble breathing. Carnival transported her to the hospital the blogger said in Belize. Belize hospital wasnt as advanced as here and so she started a go fund me page for the 20k to 30k to air lift her to usa. She was air lifted and in usa hospital where she died. 

Can you hold carnival responsible Belize didnt have better meds usa has? Sad story and moral is check your insurance blogger said. The fact a blogger picked it up, probably true. But dont see carnival at fault. The very day she said she felt bad, carnival transported her to a hospital. 

21 minutes ago, timbom said:

I hate to raise this issue but is this a go fund me scam.? I have tried every responsible source and can only find this article from an ambulance chaser quoting a go fund me page.   Why has no one else verified that this happened???

I am pretty sure it actually happened. I saw a report on it from what appeared to be a legitimate news source in Belize. Much less biased than this one. 

We could endlessly guess but I'm thinking carnival knew of this when they changed the policy to pre testing. To be so sick so fast into the cruise I might surmise she had been exposed prior to boarding. So carnival is protecting itself that now you have to show a negative test to board. 

Rcl has some doctors posting, but seems like to go to needing a ventilator half way thru a 7 day cruise she was exposed before she board. So now people will provide a added layer of security. The blogger said she was sent to a hospital that day she said she didnt feel well because she needed to be on a ventilator.  Maybe she had previous signs she ignored ..to go to needing a ventilator hours after saying she didnt feel well enough to do a excursion. 

9 minutes ago, timbom said:

Wow now a blogger is a source.  Can not believe national news has not picket up if true.  Can anyone show me such a source.  Perhaps that is why CC is kicking these discussions off the BB.

Now a 2nd blogger has it who I switched off. The news is spreading. It took 9 days for the news to pick up the 26 crew on vista. 

Cant post 2nd blogger I see as they sell cruises.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:49 AM, AtSeaWithChris said:

I read a report where some people said Belieze was randomly testing some cruisers debarking Carnival Vista. Is this true and does anyone have a link to an article?

what happens if you test positive? Would they let you back on the ship?

I was on the Vista 8/7-14 and yes they pulled random people for testing in Belize. What I heard on board was that all test results were negative. It seemed a little weird though, because once the test was done, the passengers were sent on their merry way and results were sent to the ship.  Go Figure😆

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, bdever said:

I hate to say it but unfortunately it does seem as there are those who will wait until the very last minute to report feeling ill mandating a test onboard. When I saw that my favorite cruise vloggers did this on day 6 of a 7 day cruise I was a bit saddened and disappointed. The party that was tested negative ventured outside of the cabin to bring back breakfast burritos never mind the fact that he is in close contact with a positive passenger 😢. Not to mention they didn’t bother double masking after 1 tested positive for the safety of the one who tested negative. It seems as though some vaccinated people forget that they still can get covid and transmit it to others & throw all mitigation protocols out the window. It is what it is, sad.

I also follow that vlogger and they self quarantined  when the one wasnt feeling well.  When taste and smell were lost they notified medical and got the respective tests.  As for venturing out, that was done early on  prior to testing, not after. 

7 minutes ago, dmndlil said:

I also follow that vlogger and they self quarantined  when the one wasnt feeling well.  When taste and smell were lost they notified medical and got the respective tests.  As for venturing out, that was done early on  prior to testing, not after. 

Watch it again. There was mention of both going out at the end for fresh air and sunshine after being confined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, tallnthensome said:

The truth is most aren't that dumb even if not the ethical thing to do. 

What is dumb is having a serious illness and trying to treat yourself. It may not turn into something deadly, but the sooner you receive the proper medical treatment, the better. Or infected others who had worse results?

I wonder how many people self-diagnosed/misdiagnosed themselves on land and died as a result of waiting too long to see a doctor/hospital? Now that is Dumb with a capital D.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:02 PM, coldinkansas said:

I was on the Vista 8/7-14 and yes they pulled random people for testing in Belize. What I heard on board was that all test results were negative. It seemed a little weird though, because once the test was done, the passengers were sent on their merry way and results were sent to the ship.  Go Figure😆

JMO it probably was based on this info and was for that cruise only:

"Nonetheless, in an abundance of caution after discussions and consultations undertaken with the Ministry of Health and Wellness, an additional protocol will be implemented for today’s call. Effectively, all passengers that have a negative COVID-19 test will be asked to provide proof of this negative test, and for those passengers that do not have proof of negative test will be subject to random testing to be carried out by the Ministry of Health and Wellness."

https://belizetourismboard.org/carnival-vista-port-call-to-belize-city/

Edited by SeaHunt
added info

On 8/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, firefly333 said:

Belize hospital wasnt as advanced as here and so she started a go fund me page for the 20k to 30k to air lift her to usa. She was air lifted and in usa hospital where she died. 

I NEVER travel without trip insurance that includes hospitalization. Having spent 31 years in the USMC, I've seen the "standard of care," practiced worldwide and yes, you don't want to rely on a local hospital to save your life ( much less pay for it). 

1 minute ago, MauiWowie57 said:

What I'm interested to know, as I have a cruise booked for October, is the probability or possibly of a CCL cancellation ....Not that I want them to, but I'd rather just get it over with sooner vice later.

Nobody knows but I think the cruises will continue as they are now. 

2 hours ago, dmndlil said:

Prior to being tested but experiencing symptoms & contagious, which doesn’t equate to quarantine. If someone is avoiding a test for risk of being taken off at port but is experiencing symptoms then one should at least adhere to proper quarantine procedures and not venture out of their cabin at minimum. 

Edited by bdever
  • Like 2