Venice to Koper - help us HAL

suec12

this may be a rumor but there are some posters here dealing with cruises coming up soon that were supposed to either embarrk or disembark in Venice. Well the Navigator app is showing Koper as the final destination for Sept. 5 cruise - we were supposed to embark there Sept. 12. Well Trieste was one thing, Koper seems more complicated to me. We are not using HAL Flightease - any guesses if / how HAL will facilitate this? I know I should just be patient but just trying to get an idea of options. Any chance HAL will let us cancel because they have changed this so much! (we don't have insurance but this seems like a big kink to me!)

I would think that they will update Navigator with the correct information as soon as it is released.  August 30th is the date, but maybe that is just another rumour.  We do know that the fickle finger of fate is much more reliable than Navigator.  

The website is still showing Venice for final destination 🤞

Looked quickly for a solution, but I am sure there will be a better one from someone in the know. We are interested as we will be boarding a cruise in September 2022 from currently listed as Venice.

It looks to be about three hours by bus from Venice to Koper. A ferry runs from the Port of Venice to Piran, and then a short bus ride to Koper.

Looks like the ferry from Venice to Piran no longer operates.

I really don't see HAL using Koper as an embark/disembark port as access is too restricted.  They are more likely to use Trieste or Monfalcone. IMO

12 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

It looks to be about three hours by bus from Venice to Koper. A ferry runs from the Port of Venice to Piran, and then a short bus ride to Koper.

How would I accomplish this with a suitcase and a carry on?

29 minutes ago, Roz said:

How would I accomplish this with a suitcase and a carry on?

I did put a disclaimer with my response as hopefully a more suitable slution would be forthcoming. I do understand your concern and I am not trying to be rude either.

My wife and I are in our 70`s and just returned from an Iceland cruise. Two suitcases close to the limit of 50 lbs., two carry ons, and a backpack camera bag for me. A 3-hour bus ride to the airport, overnight flight, and a bus from the airport to Reykjavik plus mini-bus to a stop by the hotel. This trip we did travel like this as we not only did the cruise but a week long driving trip as well. Weather was also a factor for packing as we were traveling from 90's to potentially 50's with driving rain. 

But we are trying to learn to travel lighter with our new 35 litre backpack suitcases.

• Like 1

Why the worry over an apparently unsubstantiated rumor?

Why not contact HAL or a knowledgeable TA... or wait until  HAL  makes an official statement? 

I have no doubt that HAL will not leave customers in the lurch on this.  They will arrive at an acceptable solution.

Edited by iancal

I'm on the sep 5 -12 sailing on the Eurodam. According to the itinerary on the Navigator app, wel will dock at Marghera ,the industrial port of Venice , close to the airport.

I talked to somebody at HAL this afternoon about something else and asked him why the data in the app differs from what's on the website. He said that the data in the app , is being fed by data directly from the ship... If this is true , I don't know. But he told me people at the office are often frustrated by the lack of up to date information .

1 hour ago, rotjeknor said:

I'm on the sep 5 -12 sailing on the Eurodam. According to the itinerary on the Navigator app, wel will dock at Marghera ,the industrial port of Venice , close to the airport.

I talked to somebody at HAL this afternoon about something else and asked him why the data in the app differs from what's on the website. He said that the data in the app , is being fed by data directly from the ship... If this is true , I don't know. But he told me people at the office are often frustrated by the lack of up to date information .

So you have a cruise in a week and don’t yet know where the ship will be docked 😳😳. That’s a problem.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

So you have a cruise in a week and don’t yet know where the ship will be docked 😳😳. That’s a problem.

No , not so much. In a week’s time it will dock in Athens for embarkation, where we will disembark remains a bit foggy. But it will be somewhere on the North Adriatic coast 😉

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

No , not so much. In a week’s time it will dock in Athens for embarkation, where we will disembark remains a bit foggy. But it will be somewhere on the North Adriatic coast 😉

O’ so you have three weeks.  How are you arranging transportation to the airport and will it be in time for your return flight?

3 hours ago, iancal said:

I have no doubt that HAL will not leave customers in the lurch on this.  They will arrive at an acceptable solution.

They've left a lot of people in the lurch as far as Covid testing.

23 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

We just got our official word from HAL. We leave on Sept 12 from Porto Marghera but go thru check-in at the Venice terminal.  One more hurdle passed.  

Good news but what about timing.  Can you still make your outbound flight?

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Good news but what about timing.  Can you still make your outbound flight?

Our.notification was for embarkation.   No news on where they are having us disembark yet.  Our itinerary says Venice at the end, arriving Oct 5 and disembarking the 6th.  If we are back at Marghera it won’t be a problem. 

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

O’ so you have three weeks.  How are you arranging transportation to the airport and will it be in time for your return flight?

I have a flight out of Venice at 1140 . I already got a transfer with HAL . From Marghera to Venice airport is about 20 minutes. Expect no problems there.

2 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

I have a flight out of Venice at 1140 . I already got a transfer with HAL . From Marghera to Venice airport is about 20 minutes. Expect no problems there.

Agree, you are in better shape then the OP who thinks they may dock in Kopor.

Edited by KirkNC

35 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

I am curious .... for embarkation of Eurodam ... if you happen to be staying in Mestre (say, at the Hilton Garden Inn) ... can you go directly to the ship in Marghera to check in?

On MSC they said you had to go through the Venice cruise terminal.  

I'm the OP - so glad to now have confirmation we embark in Venice. I will say that a few days ago someone did post a screen shot from the Navigator app showing the Sept. 5 cruise ending in Koper so that seemed a real and unwelcome possibility. Glad HAL is now able to use Marghera.

We are staying in Mestre and the HAL email spedifically says to go to the Venice cruise terminal, NOT Marghera, for embarkation. After we are checked in and tested, we will be bused to the ship.

Also from what I have read, I think the revised EU protocols are going to deal with UNvaccinated individuals so I'm thinking HAL cruisers will not be affected.

YEAH! I finally think this cruise is happening for me😃

Edited by suec12
I can't spell