Bermuda cruises- Info and questions

goldmom

With the Bermuda cruises starting next month and all the protocols we'll need comply with for these sailings, I thought I'd start a thread just for information for Bermuda cruises.  There is some Bermuda info out there, but it's spread through different threads.

The biggest issue i'm having right now is trying to find a place to have the PCR test 4 days before that will get me results back in 24-48 hours.  All these testing requirements, timing, type of test, etc is becoming very stressful.  Hopefully, sharing information here will help us all have some answers and relieve some of the anxiety.

My latest saga.  I found a place near me for the PCR test that guaranteed a 36 hour result.  It's $75 with insurance, not free but not bad if it gets me fast results.  I e-mailed them to make sure that their test result page information will meet the criteria set by Bermuda to complete the Travel Authorisation Form.  The clinic said that I can't use their test for Bermuda because they only do a mid-turbinate swab and Bermuda requires an oro or nasopharyngeal swab.  Oh no, more big words!  I took this to mean that they do the lower nose swab and Bermuda wants the up to your brain swab.  I read through the Bermuda instruction page again and didn't see anything that stated this.  All I saw is that it must be a PCR test ie: RT-PCR or Rapid PCR and that it can't be an antigen or antibody test.  I then e-mailed the Bermuda Health Department and asked if the lower nose swab test was acceptable.  I will let everyone know what they say if and when I hear back.  I'm just getting really frustrated as I think I solve one problem and another problem raises it's ugly head.

To those of you on the first Bermuda cruises (Jamielogical et al), if you could post here and tell the rest of us the steps your taking and information or tips you have, the rest of us will really appreciate it!  At least I know I would!

• Like 3

I am on the last Bermuda cruise on October 31. I am hoping by the time my cruise, some of these restrictions might be loosen a bit. I too and finding a hard time finding a place to do a PCR with all of the requirement Bermuda wants. All of the testing site near is all antgen, not that many PCR places

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

I am on the last Bermuda cruise on October 31. I am hoping by the time my cruise, some of these restrictions might be loosen a bit. I too and finding a hard time finding a place to do a PCR with all of the requirement Bermuda wants. All of the testing site near is all antgen, not that many PCR places

I know, it's super stressful.  Hopefully those sailing before us will give us some pointers!

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Highly unlikely, I'm afraid. Bermuda is so strict about covid regulations. Travellers still bring covid into the island and lately most of the new cases are Delta variant. Bermuda is fighting hard to stop the transmissions on island. Antigen will not do.

The mask mandate is in effect - the whole time since the s**t hit the fan a year and a half ago - masks are needed indoors (stores, buildings, etc), in taxis, on buses (local and tour), when entering and exiting restaurants, etc. But when outside you can whip mask off for breather (high humidity here) as long as you are not close to other people.

Bermudians are generally cooperative about mask wearing and hope you all respect us and are cooperative.

With new covid cases increasing in USA and in other places, the USA need to make some effort to increase the number of testing facilities, manpower, etc, and shorten the timelines of getting results needed for travel.

Here in Bermuda we get results of the PCR nasal (brain) swabs in about 6 hours, and there are many many tests daily - even at the weekend.

Air travellers to Bermuda must test on arrival, on Day 4, etc, even if the Day 4 falls on a Sunday, it's being done on that day! After the arrival test they must go straight home, to hotel or to ship (Viking Orion) and stay there until they receive the test results. Positive cases are sent to hotel quarantine immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am booked on the 10/31 to Bermuda as well. Final payment is due in just a few days and I'm still not sure. I'm very interested in seeing what information those sailing on 9/26 are given. Was laughing earlier today about how specialty dining reservations were the biggest "challenge" last time we were on a cruise. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ama123 said:

I am booked on the 10/31 to Bermuda as well. Final payment is due in just a few days and I'm still not sure. I'm very interested in seeing what information those sailing on 9/26 are given. Was laughing earlier today about how specialty dining reservations were the biggest "challenge" last time we were on a cruise. 

I made the final payment for 10/24 this week, but only after finding two different ways to get the required test (one for the Bermuda Travel Authorisation and another for NCL's Sail Safe requirement) without driving 100 miles.

8 minutes ago, Marygracie C. said:

CVS does the PCR test in Connecticut where we live.I think it is the "brain swab"

I found the same thing near me in MA. We are on the 10/17 cruise and I come back from Albuquerque on Wednesday night 10/13 so hoping  to get a test on Thursday morning 10/14. I hope that qualifies for the time frame. 

sounds good to me ;however ,my head is spinning with time frame of testing and paperwork for Bermuda!My biggest fear /nightmare is testing positive on the ship and quarantined in a tiny cabin in the belly of the ship near the medical center!!!Dear God please not that!

I am on the Sept 26th cruise.  NCL said it would notify us 30 days before the cruise (today) to explain exactly what steps are necessary but we have not yet heard from them.

I e-mailed my insurance company to see if I can get the test at CVS or at another authorized place in my plan.  I am also going on Royal Caribbean Oasis two weeks after I return from Bermuda and only need an antigen test and want to know if I am covered for both.  Waiting to hear from them.

Everything I know right now I know from the official Bermuda site and the Crystal Cruises forum here on CC. Crystal had their first sailing to Bermuda from Boston this week, so they are the guinea pigs for those of us going in late September and October. There were fewer than 200 passengers onboard, though, from what I understand, so not a huge swath of experience yet.

I am trying to get clarification on whether CVS and/or Walgreens tests would be accepted. I have a test at CVS scheduled for next Wednesday because I am traveling to Canada via land border for Labor Day weekend. I had a test at Walgreens a few weeks back. What I plan to do is send the results of both of those tests to the Bermuda email address and ask if both/either of those would be acceptable for the travel authorization. I will report back with their reply. I have concerns about the Walgreens results because the result page says they use both PCR and TMA tests and does not specify which one (both?) they used for my results. I think Bermuda may see that and not accept it.

Still no info from NCL even though we are now exactly 30 days out. My PCC said to expect info at 30 days but I saw the FAQ on the Sail Safe page just says "within 30 days".

Here's the excerpt from my Walgreens results that has me concerned:

"This nucleic acid amplification test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by LabCorp Laboratories. Nucleic acid amplification tests include RT-PCR and TMA."

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Everything I know right now I know from the official Bermuda site and the Crystal Cruises forum here on CC. Crystal had their first sailing to Bermuda from Boston this week, so they are the guinea pigs for those of us going in late September and October. There were fewer than 200 passengers onboard, though, from what I understand, so not a huge swath of experience yet.

I am trying to get clarification on whether CVS and/or Walgreens tests would be accepted. I have a test at CVS scheduled for next Wednesday because I am traveling to Canada via land border for Labor Day weekend. I had a test at Walgreens a few weeks back. What I plan to do is send the results of both of those tests to the Bermuda email address and ask if both/either of those would be acceptable for the travel authorization. I will report back with their reply. I have concerns about the Walgreens results because the result page says they use both PCR and TAM tests and does not specify which one (both?) they used for my results. I think Bermuda may see that and not accept it.

Still no info from NCL even though we are now exactly 30 days out. My PCC said to expect info at 30 days but I saw the FAQ on the Sail Safe page just says "within 30 days".

Thanks for the information. Very interested in what you find out about the CVS/Walgreens tests as one of these would be my easiest option. 

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am trying to get clarification on whether CVS and/or Walgreens tests would be accepted. I have a test at CVS scheduled for next Wednesday because I am traveling to Canada via land border for Labor Day weekend. I had a test at Walgreens a few weeks back. What I plan to do is send the results of both of those tests to the Bermuda email address and ask if both/either of those would be acceptable for the travel authorization. I will report back with their reply. I have concerns about the Walgreens results because the result page says they use both PCR and TMA tests and does not specify which one (both?) they used for my results. I think Bermuda may see that and not accept it.

Here's the excerpt from my Walgreens results that has me concerned:

"This nucleic acid amplification test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by LabCorp Laboratories. Nucleic acid amplification tests include RT-PCR and TMA."

For the Walgreens test, was it labeled as the diagnostic test(PCR) or the Rapid Diagnostic Test (Rapid Molecular Test) when you scheduled it?  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, psac said:

For the Walgreens test, was it labeled as the diagnostic test(PCR) or the Rapid Diagnostic Test (Rapid Molecular Test) when you scheduled it?  Thanks!

"PCR/NAAT" is what it said on the appointment site.

Edit: Sorry, that's what the CVS appointment site says. Here's what Walgreens says:

image.png.1419beaa2bbb4db0c0fc98b1cd665637.png

But I don't think Bermuda will care about that. They will care about what the results say and the results have the text I quoted in my previous post.

Edited by JamieLogical

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Here is the PDF of my Walgreens results from a couple of weeks ago. Nothing I blacked out was pertinent information:

Capture.PNG

Thanks.  I would interpret that to mean they used both PCR *and* TMA tests on the samples, so it should be accepted.  But I’m not Bermuda. 😁🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, psac said:

Thanks.  I would interpret that to mean they used both PCR *and* TMA tests on the samples, so it should be accepted.  But I’m not Bermuda. 😁🤷‍♂️

I agree that is a reasonable interpretation. Hopefully my CVS results will be more clear.

• Like 2

Just heard back from my insurance company (BC/BS).  They do not cover covid testing for travel.  Now I am worried that if I take tests at CVS or Walgreens and insurance doesn't pay, will I be charged by them.  And stupid me, now they have a record of my inquiry so I cannot claim feeling ill.