Bermuda cruises- Info and questions

goldmom

7 hours ago, ottoflash said:

If we don't plan on getting off the ship while it is docked in Bermuda,  do we have to worry about all this testing stuff?

Yes you still have to be tested and comply with all of their laws and procedures. You're in Bermuda as soon as the ship enters its territorial waters. It doesn't matter whether you get off the ship.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Just heard back from my insurance company (BC/BS).  They do not cover covid testing for travel.  Now I am worried that if I take tests at CVS or Walgreens and insurance doesn't pay, will I be charged by them.  And stupid me, now they have a record of my inquiry so I cannot claim feeling ill.

depending on your state, the state might be offering free testing. at the test site do not show the insurance card

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Just heard back from my insurance company (BC/BS).  They do not cover covid testing for travel.  Now I am worried that if I take tests at CVS or Walgreens and insurance doesn't pay, will I be charged by them.  And stupid me, now they have a record of my inquiry so I cannot claim feeling ill.

Tests at CVS and Walgreens are free if you don't have insurance, so I do not believe you will be charged. They just charge insurance companies if/when they can. And as for not being able to claim you are feeling ill (which I never recommend lying), you literally have a chance of catching COVID every single day. You may not feel ill today, but you could tomorrow. Or you could get notice you have been in contact with someone who tested positive. I don't think one phone call on one day would impact your ability to get a test in the future.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ottoflash said:

If we don't plan on getting off the ship while it is docked in Bermuda,  do we have to worry about all this testing stuff?

Crystal is not letting passengers board without an approved travel authorization and Bermuda isn't letting any passengers off until ALL passengers have been tested on board upon arrival.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Just saw that someone on the Crystal board had their PCR test for the TA at CVS.  So it would appear that the tests from CVS are acceptable.  Assuming that all CVS's use the same test.

Be careful with CVS and triple triple check your location to make sure they do the PCR test. All of the CVS in my neighborhood is only Antigen test. There is only one CVS outside my neighborhood that is doing PCR test and is a cvs with a drive thru location that require a car. this location does not accept walk in

Edited by shof515

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Be careful with CVS and triple triple check your location to make sure they do the PCR test. All of the CVS in my neighborhood is only Antigen test. There is only one CVS outside my neighborhood that is doing PCR test and is a cvs with a drive thru location that require a car. this location does not accept walk in

Good to know.  Thanks for the heads up!  Sharing information here is really helpful.

I just signed up for a CVS test for tomorrow (I was in NYC for 3 days, took Amtrak, went to 2 concerts (had to provide vaccine proof and I double masked at both).

I am taking the non-rapid test; I put reasons were possible exposure to others, travel, and return to work.

These are all true- if I had checked no on everything then insurance wouldn't cover per CVS's site.

I am doing a drive through.

Now, what frustrated me was on Amtrak when I was leaving someone wasn't wearing a mask nor their kids, they don't enforce it 100% in the new train hall.

Had I been taking train for a cruise- I would have been extremely frustrated and agitated.

I almost think next time I cruise (likely 23 and now from NYC) I would probably need a direct ride to the port to minimize exposure %.

• Like 1

I just bought a 10 pack of N95 masks to try to give myself a little more protection in the days leading up to my cruise. Our plan is to isolate/quarantine as much as possible the week before our first test (and the days before the cruise) and wear N95s whenever we *have* to go out. Luckily, we are driving to the cruise, so don't have to worry about exposure on planes/trains. But I do have to be back in the office five days a week starting 9/7 and we will be staying in a hotel the night before the cruise. So we want to protect ourselves as much as we possibly can in those environments.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Marygracie C. said:

not sure if cvs test will please Bermuda.My next step is printing what Bermuda wants and bringing to CVS and Quest lab.

Looks like the CVS test is antigen so would not work for Bermuda, but it will be good for NCL. Here i the link to get it for NCL.

https://www. cvs .***/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing

do not use spaces and the *** is com. would not post otherwise

Edited by knitlady037

1 hour ago, knitlady037 said:

Looks like the CVS test is antigen so would not work for Bermuda, but it will be good for NCL. Here i the link to get it for NCL.

https://www. cvs .***/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing

I have been researching this also.  Some CVS locations do offer a PCR test but they call it a PCR/NAAT so I don't know if that's acceptable for Bermuda. Just as some Walgreen's do PCR and just lists their test as PCR but neither will guarantee test results in the 24-36 hour window.

The search continues

1 hour ago, knitlady037 said:

As has already been noted on this thread CVS offers different  tests at different locations. 

3 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I have been researching this also.  Some CVS locations do offer a PCR test but they call it a PCR/NAAT so I don't know if that's acceptable for Bermuda. Just as some Walgreen's do PCR and just lists their test as PCR but neither will guarantee test results in the 24-36 hour window.

The search continues

PCR/NAAT is the correct test. Don't get too tangled up in the various ways PCR tests are listed. If it says PCR, RT-PCR or PCR/NAAT it's the  test you need for Bermuda. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, psac said:

I would interpret that to mean they used both PCR *and* TMA tests on the samples, so it should be accepted.

I read it to say that they use NAAT and that PCR and TMA are examples of NAAT, but they aren't saying what they used. I don't think they're saying that they necessarily used either PCR or TMA, since there are other forms of NAAT. Bermuda accepts only PCR and I wouldn't submit anything that wasn't 100% definite about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I just bought a 10 pack of N95 masks to try to give myself a little more protection in the days leading up to my cruise. Our plan is to isolate/quarantine as much as possible the week before our first test (and the days before the cruise) and wear N95s whenever we *have* to go out. Luckily, we are driving to the cruise, so don't have to worry about exposure on planes/trains. But I do have to be back in the office five days a week starting 9/7 and we will be staying in a hotel the night before the cruise. So we want to protect ourselves as much as we possibly can in those environments.

My plan as well. Ordinarily I would stay in a hotel in NJ for a cruise from the Manhattan terminal, but this time I might drive directly to the terminal and park there. It's about 4.5 hours for me on a Sunday.

I did some further digging in our Bermuda Government Travel Authorization ... and came across THIS ...

COVID-19 Testing (azova.com)

I sure hope this will help you ....

Please let me know.

This link came from this page: Travel Testing Frequently Asked Questions | Government of Bermuda (www.gov.bm)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

What number are you using as the guest registration ID.  It does not use my reservation number of latitudes and I could not find any other number on my reservation

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I did some further digging in our Bermuda Government Travel Authorization ... and came across THIS ...

Please let me know.

This link came from this page: Travel Testing Frequently Asked Questions | Government of Bermuda (www.gov.bm)

That’s an interesting option if the Walgreens PCR results aren’t taken…

8 hours ago, goldmom said:

The search continues

I don't know where in NJ you live, but we are in central jersey and drove about an hour and a half to a lab in Malvern PA (west of Philly, called Test Now andGo which promised results within 24 hours but we got them in about 12. We were going on a Viking Ocean cruise in Bermuda and the results were accepted no problem by Bermuda. We will be using the same lab again for our upcoming Crystal Cruise from NYC to Bermuda.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Please let me know.

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, surfcitygirl said:

I don't know where in NJ you live, but we are in central jersey and drove about an hour and a half to a lab in Malvern PA (west of Philly, called Test Now andGo which promised results within 24 hours but we got them in about 12. We were going on a Viking Ocean cruise in Bermuda and the results were accepted no problem by Bermuda. We will be using the same lab again for our upcoming Crystal Cruise from NYC to Bermuda.

Thank you!  I appreciate the help.  I think I saw them listed when I did a search for Rapid PCR tests, but I'm in Northern Jersey around 20 minutes from the NYC pier (which is great on embarkation day!).  I think I have finally found 2 places about 35 minutes from me where I can get the rapid tests.  I just want to verify the cost and that they meet the Bermuda criteria.

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I'll keep it in mind if the other ones don't pan out!

23 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

Did NCL send you this link via e-mail for an upcoming cruise ? We are on the 9/26 sailing and haven't received any e-mails regarding registering for CVS test at the pier.