Passport

floridababa

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I changed my name in February 2020. Sent mine in for a renewal a week before everything shut down. Took months and months to get it back. Luckily, there was no need for a passport in 2020 …

Did you change your name because you are under some Federal Witness Protection Program??? If so, don’t post your original name!!

I had to change my name a few times, not because of that, but because of a few ‘misunderstandings’ that, shall we say, I needed to step away from.

den/ben/Jim/Flynn/Glenn/…..

• Haha 1

Just found out that our request to expedite after the fact was approved and our credit card was charged last night. Hopefully we'll have the new passports well before our October cruise.  Now to figure out the change to the testing requirements. Guess we'll change our flights and go one day early, not 2.  Sometimes I wonder if a 7 night cruise is worth it.

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Did you change your name because you are under some Federal Witness Protection Program??? If so, don’t post your original name!!

I had to change my name a few times, not because of that, but because of a few ‘misunderstandings’ that, shall we say, I needed to step away from.

den/ben/Jim/Flynn/Glenn/…..

Wow- BIG jump there. 

Marriage is a very common reason; historically

a woman, but not always now.

14 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I mailed my wife’s passport for renewal on Jul 19. We received it back in 4 weeks with expedited service. 

Did you get our old passport back? If so how long after you got the passport? Still waiting for mine.

11 hours ago, sasset said:

Did you get our old passport back? If so how long after you got the passport? Still waiting for mine.

In my case (last February) it was 3 days later. They are sent from different State Department facilities.  The new passport was processed and mailed from Tuscon; the old passport (originally mailed to Texas) was returned from a facility in New Orleans.

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

In my case (last February) it was 3 days later. They are sent from different State Department facilities.  The new passport was processed and mailed from Tuscon; the old passport (originally mailed to Texas) was returned from a facility in New Orleans.

I guess there is no rhyme or reason about these different offices. Why wouldn't mine be processed in Tucson, where I live?! Glad you got your old passport returned in a timely manner. I received my new one back on 8-24-21, and still waiting for the old one. I read that if it is not received in 10 business days, to call  the state dept. That will put it to 9-8-21 to receive it by.  It is what it is 😬😉!!!

8 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

I guess there is no rhyme or reason about these different offices. Why wouldn't mine be processed in Tucson, where I live?!

I've read that there are two facilities that accept the renewal applications - Texas and Pennsylvania. Which one you originally submit the application and old passport to is dependent upon where you live.  From there the renewal applications are disbursed to a larger number of facilities that actually process new passports.  Disbursal of the applications is done based on each facility's workload.  I don't know if the old passports all go to New Orleans or if there are multiple facilities handling them too.

On 9/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, sasset said:

My wife did not receive her old passport back, yet.

14 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Just got an email that our passports were mailed today, express mail. 

Do you know if you have to do anything for your existing Global Entry if you get your passport renewed?

I got my answer already: https://www.swiftpassportservices.com/blog/update-global-entry-update-passport/

The answer is "yes" you have to go into the GE system and update your new passport number.

Edited by mahdnc

On 9/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I just want my new one. My old one is of no use to me.

I have kinda wondered why people care. Don't they eventually get it back? Is there some use for an expired one?

2 hours ago, clo said:

I have kinda wondered why people care. Don't they eventually get it back? Is there some use for an expired one?

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Maybe because they do more international travel than we do so have a lot of stamps they want to keep.

Collection of visa stamps is a good reason.   

Guy on the corner might offer cash for the old ones.  🙂

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Collection of visa stamps is a good reason.   

Guy on the corner might offer cash for the old ones.  🙂

Unexpired visas in the cancelled passport is the main reason I can think of.  When you re-visit a country where your visa is not yet outdated, you need to carry your current and expired US passports.