Retreat, Luminae and gluten free (coeliac) on Celebrity Silhouette

Dickuk

Hi all,

We are thinking of treating ourselves to a sky suite on the Silhouette and wondered how Luminae is for people with coeliac, who need gluten free? I know the main dining room has a key on the menu to show which items are gluten free, but wondered if Luminae is the same. Hoping someone has been on recently and can advise.

The food in Luminae looks amazing and I wouldn't want my wife to be told she couldn't have hardly any items on the menu !

Also, a seperate question, does the retreat deck on Silhouette have a hot tub? I saw the edge does but couldn't see one on the Silhouette.

Thanks 

Richard

Edited by Dickuk

I can’t give an answer re the coeliac food -sorry. I would imagine they can handle it. 

There is a hot tub in the Retreat area according to the deck plan. If you go to Celebritycruises website and menu on the left, click ships, Silhouette and on Deck 15 forward there is the tub.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dickuk said:

Hi all,

We are thinking of treating ourselves to a sky suite on the Silhouette and wondered how Luminae is for people with coeliac, who need gluten free? I know the main dining room has a key on the menu to show which items are gluten free, but wondered if Luminae is the same. Hoping someone has been on recently and can advise.

The food in Luminae looks amazing and I wouldn't want my wife to be told she couldn't have hardly any items on the menu !

Also, a seperate question, does the retreat deck on Silhouette have a hot tub? I saw the edge does but couldn't see one on the Silhouette.

Thanks 

Richard

There is a place on Your cruise where you can indicate dietary restrictions. If they are aware in advance they will ensure suitable options are available. 

• Like 1

Luminae will work with you. Luminae seems to try and keep you with the same servers. You should not have any problems. We have cruised with friends that have issues with certain foods In Luminae. It was never a problem. Check out this Luminae desert.

IMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.d889f0a7b6e05ae709f14460bac5aafa.jpg

• Like 2

We had issues on Celebrity Silhouette last week as my wife is Coeliac. Main dining was OKIsh but my wife had to order the day before and gluten free deserts were very poor.

However, gluten free deserts in Ocean View buffet at lunchtime were amazing but none were available in the evening in main dining and couldn’t be provided despite asking!

Can’t comment on your main question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Luminae will work with you. Luminae seems to try and keep you with the same servers. You should not have any problems. We have cruised with friends that have issues with certain foods In Luminae. It was never a problem. Check out this Luminae desert.

IMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.d889f0a7b6e05ae709f14460bac5aafa.jpg

Thanks, that looks amazing 🙂

9 hours ago, Roadracer2002 said:

We had issues on Celebrity Silhouette last week as my wife is Coeliac. Main dining was OKIsh but my wife had to order the day before and gluten free deserts were very poor.

However, gluten free deserts in Ocean View buffet at lunchtime were amazing but none were available in the evening in main dining and couldn’t be provided despite asking!

Can’t comment on your main question.

Thanks for your honest opinion and I am sorry that this was the case. I wouldn't want to spend all the extra for the Retreat and my wife gets little choice.... Its a tough one.

2 hours ago, Dickuk said:

Thanks for your honest opinion and I am sorry that this was the case. I wouldn't want to spend all the extra for the Retreat and my wife gets little choice.... Its a tough one.

I am Dairy Intolerant and inform the ship via a Special Needs form at booking.

This is useful for the ship, as they can then pre order Lactose Free milk.

I find MDR fine. The Maitre’D was especially helpful, as I was limited to certain vegetables only, as many are cooked with butter. She arranged for the masked potato to be done with oil rather than milk and butter. She also arranged for me to have a salad with my meal, due to the lack of vegetables.  
I was supplied with a different sweet every night, although sometimes they were ones that had been served at the Ocean View cafe at lunch time.

2A551C6D-57C9-4975-ABD1-FFD23D554D5F.jpeg

4821BFBC-EFEA-43BE-A02C-3F6B5FF9FDF7.jpeg

E8A6D605-F100-4C87-BACA-09EA6EFA3985.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dickuk said:

I wouldn't want to spend all the extra for the Retreat and my wife gets little choice.... Its a tough one.

While cruising in general, I've seen many people with specific dietary needs who were prepared to work with the F&B team and were very happy with the results.

I've seen others who were not prepared to be flexible and work with the team who were less happy.

Its not so very different with people who have no particular needs, but have particular expectations which they don't share in advance and so end up unhappy  🙂 

The best results seem to come from checking the following day's menu and discussing with the team which options can be prepared gluten-free. If that is not something you wish to do then the result is likely to be 'little choice'.

We are still a long way from there being a full daily menu of gluten-free options prepared just in case they are needed, but Celebrity does take this sort of thing seriously. On a galley tour I've seen the precautions they take to ensure the safe preparation of gluten-free food, you just have to be prepared to do some advance planning each day and all should be fine.

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

While cruising in general, I've seen many people with specific dietary needs who were prepared to work with the F&B team and were very happy with the results.

I've seen others who were not prepared to be flexible and work with the team who were less happy.

Its not so very different with people who have no particular needs, but have particular expectations which they don't share in advance and so end up unhappy  🙂 

The best results seem to come from checking the following day's menu and discussing with the team which options can be prepared gluten-free. If that is not something you wish to do then the result is likely to be 'little choice'.

We are still a long way from there being a full daily menu of gluten-free options prepared just in case they are needed, but Celebrity does take this sort of thing seriously. On a galley tour I've seen the precautions they take to ensure the safe preparation of gluten-free food, you just have to be prepared to do some advance planning each day and all should be fine.

Thanks Mark, yes my wife is more than happy to choose a day ahead and appreciates all people do to keep her safe with her diet.

I think we will prob go for it and speak to them when 1st on board as well as advising the special needs team before too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dickuk said:

Thanks Mark, yes my wife is more than happy to choose a day ahead and appreciates all people do to keep her safe with her diet.

I think we will prob go for it and speak to them when 1st on board as well as advising the special needs team before too.

If you decide to book a speciality restaurant make sure you let them know too about her needs. They will be able to advise items on the menu she can have and will also be willing to modify dishes.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update for anyone else who may be looking for gluten free or coeliac options. 

We have been onboard almost a week now in the retreat and had an excellent time. All the staff are amazing and we ate mainly in Luminae (it's so good), but also in the buffet, qsine and the porch.

We haven't had to pre order any meals ahead of time and the staff have all known what's in all items on the menu but have also checked with the chef for my wife to ensure the dishes are gluten free. Most items have been either modified slightly or are gluten free already. 

They made fresh French fries in Luminae in a separate fryer which is great as the ones in the buffet are fried with other bread items. 

The buffet offered to make a gluten free pizza too but there was so much on offer we didn't need this. The chef in the buffet went round all the stations with us each time we went there and showed us what was suitable. The prime rib was sensational. 

Overall I cannot praise the staff enough, they have all gone above and beyond to help us and ensure my wife is safe. Thanks to all of them ❤️

If anyone has nay questions about gluten free, please feel free to ask. 

Thanks 

Richard 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Dickuk said:

A quick update for anyone else who may be looking for gluten free or coeliac options. 

We have been onboard almost a week now in the retreat and had an excellent time. All the staff are amazing and we ate mainly in Luminae (it's so good), but also in the buffet, qsine and the porch.

We haven't had to pre order any meals ahead of time and the staff have all known what's in all items on the menu but have also checked with the chef for my wife to ensure the dishes are gluten free. Most items have been either modified slightly or are gluten free already. 

They made fresh French fries in Luminae in a separate fryer which is great as the ones in the buffet are fried with other bread items. 

The buffet offered to make a gluten free pizza too but there was so much on offer we didn't need this. The chef in the buffet went round all the stations with us each time we went there and showed us what was suitable. The prime rib was sensational. 

Overall I cannot praise the staff enough, they have all gone above and beyond to help us and ensure my wife is safe. Thanks to all of them ❤️

Thanks 

Richard 

This is the result we were all expecting from Celebrity, I think. Thanks so much for sharing a great outcome!

• Like 1

You should have no problem.  Just let them know pre-cruise and each night the Asst. Manager will come by with tomorrow's menu and work with you on what you want or can eat.   They will ALWAYS ask you on the first night if you have any allergies or special dietary requirements. 

For the port days when Luminae is closed for lunch they often have a Gluten Fee Station as well as Gluten Free breads and pizza.    If you don't see something just ask and they will work with you.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dickuk said:

Thanks 

Richard 

Great feedback for anyone with any dietary need...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2021 at 10:18 AM, Dickuk said:

Thanks 

Richard 

Thank you for sharing your information. We have sailed lots on RCL with no issues for my diet (also Celiac), but are new to Celebrity and will on the Apex next week in a Sky Suite. I am so looking forward to the food!