Does NCL Re-test?

JamieLogical

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Correct. You are to test on Wednesday and Bermuda has stated they deadline for submitting your completed application is Saturday at 2:00pm. I personally hope to have my results and compete my application by the end of day on Friday in order to allow more time, as Bermuda also states it can take up to 24 hours to process your application. My scheduled arrival time at the terminal is 9:30am on Sunday, so I think I would be cutting it WAY too close if I submitted my application anytime on Saturday.

Thanks for getting back with me Jamie.   We live in Mays Landing NJ.... I am overwhelmed with all of this.  Our check in time is 12-12:30.... that's another worry TRAFFIC AND MY HUSBANDS DRIVING (LOL).  I don't believe we will have to wear fast mask onboard.  After all this testing the Breakaway and Bermuda should be the safest place on the planet.

1 minute ago, irishgirl666 said:

Thanks for getting back with me Jamie.   We live in Mays Landing NJ.... I am overwhelmed with all of this.  Our check in time is 12-12:30.... that's another worry TRAFFIC AND MY HUSBANDS DRIVING (LOL).  I don't believe we will have to wear fast mask onboard.  After all this testing the Breakaway and Bermuda should be the safest place on the planet.

As of right now, NCL is still not requiring masks onboard for any of it's sailings from the US. That can change at any moment, of course, as it has with other cruise lines.

I agree that I can't think of a safer place to be than on a ship that required 3+ COVID tests and all passengers/crew to be fully vaccinated. As it is, I am back on campus at the college where I work. Our vaccine mandate for students doesn't go into effect until the 27th, there is no vaccine mandate for faculty/staff, and despite requiring masks indoors, I would say at least 40% of the people I see in the hallways either aren't wearing masks or are wearing them below their noses. I live in constant fear of contracting COVID and testing positive before this cruise. I can't wait to get onboard and relax in a COVID-free utopia!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I proofread my comment before posting it and changed it to say that doctor's offices, etc. can ask about your PHI.

Actually, you said they can't, which is why I commented. 😉

(Also, HIPAA is really about disclosing, not asking.)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

Just came back from the Jade cruise where I was tested 4 times in total (two were prior to embarking).

The embarkation antigen test at the pier was a 1 second single swipe low in each nostril. Like so fast we were speculating if they were fudging the test to get more people on board 

The end of cruise antigen test was several firm circles in each nostril. The two tests we took prior to the cruise also required several seconds of circling the swab. 

There were rumors of several people in quarantine down on deck 4 but they never made any announcement about positive cases. 

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Actually, you said they can't, which is why I commented. 😉

(Also, HIPAA is really about disclosing, not asking.)

Thanks for the clarification, I’ll have to re-read the text, but my larger point is twofold: 1, it’s HIPAA not HIPPA, 2, it doesn’t apply to cruise lines which is the topic at hand. 😊 

5 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Just came back from the Jade cruise where I was tested 4 times in total (two were prior to embarking).

The embarkation antigen test at the pier was a 1 second single swipe low in each nostril. Like so fast we were speculating if they were fudging the test to get more people on board 

The end of cruise antigen test was several firm circles in each nostril. The two tests we took prior to the cruise also required several seconds of circling the swab. 

There were rumors of several people in quarantine down on deck 4 but they never made any announcement about positive cases. 

Thank you for this  report from  a European cruise. Hope you had a fantastic time.

Edited by milolii
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

First of all, it's HIPAA.  And HIPAA doesn't apply to specific diseases, it applies to individuals' health information and governs the disclosure thereof by covered entities, not the entire world.  As with so much these days, there has been gross misinformation spread on social media about what HIPAA requires and prohibits.  HIPAA is not a general medical privacy law, and nothing in HIPAA prohibits a retail business from asking its customers if they are vaccinated, etc.  

HIPAA (SORRY, I AM HUMAN AND MAKE TYPOS and just followed suite). I just don't think it is anybody's business whether I have a vaccine for anything. And whether I am vaccinated or not is my business to share not yours to ask. It is my opinion, not the law. It has been years since I had to worry about someone's privacy for healthcare so I am not well educated any longer but was told by someone at work who happens to be HR that she didn't have to tell me why she was out due to HIPAA and I took her word. Wish I had known better at the time. 🙂 Thanks for being so gentlemanly and correcting me. 

I was on the Jade a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints or cautionary tales to pass along. We felt safe and masks, hand sanitizer, distancing was evident. Obviously travel at this time comes with uncertainty, but I felt safer taking that trip than going to our local Walmart. We tested three times (once at home before getting on plane for peace of mind) and the other two tests Norwegian required. The Norwegian test was unlike others I'd had and felt like a light brushing of the nostrils. Not sure if that's good or bad.  If you're brave enough to travel at this time, it can really pay off. Have your double vaccinated card and negative test results paperwork at the ready and by all appearances, in paper form and not on your phone/device. The scene at the airport was sobering--so many people not having what they needed to go where they were trying to go. I don't know who I felt more sorry for--the frustrated traveler or the attendant delivering the bad news about changing protocols for different parts of the world. So in sum, have documentation of a negative COVID test that's good for 72 hours and your double vax card on hand at all times and you should be good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KAYKAY121 said:

And whether I am vaccinated or not is my business to share not yours to ask. It is my opinion, not the law...

but was told by someone at work who happens to be HR that she didn't have to tell me why she was out due to HIPAA and I took her word. Wish I had known better at the time. 🙂 Thanks for being so gentlemanly and correcting me. 

you have an absolute right to determine if you want to share your vaccine status or not. you are 100% free to not tell anyone ever. The downside to that is that private companies (like NCL) is also free to make rules to not allow you on board. They will ask, and you are 100% free to not disclose your status. They will then stop you from boarding and that also is 100% legit.

Regarding the HR person , that's sorta a grey area. As an HR person , she is not allowed to disclose anyone's medical reasons for anything. that would be a HIPAA violation on the part of HR. Having said that, she would not be breaking ANY HIPAA rules if she disclosed her own medical situation. you cant break HIPAA rules when you are telling others your own medical situation

Example - HR rep Karen tells you Joe has cancer. that is a HIPAA violation

HR rep Karen tells you that she has cancer. that is NOT a HIPAA       violation

Edited by hftmrock
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you referring to a non US sailing?

I think this is for all US sailings.

• NCL mandates all passengers have had the covid vaccine (double vax card)
  • Having the negative Covid test in your hand taken within 72 hours will allow them to retest you if you get a positive covid result at the pier

6 minutes ago, maggieq said:

For ncl cruises, even if vaccinated, you have to test pre cruise and show proof of results then again at the cruise port?  Thanks!

Only to be eligible for NCL to cover travel/quarantine expenses if you test positive at the pier. Currently, their policy is that you are only entitled to that assistance if you have had a negative COVID test within 72 hours of your travel date.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Only to be eligible for NCL to cover travel/quarantine expenses if you test positive at the pier. Currently, their policy is that you are only entitled to that assistance if you have had a negative COVID test within 72 hours of your travel date.

Thank you!  Just to clarify as perhaps I didn’t state my question correctly.  Test 72 hours before cruise and then test again before boarding?

12 hours ago, hftmrock said:

Having the negative Covid test in your hand taken within 72 hours will allow them to retest you if you get a positive covid result at the pier

Are you suggesting that if you didn't test prior to port arrival that they won't repeat their on-site rapid test if somebody tests postive?

Edited by ChiefMateJRK