medical conditions....cancer

My husband has stage 4 cancer, and we are trying to live life to the fullest.  He has a hard time eating meals, and has to have supplemental drinks such as high calorie boost, to maintain his weight.  He is down 60 pounds in half a year and not in a good way.  Sometimes, he can't keep the food down.  So my question is, can we take those drinks on board and though he is not able to keep food down always, would it be best to get his oncologist to write up about the possibility of him vomiting.  We don't want to get people alarmed thinking he has some kind of virus...he always makes it to a bathroom, btw, and this only happens when he eats.  

• Like 1

I echo reaching out to the Special Needs Dept.  They have a ‘form’ online that can be filled out, then someone will reach out to you:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

The form mentions Ensure and ‘other dietary needs’, so it is possible they can provide the drinks he needs.

I hope you are able to work things out to take the trip, and you both have a truly wonderful time. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 3

Thank you all for your replies...this has been rough, we've been married only 2 years, and we are in our 60s., but I want his remaining years to be the best he has ever had.  Thank you all for the well wishes.  We are living it up, within reason, but as the saying goes, "Life is too short."

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I take Boost onboard with me, but only one a day and put it in my luggage.  It sounds like you will have a larger quantity.  As others have mentioned, contact Special Needs and they will be able to assist.  This includes if you have medication that needs to be kept colder than the room cooler.

Enjoy your cruise and the time you have together.  :classic_smile:

• Like 2

You been given good advice about contacting special needs for his dietary needs.  As a stage 4 cancer survivor myself my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.  My words of advice are live life to the fullest, savor every moment and never give up the fight.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, WVHillbilly said:

You been given good advice about contacting special needs for his dietary needs.  As a stage 4 cancer survivor myself my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.  My words of advice are live life to the fullest, savor every moment and never give up the fight.

Great words of advice, keep fighting the fight!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

Thank you all for your replies...this has been rough, we've been married only 2 years, and we are in our 60s., but I want his remaining years to be the best he has ever had.  Thank you all for the well wishes.  We are living it up, within reason, but as the saying goes, "Life is too short."

Go for it and live life to the fullest.  God speed!

• Like 1

I am sure they will allow whatever suppliments he requires, but I can tell you what will happen if he regurgitates in public spaces like the MDR.  It happened to a cruise bud of mine a couple years ago, way before CV19.  Her tummy was just upset, but she used her napkin and went to powder room and threw it away, when she came back to the table they had sent a whole team in full hazmat to clean and make sure the area was uncontaminated...so expect a big to do if it happens.  She was so embarrassed we all left before finishing the meal.  I would certainly inquire with RCCL's Special Needs if I were you.  They can maybe assign you a table out of the way so he would not be embarrassed should it happen.

Oops, didn't see all the info about special needs...

Edited by BecciBoo

Hi, as others have mentioned contact the Special Needs Department.

My son does not eat at all, he is peg fed, and we have never had an issue taking his food onboard with us. We carry the food onboard ourselves in it's original box. (each box contains 8 1litre bottles of food and my son needs 1 bottle of food a day).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I am sure they will allow whatever suppliments he requires, but I can tell you what will happen if he regurgitates in public spaces like the MDR.  It happened to a cruise bud of mine a couple years ago, way before CV19.  Her tummy was just upset, but she used her napkin and went to powder room and threw it away, when she came back to the table they had sent a whole team in full hazmat to clean and make sure the area was uncontaminated...so expect a big to do if it happens.  She was so embarrassed we all left before finishing the meal.  I would certainly inquire with RCCL's Special Needs if I were you.  They can maybe assign you a table out of the way so he would not be embarrassed should it happen.

Oops, didn't see all the info about special needs...

Asking for a table kind of tucked is a good idea.  When he has a hard time,, which is about 50% of thee time, he has uncontrollable hic-ups and is in pain, but then usually, he excuses himself to the bathroom and is able to finish some of his meal.  I guess I would ask for a table close to a bathroom, and guess they are all outside the main dining room, that is actually something we need to consider.  

That must have been hard for your friend.  I guess we are beyond embarrassment, as we just can't stay at home and not live life, but we would absolutely hate having to have that happen and make a scene.  Thank you for your advice.

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention a powdered "toddler formula" which is not really a formula and is much cheaper than the actual formula. We fed it to our kiddo for a while.

It's Nestle's Nido Kinder 1+, which is basically a powdered milk with probiotics, vitamins, honey, minerals, etc. It's delicious, and easier to transport since it's in powder form. I've compared it to Pediasure years ago and they were practically identical, except for the price and the powder/fluid form. Perhaps, it's something that works for your DH for traveling.Nestle NIDO Kinder 1+ Toddler Milk Beverage - 56.3oz - image 3 of 10

It's sold in regular stores, usually either in the baby aisle or an international food aisle. Sam's club has the biggest tubs, but you could always start with a small can from a regular store to see if your DH likes it and whether it works for him.

Nestle also makes the kind for  kids 3-5 years of age, but I've never seen it in stores locally. Sold on Amazon, though.

81PWwgzRdjL._SL1500_.jpg

Wishing him all the best!

• Thanks 1

I’m so glad you’ve decided to travel and enjoy your time together.  

Besides special needs I’d also suggest you take on board with you a signed note from his doctor saying he’s cleared to travel.  I had recent stage 4 but am now in complete remission thanks to the miracle of immunotherapy.  I am still in treatment every 3 weeks.  With this note I was able to get travel insurance for my pre existing condition.  If anything happens while I’m gone it should be covered and Royal can’t say they don’t want me to go because I’m at higher risk of covid. ( Which my oncologist doesn’t feel I am.). 

I wish you all the best!  

• Like 5

On my Mom's bucket list (last) cruise, they allowed us to order off the Dining Room menu a few nights she didn't feel up to eating in the Main Dining Room.  It was delivered along with Salt/Pepper, a Basket of Rolls, Butter.... basically everything off a table in the Main Dining Room.  They also asked if they could make her any special, that might be easier on her to digest.

• Like 6