COVID testing at MIA

I would say no because they are asking for tests 2 days prior.  If done 2 days prior I don't see why they would not accept it.

Weird thing is at the RCCL Dock in MIAMI last week they had a mobile COVID-19 test site set up in same area. I took a photo just in case anyone wanted to call and see what the deal is. PXL_20210927_163424387.thumb.jpg.9fd55f1dc0106762531563c3c9bb655f.jpg

Edited by alexgtp
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

I would say no because they are asking for tests 2 days prior.  If done 2 days prior I don't see why they would not accept it.

Weird thing is at the RCCL Dock in MIAMI last week they had a mobile COVID-19 test site set up in same area. I took a photo just in case anyone wanted to call and see what the deal is. PXL_20210927_163424387.thumb.jpg.9fd55f1dc0106762531563c3c9bb655f.jpg

They specifically say "taken no more than 2 days before boarding day."  So you can also take the test Day 1 and day 0(except kids, they specifically say NOT to get the test the day of boarding).

• Like 1

Just now, sabres431 said:

They specifically say "taken no more than 2 days before boarding day."  So you can also take the test Day 1 and day 0(except kids, they specifically say NOT to get the test the day of boarding).

Sailing on a Saturday, testing on Thursday.

• Like 1

Just now, sabres431 said:

Or Friday or Saturday....not Wednesday or before

Correct. We figured easy enough to test at the airport when we arrive on Thursday, then once we have our negative results (fingers crossed), we'll be able to enjoy our time in Miami pre-cruise worry free.

3 minutes ago, sabres431 said:

image.thumb.png.d4df1d7706d5aff02a43709f72d94084.png

This is great info, I always read this incorrectly. I thought is had to be 2 days (48 hours before), which to me made no sense.

So pretty much, no earlier that 2 days before.

Day 2, 1 , 0 are all fair game. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 2

Why would you pay $79 - $179 per test when you could do BinaxNOW for $30 - $35 each in your hotel room?

"both facilities, there is no age requirement but patients under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Discounts for MIA employees who present an airport ID are available. Test costs range from $79 to $179."

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

Why would you pay $79 - $179 per test when you could do BinaxNOW for $30 - $35 each in your hotel room?

"both facilities, there is no age requirement but patients under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Discounts for MIA employees who present an airport ID are available. Test costs range from $79 to $179."

For the same reason some people are eager to pay $99 for the limited testing that is starting to be offered at the cruise terminal.  Some people don't want to put any effort or research into it and are willing to shell out for the convenience of not having to think about until they can walk past a sign on the way to the ship.

I've done a number of free tests at local pharmacies.  Just did one a few hours ago.  But for some people that is too much effort to research and figure it out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

For the same reason some people are eager to pay $99 for the limited testing that is starting to be offered at the cruise terminal.  Some people don't want to put any effort or research into it and are willing to shell out for the convenience of not having to think about until they can walk past a sign on the way to the ship.

I've done a number of free tests at local pharmacies.  Just did one a few hours ago.  But for some people that is too much effort to research and figure it out.

You make a lot of sense. 

I've never seen where the rapid tests are free, though.  That's why my son and I are buying BinaxNOW and sharing them with each other for our family's travel over the next several months.  We have a college student that needs 4:  Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Personally, I don't want to deal with the 2 day thing added to getting ready to travel.  It's easier for me to sit down within 48 hours before I sail, do the phone telehealth visit, and be done with it for $30.

• Like 2

Just now, pcur said:

You make a lot of sense. 

I've never seen where the rapid tests are free, though.  That's why my son and I are buying BinaxNOW and sharing them with each other for our family's travel over the next several months.  We have a college student that needs 4:  Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Personally, I don't want to deal with the 2 day thing added to getting ready to travel.  It's easier for me to sit down within 48 hours before I sail, do the phone telehealth visit, and be done with it for $30.

Here in Florida in my area Walgreens has the Rapid ID Now NAAT tests.  Results back sometimes before I can drive home from the pharmacy.  Where I am CVS only has PCR tests that take ~48 hours.

Closer to larger cities like Orlando CVS has rapid antigen tests. I imagine South Florida CVS probably have rapid test available but haven't looked.

All free though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Here in Florida in my area Walgreens has the Rapid ID Now NAAT tests.  Results back sometimes before I can drive home from the pharmacy.  Where I am CVS only has PCR tests that take ~48 hours.

Closer to larger cities like Orlando CVS has rapid antigen tests. I imagine South Florida CVS probably have rapid test available but haven't looked.

All free though. 

Northern CA the rapids are expensive (like MIA), and my HMO doesn't even do them at all.

2 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Yeah seen it posted on MIA Website that they have at least 2 Test areas. Even Medium size Airports have seen this over last 15 Months, most inside but more these Mobile Vans last few Months

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Done the research, completely aware of testing in hotel room. Just did a free test at Walgreens a week ago, so yeah, know about those too. Haven't traveled since January 2019. Willing to pay for the convenience of grabbing our suitcases at MIA, getting tested right there in baggage claim, and getting into the Uber to hotel knowing we're good to go and enjoy our time in Miami. 

• Like 3

Just make sure the testing facility hours fit your arrival at the airport.  One time hours at FLL worked for us, another didn't.  Note several sites at MIA that charge different fees and have different hours.  The one Celebrity uses (our next cruise) isn't open when our flight arrives there.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:24 PM, twangster said:

All free though. 

I got tested today too. What ship are you going on?  My husband and I will be on the Symphony. Let me know if you are her.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, jules815 said:

Done the research, completely aware of testing in hotel room. Just did a free test at Walgreens a week ago, so yeah, know about those too. Haven't traveled since January 2019. Willing to pay for the convenience of grabbing our suitcases at MIA, getting tested right there in baggage claim, and getting into the Uber to hotel knowing we're good to go and enjoy our time in Miami. 

I have not checked out the MIA test facility. I have walked by test facilities at other airports and there are always [long] lines. And since it takes a while to gather information and process each person, it is a slow process (i.e., the line does not move very fast). So, it may be convenient, but you may end up spending a while in line.