Don't order Abbott test far ahead!!!

Tatka

We already ordered and used tests for September cruise and it had Expiry date 10/05/2021

(produced on 02/08/21). Which was extended by 3 months.

Now we ordered more tests for our Thanksgiving & Christmas cruises.

New tests have earlier expiry date 09/21/2021 (produced on 01/25/2021). So they are extended only to 12/21/2021

They will be good for Thanksgiving, but one day too early for Christmas cruise 12/24/2021  😞

Not sure why they are sending older tests, but they do! So do not rush with ordering tests

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We already ordered and used tests for September cruise and it had Expiry date 10/05/2021

New tests have earlier expiry date 09/21/2021 (produced on 01/25/2021). So they are extended only to 12/21/2021

They will be good for Thanksgiving, but one day too early for Christmas cruise 12/24/2021  😞

Not sure why they are sending older tests, but they do! So do not rush with ordering tests

Were they ordered from Optum or Emed?

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

My understanding is that the extension is to one year after production, not three months after the old expiration date.  So your tests should be good until 1/25/2022.  

3 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

My understanding is that the extension is to one year after production, not three months after the old expiration date.  So your tests should be good until 1/25/2022.  

I thought so too, but I checked this document https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

Old and New Expiry dates (our LOT is 139520)

and it says image.png.447c213acf86a0655fd95b34c877c0d5.png

Edited by Tatka

43 minutes ago, Tatka said:

There's a lot of conflicting information out there.  I noticed that the letter above states that the shelf life is  "up to" 12 months.  While it is somewhat conflicting, it implies that it may be less than 12 months.

Here's another link which shows something very different:

https://www.co.madison.oh.us/Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid COVID19 Antigen At Home Test Kit FLYER.pdf

And here's a letter direct from the FDA which shows 12 months, no if's and's or but's. 

https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download

But your letter is direct from Abbott and it shows your lot number.  I wouldn't take a chance of using your kit past 12/21/2021.  I think Optum should send you new tests.  Contact them ASAP and explain your situation.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Thanks 1

These are the tests that Abbott stopped making this past summer because of slow sales.  They went so far as to destroy the partial test supplies that hadn't been assembled into kits yet because the warehouse was stocked full of them.  Months later delta hit.

They are not making these any more.  They are basically emptying the warehouse of the existing supplying.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  There is not another part of the warehouse with later dates , this is it.  

The White House announced money for new rapid tests but they have not announced that Abbott will be one the suppliers or that the other suppliers will produce proctored video tests.  Their target are inexpensive home tests that are ultra cheap so you will have a bunch of these in the closet right next to the toilet paper stockpile.  

Soon enough there will be no more of them.  It will simply state "Out of Stock" just like the eMed website for the 6 pack now says:

241671065_ScreenShot2021-10-13at7_48_58PM.thumb.jpg.0090acca11ee74332e7deddb4ba1296c.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ChristyLNDRN said:

Hmmmm….sailing on the Mariner 12/23.    Wanted to order these as a backup plan.  Would need to test on 12/21, which could potentially be the actual expiration date of the test kit.  Not sure if that would be ok or not.  

I’d wait. 

Placed mine last Thursday from the royal site (Optus).  They arrived Yesterday (Tuesday). The manufacturer date is January. The expiration date is 9/26/21. 

My cruise is 11/20. 

find it interesting that royal placed a note with their safety protocol but nothing about the expiration dates. I think they should be more direct about the expiration date and their extensions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristyLNDRN said:

Hmmmm….sailing on the Mariner 12/23.    Wanted to order these as a backup plan.  Would need to test on 12/21, which could potentially be the actual expiration date of the test kit.  Not sure if that would be ok or not.  

I wish our cruise was 12/23.

its 12/24…

Btw from what I remember from September there is about 3 hours difference between time we were tested and time test was registered. Maybe it’s time zone difference?

So maybe we can take this test really really late on 12/21 and will be registered on 12/22? 🙂 

This is if course if it will be difficult to obtain appointment or new home test 

PS. Cruises become such a difficult process even for well organized and experienced cruisers 

On 10/13/2021 at 3:11 PM, Tatka said:

Where did you find the expiration date?  I just received mine and I'm not able to identity any expiration date. Thank you.

19 hours ago, rmontanez said:

Placed mine last Thursday from the royal site (Optus).  They arrived Yesterday (Tuesday). The manufacturer date is January. The expiration date is 9/26/21. 

My cruise is 11/20. 

find it interesting that royal placed a note with their safety protocol but nothing about the expiration dates. I think they should be more direct about the expiration date and their extensions. 

Got mine yesterday also. You have to add 3 months to the original expiration  date. Mine originally expired 9/19/21, but the extra three months makes it valid until 12/19/21.

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, swdke said:

Where did you find the expiration date?  I just received mine and I'm not able to identity any expiration date. Thank you.

Bottom right corner one side of the box with sticker. Right below REF #. Add three months to it.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tatka said:

PS. Cruises become such a difficult process even for well organized and experienced cruisers 

Feel sorry for those cruisers who don't follow Cruise Critic. It has been so useful with all the 'hoops' that are required now. I would be so lost without the helpful information many share here.

• Like 2