Air Canada Announces portable Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit - meets testing requirements for entry to Canada!

ehyup71

I did just return from a Carnival 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise this past weekend and was successful in using the RT-LAMP online testing from Switch Health.  I have some concerns going in but it all worked out quite well.  My concerns were over internet reliability and strength of signal, how quickly we might access the online nurse, and how quickly the results were returned were all alleviated with a quick and negative result all done in short order.  My wife and I were able to have our testing done one after the other.  Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, Evilmuffin said:

@K_e_short   I went to the SDM at Kanata Signature Centre to see if I could “book” a test ahead of time.  I too am concerned with the availablity of tests once the border opens and it gets closer to Xmas.   They don’t make appointments, walk in only, from 10 am to 4 pm.   Not ideal when one only has a 48 hour period to get one, plus make it to the ship from Canada.   I can just imagine having to drive around to all the SDMs in the city looking for one.   They told me that the rules may change before then and the requirement for a test may be gone as one of the reasons for not taking appointments.   Whether or not the rules change for the US is irrelevant.   We are still going to need one for a cruise.   The more I think about it, I may just order one of these Air Canada testy things, just in case.  

Try Rexall - I was able to make appts for our travel to US antigen tests online for January 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kellk said:

I did just return from a Carnival 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise this past weekend and was successful in using the RT-LAMP online testing from Switch Health.  I have some concerns going in but it all worked out quite well.  My concerns were over internet reliability and strength of signal, how quickly we might access the online nurse, and how quickly the results were returned were all alleviated with a quick and negative result all done in short order.  My wife and I were able to have our testing done one after the other.  Happy to answer any questions.

Did you do the return test (RT-Lamp) on the ship?

• Like 3

On 11/16/2021 at 8:46 AM, kellk said:

Yes we did, two days before our return flight. 

Good to know. Curious if you were at sea, or did you do it when at port, so the wifi reception was better? I'm planning to bring the RT-Lamp with me in December, so any info around this woud be much appreciated. Also, did you use their home antigen test to fly into the US and use for the cruise? Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Edited by kwcruise
made an error
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, kwcruise said:

Good to know. Curious if you were at sea, or did you do it when at port, so the wifi reception was better? I'm planning to bring the RT-Lamp with me in December, so any info around this woud be much appreciated. Also, did you use their home antigen test to fly into the US and use for the cruise? Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Yes, we did it at sea. I was concerned about the Wi-Fi strength but it did end up working pretty well. We had the premium internet plan on a Carnival ship. That particular Wi-Fi otherwise wasn’t fantastic- I found RCCL’s much better- but as I said it worked fine for the online session with the Switch Health nurse. I was on my IPad. I did find the volume wasn’t fantastic but luckily there wasn’t a lot of background noise in our cabin at the time. We did the call in mid afternoon and our waiting time for the nurse was short- about 10 minutes even though we were I think about 9th in line at the initial time of the call. Watching the YouTube video of another traveler’s experience with the process ahead of time was helpful.

I did find that the Wi-Fi strength wasn’t strong enough however to do the final step of submitting our ArriveCAN forms online before arriving in port which caused some stress. Everything went through fine though once we arrived in Long Beach and I could switch to cellular signal. 

We used a local lab in Regina for our antigen test pre cruise. 

Edited by kellk

14 hours ago, kellk said:

Yes, we did it at sea. I was concerned about the Wi-Fi strength but it did end up working pretty well. We had the premium internet plan on a Carnival ship. That particular Wi-Fi otherwise wasn’t fantastic- I found RCCL’s much better- but as I said it worked fine for the online session with the Switch Health nurse. I was on my IPad. I did find the volume wasn’t fantastic but luckily there wasn’t a lot of background noise in our cabin at the time. We did the call in mid afternoon and our waiting time for the nurse was short- about 10 minutes even though we were I think about 9th in line at the initial time of the call. Watching the YouTube video of another traveler’s experience with the process ahead of time was helpful.

I did find that the Wi-Fi strength wasn’t strong enough however to do the final step of submitting our ArriveCAN forms online before arriving in port which caused some stress. Everything went through fine though once we arrived in Long Beach and I could switch to cellular signal. 

Thank you so much for this detailed answer. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, willing292 said:

unfortunately, switch health is now sold out of the tests!

There is a waiting list for the pcr test - I did get notification the other day that they were restocked - but now unfortunately sold out again.

I am hoping the return requirements changes (possibly to an antigen test) and did order a set of those - which we can use at home pre-cruise - or hopefully for post cruise teting to return to Canada if needed.

Edited by Froufie

5 hours ago, willing292 said:

unfortunately, switch health is now sold out of the tests!

Make sure you sign up to be notified when they are back in. I did that the first time they were sold out, and received notice that they were back in, and was able to order before they sold out again.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:32 PM, kellk said:

Did you and you wife have one account or separate accounts -vwonderinig if 2 can share one account and do the tests one after another on the same connection.  Thanks!

On 10/28/2021 at 12:56 AM, ehyup71 said:

So, Air Canada announced that you can order a Switch Health RT-LAMP Test Kit, a portable, self-administered test that can be completed from your home or accommodation around the world*—no need to send to a lab for processing. Get your result in about 45 minutes** with an official electronic report suitable for travel. This test is authorized for use by Health Canada and meets the testing requirements for entry into Canada.  You need an Aeroplan number to order (I already have one, but they are free to sign up for online) and the cost is $149

The RT-LAMP Test Kit is a molecular diagnostic test and does not require laboratory processing. It is a self-administered test observed via a telehealth experience. So you just need access to the internet, a laptop with a webcam, or your cell phone!

Hi Marsha;

Thanks for this info.  I went on the Air Canada site and will definitely order the Switch Health Test Kit.  We are leaving on Jan. 16 (cruise out of L.A.) and then fly into Vegas for 4 nights.  

The price of $149 CDN. is a considerable savings compared to an approx. $300 U.S.D. if we had to have it done while in the States.

Thanks, again.

Cheers,

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

12 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Hi Marsha;

Thanks for this info.  I went on the Air Canada site and will definitely order the Switch Health Test Kit.  We are leaving on Jan. 16 (cruise out of L.A.) and then fly into Vegas for 4 nights.  

The price of $149 CDN. is a considerable savings compared to an approx. $300 U.S.D. if we had to have it done while in the States.

Thanks, again.

Cheers,

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

they have been sold out for about a week now.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, netpj said:

Did you and you wife have one account or separate accounts -vwonderinig if 2 can share one account and do the tests one after another on the same connection.  Thanks!

We did the testing one after the other on the same call.  I'm sorry I can't remember the Switch Health registering process but I believe I had registered my wife in my account as well.

Can anyone confirm that the rapid antigen test is good to meet Carnivals requirements?   We are all organized for our return to Canada, but need to test to board  the ship.   We have no private testing facilities here on PEI so this kit will be ideal if it’s acceptable.  Thank you 

2 hours ago, Johnny60 said:

Can anyone confirm that the rapid antigen test is good to meet Carnivals requirements?   We are all organized for our return to Canada, but need to test to board  the ship.   We have no private testing facilities here on PEI so this kit will be ideal if it’s acceptable.  Thank you 

I don't know about Carnival specifically, but there have been posts by people that reported using the Aeroplan Switchealth antigen test when flying to the US for a cruise.

11 hours ago, Johnny60 said:

Are you sure that you can't get tested in PEI? This information from the PEI government's website (https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/health-and-wellness/covid-19-testing-in-pei)     seems to suggest otherwise:

How to get tested and receive a report of your test results before travel

You are responsible to know the requirements of your country of destination regarding COVID-19 test results. 

Request a report of your test result for travel as follows:

1. At least five (5) days prior to travel, complete the online form to Request your COVID-19 Test Results Report.
  2. Go to a drop-in testing site to get your COVID (PCR) test done based upon your countries destination requirement (ie. 72 hours).  
  3. Once test is completed and report is ready, QEH Health Records will email your results report as a PDF document.

Note: Requests submitted after noon on Friday will be reviewed on the next business day, either Monday or Tuesday following a holiday weekend.

If you need information, please contact 1-833-533-9333 (option 1),  or email COVIDtravel@gov.pe.ca(link sends e-mail).

12 hours ago, Johnny60 said:

If you go to   unitedcruises.cruisehelp.com   and click on Carnival, they have quite a detailed explanation of what is required to board the ship. The update was done 2 days ago and talks about the requirements being effective until March 31, 2022.   In short, They require either an antigen test or a PCR test done within 2 days of the cruise departure date.   Hope this helps.

27 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

If you go to   unitedcruises.cruisehelp.com   and click on Carnival, they have quite a detailed explanation of what is required to board the ship. The update was done 2 days ago and talks about the requirements being effective until March 31, 2022.   In short, They require either an antigen test or a PCR test done within 2 days of the cruise departure date.   Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's an interesting link. It must keep them busy updating the information.

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, that's an interesting link. It must keep them busy updating the information.

You’re welcome. I can’t imagine being the person to verify all the details…and it seems quite comprehensive.  I personally would still read the current policy of the cruise line in question..just to be sure.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I wouldn’t trust any intermediary to have the most up-to-date information. Where are they getting it from?

With rules and policies changing so frequently, I wouldn’t trust the intermediaries without double-checking the cruise lines’s policy as well. 

10 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

With rules and policies changing so frequently, I wouldn’t trust the intermediaries without double-checking the cruise lines’s policy as well. 

Truth be told, with rules and policies changing so quickly, some of the cruise lines are having difficulty keeping up with their own changes.

• Like 2