Electrical Question

Luvcrusn

We've sailed many times and always take an approved multiport USB charger that we leave plugged into one of the two American outlets at the desk to charge all of our devices. I was wondering if I could plug an adapter (not converter) into the European plug to be able to plug the multiport USB into that and free up the outlet. Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We've sailed many times and always take an approved multiport USB charger that we leave plugged into one of the two American outlets at the desk to charge all of our devices. I was wondering if I could plug an adapter (not converter) into the European plug to be able to plug the multiport USB into that and free up the outlet. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what ship you are on but my cabin on the Edge had 3 USB ports already. One by the bed and 2 on the desk. Don’t know if 3 is enough for your needs 

12 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I would think you could!

Look on your USB charger for the input voltage. It should say something like this:

INPUT VOLTAGE: 110-240v  ∼50/60Hz, 0.2A

Most equipment of this nature will run safely with both North American 110 volts and with European voltage up to 240. If your charger indicates 110-240v, then you will be safe using an adapter and not a converter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Look on your USB charger for the input voltage. It should say something like this:

INPUT VOLTAGE: 110-240v  ∼50/60Hz, 0.2A

Most equipment of this nature will run safely with both North American 110 volts and with European voltage up to 240. If your charger indicates 110-240v, then you will be safe using an adapter and not a converter.

Thanks! I checked and that's exactly what it says.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We have sailed S class and because there are 4 of us in the cabin, we always make use of the European outlet using an adapter.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We have sailed S class and because there are 4 of us in the cabin, we always make use of the European outlet using an adapter.

Us too, and there are only 2 of us. Sooo many devices, so few outlets, lol. As long as your device is dual voltage, you're good to go. But if it's NA voltage only ( like a regular hair dryer), make sure you plug it into the right outlet. 

The answer is maybe :).  If your multiport USB charger specifically says it can handle 220-240V then yes, you could plug it into the 220-240 V outlet with an adaptor.  But you need to make sure that the charger has that information or ugly things may happen :(.  I just looked at my own NtonPower charger/multi outlet and it is clearly labeled "USB Input 100-240V - 50-60Hz."  This is similar to what you should look for on your charger/outlet device. 

Hank

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I do it all the time.  I used an adapter with a fast charger a week ago to top off my phone quickly and left the rest of my stuff on the multi in the US outlet.  Could have reversed the process just as easily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The answer is maybe :).  If your multiport USB charger specifically says it can handle 220-240V then yes, you could plug it into the 220-240 V outlet with an adaptor.  But you need to make sure that the charger has that information or ugly things may happen :(.  I just looked at my own NtonPower charger/multi outlet and it is clearly labeled "USB Input 100-240V - 50-60Hz."  This is similar to what you should look for on your charger/outlet device. 

Hank

Thanks. I checked and that's precisely what mine says.

9 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks. I checked and that's precisely what mine says.

Then you are good to go just about anywhere in the world...as long as you have the proper adaptor.  Cruise ships generally have the European 220-240 Volt receptacle that needs a 2 round pin adaptor (very standard throughout Europe except in the UK where they do their own thing :).

Hank

17 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

We use this one. Plugs into the European outlet and you can also still use it for an American plug as well as three USB A and one USB C so I can charge my MacBookPro. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H31JNM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. We already have two multiport USB chargers, one is a 5 port and one is a 6 port and an adaptor that fits the European plug at the desk area, so we're good to go. Both are listed as 110-240 so no need for buying another. We also have USB-A and USB-C cords so we're good to charge everything...and then some lol.

PS, just checked the link out of curiosity and it says Item is currently out of stock and don't know when or if it will be back.

Edited by Luvcrusn