Cigarette smoke on your aft facing balcony from the new crew smoking ar

HaveDogWillTravel

If the crew smoking area is still on the Aft Promanade deck, does that mean you can no longer walk all the way around?  I think I remember reading not too long ago that that smoking area was removed.  We are on the Ruby for b2b Alaska in August in aft area mini suites on Emerald Deck (E722 &E726) so far enough away that we would probably not smell the smoke but I love my walks around the Promanade deck.

• 3 weeks later...

May 2022 Alaska crew smoking areas.

Looks like nothing has changed. 

Ruby Princess, Skagway. I was on the HAL Zuiderdam

I observed the same on the Majestic and Grand in Ketchikan 

P1010045.JPG

Edited by skidroe
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, marden1970 said:

If the crew smoking area is still on the Aft Promanade deck, does that mean you can no longer walk all the way around?  I think I remember reading not too long ago that that smoking area was removed.  We are on the Ruby for b2b Alaska in August in aft area mini suites on Emerald Deck (E722 &E726) so far enough away that we would probably not smell the smoke but I love my walks around the Promanade deck.

We walked around on the CB.  I held my breath.😞

16 hours ago, skidroe said:

P1010045.JPG

It was the same for us on the Emerald, except it was starboard side and we were in the corner aft on Baja. We had this lovely 9X9 balcony that had cigarette smoke wafting up to us. 

I just saw this thread. Smoking on the starboard side Promenade Deck on the Ruby Princess was definitely an issue for those guests with balconies in that area. We were in a Riviera Deck balcony almost at the back and even when the ship was at sea, we couldn’t be on our balcony without smelling smoke. It took me awhile to figure out the source, but there is no doubt it was coming all the way from the Promenade Deck on a ship sailing nearly full out to Hawaii. 

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I just saw this thread. Smoking on the starboard side Promenade Deck on the Ruby Princess was definitely an issue for those guests with balconies in that area. We were in a Riviera Deck balcony almost at the back and even when the ship was at sea, we couldn’t be on our balcony without smelling smoke. It took me awhile to figure out the source, but there is no doubt it was coming all the way from the Promenade Deck on a ship sailing nearly full out to Hawaii. 

What on earth is Princess thinking?   I don't get it.   Where did the crew smoke before?   Why can't they smoke in their previous location?    We are doubly screwed because we have an aft facing booked for Hawaii in November and the last cabin on deck 8 (E731) in 2 weeks.   Argh

45 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

What on earth is Princess thinking?   I don't get it.   Where did the crew smoke before?   Why can't they smoke in their previous location?    We are doubly screwed because we have an aft facing booked for Hawaii in November and the last cabin on deck 8 (E731) in 2 weeks.   Argh

It depends on the ship.  On CB it was not aft, in Feb and Mar.  Smoking for crew 

was on the starboard side towards the aft.  We always book the port side if we are near the aft section.  Most of the ships had crew smoking there and also up on a top deck near the aft.

So, check your ship.

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It depends on the ship.  On CB it was not aft, in Feb and Mar.  Smoking for crew 

was on the starboard side towards the aft.  We always book the port side if we are near the aft section.  Most of the ships had crew smoking there and also up on a top deck near the aft.

So, check your ship.

Unfortunately, we are on the Ruby.....

Just now, cruzin4us said:

Unfortunately, we are on the Ruby.....

Okay.  I hope they go back to their old smoking areas soon!  They said they changed the areas to keep so many crew from being so close together during covid.  Social distance them. 
Isn’t smoking aft port side in the pics?

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Okay.  I hope they go back to their old smoking areas soon!  They said they changed the areas to keep so many crew from being so close together during covid.  Social distance them. 
Isn’t smoking aft port side in the pics?

It varies on each ship. For the Emerald, it was starboard.

10 minutes ago, nini said:

It varies on each ship. For the Emerald, it was starboard.

Yes, true. I was referring to the Op, who says they are in the Ruby. 
Looked like port side and they are on the starboard E731.  They may be okay?

16 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We were in R747 on the Ruby Princess and smelled it when the ship was at sea (I wasn’t on the ship very long once it got to Hawaii but it was bound to be worse in port). 

and that's 6 decks higher than us!   My DH is going to flip.   I'm not going to tell him with hopes that all the crew decides to quite smoking in the next 2 weeks..(dreaming)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

and that's 6 decks higher than us!   My DH is going to flip.   I'm not going to tell him with hopes that all the crew decides to quite smoking in the next 2 weeks..(dreaming)

We never really noticed it on the Ruby and had aft cabins (but not aft facing) on the Caribe deck.  The crew lost their smoking area once CoVid restrictions were placed on their crew mess, crew bar, crew smoking areas.  We did notice it a couple of times with an aft facing cabin on the Grand, again on the Caribe deck.  It was only noticeable while we were in port, though.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We never really noticed it on the Ruby and had aft cabins (but not aft facing) on the Caribe deck.  The crew lost their smoking area once CoVid restrictions were placed on their crew mess, crew bar, crew smoking areas.  We did notice it a couple of times with an aft facing cabin on the Grand, again on the Caribe deck.  It was only noticeable while we were in port, though.  

Thank you, that's some good news!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:38 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, true. I was referring to the Op, who says they are in the Ruby. 
Looked like port side and they are on the starboard E731.  They may be okay?

I think that would be worse. It floats everywhere.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bronston

Sailing on Ruby Princess summer of 2023, aft Vista cabin.

Sometimes in life, you just can’t fix it all.

I am diagnosed with IPF, a rare fatal disease of the lungs. Cause unknown (idiopathic).

I also know that each persons carbon footprint on a ship is three times what it is on land. With the Ruby Princess using diesel/electric engines the emissions are still considerable. Kudos to Princess for continuously addressing this issue. However cruise ships are in the same predicament as cars……you just can’t transition to clean power in one day.

I also know the crew works extremely hard for their money and deserve even more. So if a cruise member wants a puff of a cigarette off the aft of the ship….I will be damned if I will say no to someone on another deck who is segregated from all the passengers while smoking.

Again, roll with the punch so to speak. Not everything in life is how you want it to be and no - money won’t change it either. 

So when your at the pool, or sitting in one of those nice restaurants…..remember those two Diesel engines on Ruby Princess…..ah, the smell of diesel in the evening is just like - the smell of napalm in the morning! (Couldn’t resist)

It can always be worse…..you could be taking out the garbage at home.

Relax and enjoy!

Edited by Bronston

2 minutes ago, Bronston said:

I am diagnosed with IPF, a rare fatal disease of the lungs. Cause unknown (idiopathic).

I also know that each persons carbon footprint is three times what it is on land. With the Ruby Princess using diesel/electric engines the emissions are still considerable. Kudos to Princess for continuously addressing this issue. However cruise ships are in the same predicament as cars……you just can’t transition to clean power in one day.

I also know the crew works extremely hard for their money and deserve even more. So if a cruise member wants a puff of a cigarette off the aft of the ship….I will be damned if I will say no to someone on another deck who is segregated from all the passengers while smoking.

Again, roll with the punch so to speak. Not everything in life is how you want it to be and no - money won’t change it either. 

So when your at the pool, or sitting in one of those nice restaurants…..remember those two Diesel engines on Ruby Princess…..ah, the smell of diesel in the evening is just like - the smell of napalm in the morning! (Couldn’t resist)

Relax and enjoy!

More people need to have the attitude that you have.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bronston said:

I also know that each persons carbon footprint on a ship is three times what it is on land. With the Ruby Princess using diesel/electric engines the emissions are still considerable. Kudos to Princess for continuously addressing this issue. However cruise ships are in the same predicament as cars……you just can’t transition to clean power in one day.

Relax and enjoy!

say ! what's your career ?  I can sure use you as my p r rep. for my business 🙂

• Like 1

Guest Bronston
2 hours ago, c-boy said:

say ! what's your career ?  I can sure use you as my p r rep. for my business 🙂

Career…….I am a student of life.

On 5/21/2022 at 1:32 PM, skidroe said:

P1010045.JPG

They could have at least given them some chairs or a bench or something.  Typical, there is nobody on the balconies in the picture, but plenty of complaints coming from posters on cruise critics!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

They could have at least given them some chairs or a bench or something.  Typical, there is nobody on the balconies in the picture, but plenty of complaints coming from posters on cruise critics!

That’s pretty funny. No one’s on their balconies because of the stench from that smoke. I pay a lot of money to use that balcony and I should not be denied that part of my cabin. This was never a problem pre Covid.  It is long past time the crew goes back to their pre Covid smoking areas. They are no longer socially distanced anywhere else on the ship or in their quarters. The crew bars are open and so on. 

Moreover, all passengers should be given access to the aft promenade for their exercise and/or leisure. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 4