Does Viking test on disembarkation day?

LisaDee

We are disembarking in Civitavecchia on a Wednesday and flying back to the US on Saturday.  Is Viking doing the PCR tests of passengers on the day of disembarkation?  If so that test would cover us for our return to the US, otherwise I have to find a way to get tested in Rome.

Thanks for any insight.

No they do not test on disembarkation day.  You get a letter the with the test results from the day before. Staying in Rome for three night , you should ask your hotel about getting tested before you  fly back to US . Check out the Rome airport also  . 

When we were in Barcelona for one night after our cruise, I did see signs for Testing at the Barcelona airport. But it will probably be expensive.

Thanks for the quick replies.  It's all so exhausting figuring out all the requirements from the countries we're entering and transiting.  For our pre-boarding requirement I'm sitting here calculating potential test times plus 72 hours, adjusting for the time change....comparing to boarding time...worrying about how long the results will take...where to print them out in Athens....ugh.  Plus our flights (via Viking Air) have changed numerous times (I think we're up to the 5th change).  

Honestly if it were just my husband and I we would probably cancel and use the voucher in the future when hopefully things aren't so complicated.  But it's a special celebration multi-generational trip with my kids and parents and I can't disappoint them.  The fact that there are 6 of us adds to the pressure to get things right and not mess it up for any of us.

I know once we're all on board it will be a fabulous time creating lifelong memories, I'm just stressing on all the administrative hurdles.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

Thanks for the quick replies.  It's all so exhausting figuring out all the requirements from the countries we're entering and transiting.  For our pre-boarding requirement I'm sitting here calculating potential test times plus 72 hours, adjusting for the time change....comparing to boarding time...worrying about how long the results will take...where to print them out in Athens....ugh.  Plus our flights (via Viking Air) have changed numerous times (I think we're up to the 5th change).  

Honestly if it were just my husband and I we would probably cancel and use the voucher in the future when hopefully things aren't so complicated.  But it's a special celebration multi-generational trip with my kids and parents and I can't disappoint them.  The fact that there are 6 of us adds to the pressure to get things right and not mess it up for any of us.

I know once we're all on board it will be a fabulous time creating lifelong memories, I'm just stressing on all the administrative hurdles.

We were recently on the Viking Sky.  We arranged to be tested on our disembarkation day and the results were emailed to us.  It was very effiicient.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

No testing on disembarkation day.  On our Iceland cruise this past summer, they even collected the tracking devices the night before at dinner.  Our test results to fly home were dated the day before disembarkation. 

Here's my test results horror story. Don't make the mistake we did.

We were on the Iceland sailing right after SantaFe1. We disembarked on the July 10 but flew home on the 12th. Our results needed to be from the July 9 test in order to board the plane home. While the letter reporting the results was dated July 9, the letter clearly stated that the results were from the July 8th test. Well, it was clear enough for the airline agent to see when we check in but my eyes missed it when, all too quickly, I checked the the letter. Only because I thought the page said the test was dated July 9 and because I kept insisting and insisting did we manage to talk our way onto the airplane.

We tried to call the ship to get them to e-mail the July 9 but the call would not go thru -- not from my cell phone and not from a land-line.

Another couple was not as lucky and had to leave the airport to get tested; they did not make it back in time to board the plane; they did not make their connection home and had the added expense of an overnight in the connecting city.

Bottom line: if you are not going from the ship to the airplane and you are depending on results from the on-board testing to get you on to the plane (test results are verified at airport check-in, not when you land in the US) make sure that you carefully check the date of the test, not the date the letter was issued. While you are still on the ship, you still have a chance to get a letter with the test from the day before disembarkation, if that is not already the test result that has been provided by in the letter that is delivered to your cabin.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 2

This is a question I had, too.  We're flying to London from Venice after our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in April.  I think we'll be all right for the flight to London because it's the day of disembarkation.  But we'll probably have to be tested in London.  Hopefully things will be easier by then.

Just got off the Iconic Med Cruise BCN to Rome.  Did 4 days 3 nights in Rome after the cruise.  There was a pharmacy right down the street from our Viking Hotel - Palazzo Naiadi in Rome.  Nice family run, took a rapid antigen test and got our negative test result right there.  Went back to the hotel and the  Concierge helped us print out the QR code from our email results which were in Italian for our flight back to the US.

FYI the Palazzo Naiadi was gorgeous!  Great buffet breakfast, great staff!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I’ll request a departure day test while onboard but will use the pharmacy option as a backup.  We’re staying in a VRBO in Rome so won’t have access to a concierge or printer, hopefully there’s a kinkos type place nearby.  I’m old school and prefer to carry paper copies of everything 😬

10 hours ago, LisaDee said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I’ll request a departure day test while onboard but will use the pharmacy option as a backup.  We’re staying in a VRBO in Rome so won’t have access to a concierge or printer, hopefully there’s a kinkos type place nearby.  I’m old school and prefer to carry paper copies of everything 😬

I agree about the paper copies!  Paper made it much easier on our trip vs having something on my phone.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:34 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Here's my test results horror story. Don't make the mistake we did.

We were on the Iceland sailing right after SantaFe1. We disembarked on the July 10 but flew home on the 12th. Our results needed to be from the July 9 test in order to board the plane home. While the letter reporting the results was dated July 9, the letter clearly stated that the results were from the July 8th test. Well, it was clear enough for the airline agent to see when we check in but my eyes missed it when, all too quickly, I checked the the letter. Only because I thought the page said the test was dated July 9 and because I kept insisting and insisting did we manage to talk our way onto the airplane.

We tried to call the ship to get them to e-mail the July 9 but the call would not go thru -- not from my cell phone and not from a land-line.

Another couple was not as lucky and had to leave the airport to get tested; they did not make it back in time to board the plane; they did not make their connection home and had the added expense of an overnight in the connecting city.

Bottom line: if you are not going from the ship to the airplane and you are depending on results from the on-board testing to get you on to the plane (test results are verified at airport check-in, not when you land in the US) make sure that you carefully check the date of the test, not the date the letter was issued. While you are still on the ship, you still have a chance to get a letter with the test from the day before disembarkation, if that is not already the test result that has been provided by in the letter that is delivered to your cabin.

The absolute nightmare situation. Glad you were sorted.

I'm still trying to work out dates for my upcoming cruise from FLL with a start on the 3 Jan. We fly from London on the morning of the 2nd Jan, so test needs to be done and results before that. New years day and New Years eve in between, doesn't inspire me with confidence!

We tested on our last cruise ship day.  We were on Viking Jupiter November 7-14. We had extensions on both sides of the cruise with Viking. Our last morning, we did our test as we did on every other day of the cruise. The Viking representative in our Barcelona hotel told us he was to drive to the ship to retrieve our test results. We had the printed results in hand the next day. They were accepted at the airport on 11/16 without incident. Hope this helps.

On 11/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, bbtondo said:

Just got off the Iconic Med Cruise BCN to Rome.  Did 4 days 3 nights in Rome after the cruise.  There was a pharmacy right down the street from our Viking Hotel - Palazzo Naiadi in Rome.  Nice family run, took a rapid antigen test and got our negative test result right there.  Went back to the hotel and the  Concierge helped us print out the QR code from our email results which were in Italian for our flight back to the US.

FYI the Palazzo Naiadi was gorgeous!  Great buffet breakfast, great staff!

I couldn't agree more! the Palazzo Naiadi was FABULOUS! I was very pleased. Our hotel in Barcelona that Viking chose, however, was not good at all. It was quite a stark contrast. In Viking's defense, I thing the hotel they usually use is currently closed.