Approximate temperature of Pearl Haven Pool? (and main pool?)

GeezerCouple

When we were on the Pearl, we didn't use the small pool in the Haven.  I should at least have checked out the temperature.

Does anyone know what the approximate temperature of that Haven pool is?  Is it the same all year?

And what about the main pool?

Thanks very much!

GC

Haven pools are always cool/cold. I am not aware of any of them being heated.  Being they are in enclosed areas with not much sun does not help much either.  But they are only plunge pools and that is the purpose of a plunge pool.  No swimming just dip in to cool off.

7 hours ago, bstel said:

since they are salt water, wouldn't they be approximately the same temp as the ocean?

That's not what salt water means.

Lots of people understandably get confused. 

A salt water pool is one where you put salt into an ionizer whose charge breaks the molecule down and creates chlorine to sanitize the water.  Much healthier for your hair and skin thank the more commonly used commercially sodium hypochloride. Much safer as well.  Sodium hypochloride is also a dry cleaning chemical and half of the ingredients for mustard gas.  The other half, muriatic acid,  is also a pool chemical,  sometimes used to regulate the pH balance.   Every so often there are accidents where people mistakingly mix the 2.

It's been 25 years since I managed a pool and was a lifeguard and my memory is failing but I think thats a basic description. 

14 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

That's not what salt water means.

Lots of people understandably get confused.

And, you are one who is confused.  While what you describe is a land based salt water pool, why in the world would a ship desalinate sea water to produce fresh water to fill the pool, and then add salt back to it?  Nope.  If the ship's pool is salt water, it is ocean water taken directly in to fill the pool.  Then, instead of using electrolysis to generate chlorine from the salt, the pools are required to be halogenated with either chlorine or bromine.  So, even salt (sea) water pools on ships use chlorine.  The only reason they use salt water in the pools is to save energy in desalinating tons of water for the pool.

Most ship's pools maintain about 20*C (68*F) in their main pools, unless the ship is specifically designed for services like Alaska.

And, as for muriatic acid and bleach (sodium hypochloride) being mixed, while they should not be mixed together in quantity, they are mixed in the pools, in dilute form.  Ship's pools also use muriatic acid as a pH balancer, since chlorine only works as a sanitizer in a narrow pH range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, you are one who is confused.  While what you describe is a land based salt water pool, why in the world would a ship desalinate sea water to produce fresh water to fill the pool, and then add salt back to it?  Nope.  If the ship's pool is salt water, it is ocean water taken directly in to fill the pool.  Then, instead of using electrolysis to generate chlorine from the salt, the pools are required to be halogenated with either chlorine or bromine.  So, even salt (sea) water pools on ships use chlorine.  The only reason they use salt water in the pools is to save energy in desalinating tons of water for the pool.

Most ship's pools maintain about 20*C (68*F) in their main pools, unless the ship is specifically designed for services like Alaska.

And, as for muriatic acid and bleach (sodium hypochloride) being mixed, while they should not be mixed together in quantity, they are mixed in the pools, in dilute form.  Ship's pools also use muriatic acid as a pH balancer, since chlorine only works as a sanitizer in a narrow pH range.

Thanks.

What about the hot tub, specifically for our question, the Haven Hot Tub on the Pearl?  (Summer, Bermuda itinerary, in case that matters.)

I am a warm water wimp.  I cannot stand cold (or even cool) water.  That just means that DH continues to enjoy the water wherever we are, but I may sit and read... or nap.  All good, but a nice warm pool or real "hot tub" is even better. 🙂

GC

33 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

What about the hot tub, specifically for our question, the Haven Hot Tub on the Pearl?  (Summer, Bermuda itinerary, in case that matters.)

I am a warm water wimp.  I cannot stand cold (or even cool) water.  That just means that DH continues to enjoy the water wherever we are, but I may sit and read... or nap.  All good, but a nice warm pool or real "hot tub" is even better. 🙂

GC

The hot tubs are kept around 95-100*F, though sometimes cooler.

With the "older" NCL ships in the fleet, specifically, the Dawn - ship's navigational info-channel used to display the pool's temperature, both the main & hot tubs in earlier years.  Tub temperature as I recalled, was around 98 degrees ... nice when sailing out of the Northeast then during colder months.  Walk by the pool area late night, you'll see steam rising above the bubbles.  

The temperature info apparently no longer done, for whatever reasons.  Perhaps, our Chief can enlighten us, TIA. 

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

The temperature info apparently no longer done, for whatever reasons.  Perhaps, our Chief can enlighten us, TIA.

No idea, never saw it done, but the ships I was on, didn't have remote readouts of pool temperature, only the heater thermostat.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The hot tubs are kept around 95-100*F, though sometimes cooler.

Thanks very much!

If this is indeed the hot tub temp in the Pearl Haven, it will be great. 

Not the usual "real hot tub temp", but warm enough to feel soothing, although 95 is getting a bit cool for a hot tub.

Any chance the temp in the one in the Haven could be adjusted upon request of a passenger (or several)? 

Thanks again for all of your help for a long time, chengkp75!

You make a big difference in so many ways. 🙂

GC

40 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Any chance the temp in the one in the Haven could be adjusted upon request of a passenger (or several)?

Typically, no.  They tend to keep the temperature below 104*F, as this is the prime temperature range for breeding legionella bacteria (legionnaire's disease).  Also why most air jets have been disconnected on the hot tubs. 

Just got off Bliss.  DH swam.  I did not.  He’s part polar bear, so loved the Haven pool and hot tub.  Pool was cool, hot tub was warm.  He also tried the main pools…the bigger one in the center was too cold even for him to stay in for long, and the smaller one by the kids play area was cooler than the Haven pool but he swam anyway.  Even the hot tubs were too cool for me to bother, since I like hot water, and any water that’s below body temperature is too cold for my liking.

The Hot Tubs in the common areas have temperature limits - one size fits all -

those individual to Suites Owners or Spa can be set to the guests request.

So go ahead and enjoy the hot tub but you will not be boiled like the restaurant lobster

although your skin may seem like it.

Stay in too long and botox will need a major effort to get rid of the wrinkles  LOL !

• 2 months later...

I have a high sensitivity to water temperature. I found that I perform best when the temperature is between 79 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit; I can manage temperatures between 81 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit, but anything beyond that causes my splits to decrease dramatically and I begin to get heat fatigue in the water. With temperatures ranging from 83 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit, YMCA pools are well-known around the country. I generally swim with the team at 79F, but I go for a work and swim across the country, encountering a variety of conditions ranging from fine to downright dangerous, with most folks seeming completely unaware of it.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, chengkp75 said:

Wrong.  If the pool temps were kept at 68 degrees peoples lips would be turning blue.  I could see how people might think that because 68 is comfortable in air, but water is completely different. It’s actually dangerous unless you are some sort of athletic swimmer