Paul Gauguin vs Windstar in Tahiti

stromer

I had a 10 day PG cruise booked for Oct 2020 but it was cancelled because of Covid.  Now I am looking at 7 or 10 day cruise in  Mar to Oct 2022 when the chances of going is high.  I am now looking at Windstar Star Breeze vs PG.  They both have similar sized ships.  Has anyone gone on both who can offer their opinion on  both lines.  I can get the Windstar for less than half the PG for a balcony.

Also the Wind Spirit sail boat is also a consideration but it is a different class of ship.  

Thanks, Rick

I haven't sailed on Windstar, but have seen their older "sailing" ships in Tahiti several times.  I wouldn't have sailed one of those ships, because, for one, they don't have elevators to all decks.  And the cabins were small.  But the new ship, including the Breeze, look fabulous.  The window cabin looks very nice (bigger than the Window cabins on the PG.) 

The devil is in the details.  I'd have to look very hard at what they offer in terms of enrichment and a sense of the place--the PG does a truly excellent job of that.  Plus the staff was always the absolute best at sea. Can't comment on the public spaces since I haven't studied the newer ship's specs, so you'd have to do that, and compare. 

I have been on the PG six times, and deeply love that ship, but right now I'm mad at Ponant, the new owners, because of the way they handled the covid cancellation crisis.  I'm not willing to forgive them quite yet, and they haven't proven yet that they are going to maintain the standards from the past.  

So right now, today, if I had to choose, I'd give the Breeze a whirl!

• Like 1

I've sailed on both and preferred Windstar. I was on the Wind Spirit, which as Wendy the Wanderer says, has no elevator, so there's that to consider. If I had to pick one reason that I preferred Windstar I'd say it's because the crew was more personable. Their offerings as far as enrichment, etc are quite similar.

Also, i thought the food was a little better (love the deck barbeque).

I have also sailed both - actually all three if you divide Windstar into sailing and motor. We are booked on our 3rd PG in April (the first was the last sailing before Regent relinquished her). The reason we chose PG is because they are so immersive into the culture. This is all that they do so they truly are experts here. Les Gauguins make this very memorable. This is one of many itineraries for Windstar so the depth of understanding about the uniqueness of the area is only as good as the staff onboard. 

You cannot go wrong in this beautiful part of the world on either of these intimate lines.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, witt's end said:

I have also sailed both - actually all three if you divide Windstar into sailing and motor. We are booked on our 3rd PG in April (the first was the last sailing before Regent relinquished her). The reason we chose PG is because they are so immersive into the culture. This is all that they do so they truly are experts here. Les Gauguins make this very memorable. This is one of many itineraries for Windstar so the depth of understanding about the uniqueness of the area is only as good as the staff onboard. 

You cannot go wrong in this beautiful part of the world on either of these intimate lines.

We were on one of the last PG sailings with Regent as well, but I can't remember if it was the very last.  It was a 14-day Marquesas trip, very memorable.  I agree with you about the depth of immersion in the culture that's available on the Paul Gauguin.

Culturally the PG is on top. The Sea Breeze will not be there in 2023, only the Wind Star. PG also has more of a Polynesian/Asian influence in the kitchen though the food on Windstar is very good. PG was just re-furbished and has bigger cabins than Wind Star. I would comment to much on the Sea Breeze as it is there for the rest of this year and some in 2022 but will not be around the islands for 2023.

To bad the Sea Breeze won't be around in 2023 ... if it was I might consider giving it a try  ....

6 minutes ago, stromer said:

To the previous poster - tahitianbigkahun, I am considering the Sea Breeze for 2022.  Do you have any  comments regarding Sea Breeze vs PG?  

No comparison comments ... have not been on Sea Breeze and all my cruise dates for 2022 (3 of them) are planned and we've bought airfare. If the Sea Breeze was around for 2023 I would book a cruise on so I could compare but as it isn't going to be around it doesn't matter. I am booking a trip on another small ship in FP waters in 2023 .... one I have not been on. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Windstar motor ships were the Seabourn Little Sisters.  All suites.  They are my favorite ships on the seas.  We have sailed them in the Caribbean with Seabourn and Windstar.  Can't speak on Tahiti.  But love those ships.

• Like 1

I am unfortunately lacking information on the Star Breeze and a list of what is included with a cruise on this ship. I agree with Wendy that the cramped quarters and lack of elevators on the sailing ships rules them out for me. And, like Wendy, I need to have more direct information on the PG under its current ownership before sending any money in that direction. Some specific questions I have about the Star Breeze are whether drinks, tips, and at least some shore activities are included — not at extra cost. Windstar’s web site isn’t much help for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All the information you are seeking is on Windstar’s webpage.  You can purchase an all inclusive option that includes laundry, tips, wi-fi and drinks, but you must pay for all shore excursions.  You can also purchase each of these components separately.  There is a free motu barbecue on one day, but alcohol is not free there unless you’ve purchased a package.

l’ve cruised Tahiti on both cruise lines and feel Windstar was the better choice by far.

We had the most amazing PG cruise five years ago and had a PG cruise booked before Covid hit and created major cancellation issues….yes I got my refund but looking at 2023, I’m not sure I’d give ponant another chance..even my TA who loves PG said, they might deserve our business after all we went thru to get our money back and not settle for credit ..definitely looking at a different line..big kahuna, will you share the line you are using in 2023…you are familiar with all things “cruising FP” 

• Like 1

Don't really wish to go into details but to answer your question we are going on the Wind Spirit in May 2023 and something different, a Mediterranean cruise with Azamara in September 2023. The jury is still out if we will be on a PG cruise in 2023 ... still hopeful 🙂

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna