Royal's ships 2023/24

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I reckon Gavin is getting ready to take a shovel to Vanuatu for his next mention in the newspaper. 

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:31 PM, springaussie said:

I reckon Gavin is getting ready to take a shovel to Vanuatu for his next mention in the newspaper. 

Bit of an update here…

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/royal-caribbean-reveals-five-stage-plan-for-regions-first-ever-private-resort-for-cruise-passengers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Private Resort Perfect Day at Lelepa will delight cruisers seeking authentic adventures and genuine relaxation."

Why do we follow the worst practices of private islands made for American cruisers by Royal Caribbean?

Australia is blessed with a multitude of small coastal islands, as well as unspoilt natural South Pacific Islands.  I've probably visited a dozen of them.  One of the charms is mixing with the friendly locals, not fellow travellers.  

I can understand Americans being attracted to them, because many of them live inland.  The majority of us live close to the Coast.  My daughter was shocked that her flatmate in Toronto, Canada had never seen the ocean.

I guess I'll return to flying to the South Pacific Islands unless a small ship cruises between them. 

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

"Private Resort Perfect Day at Lelepa will delight cruisers seeking authentic adventures and genuine relaxation."

Why do we follow the worst practices of private islands made for American cruisers by Royal Caribbean?

Australia is blessed with a multitude of small coastal islands, as well as unspoilt natural South Pacific Islands.  I've probably visited a dozen of them.  One of the charms is mixing with the friendly locals, not fellow travellers.  

I can understand Americans being attracted to them, because many of them live inland.  The majority of us live close to the Coast.  My daughter was shocked that her flatmate in Toronto, Canada had never seen the ocean.

I guess I'll return to flying to the South Pacific Islands unless a small ship cruises between them. 

I agree. 
What happens with the cruises to NZ and Cairns will they go via the Private Island also?

Royal should be doing 3 ports from Brisbane in a 7 day cruise not 2 like what happens now. 
The limited  variety of ports Royal is going to go in the South Pacific now is going out out the window.

Will the other port be the same every cruise like Noumea or Mystery Island?

If a ship from Brisbane and Sydney visits once a week that means the Island is empty 5 out of 7 days.

I assume the cruises will have to overnight here or visit twice for this to work? 

11 hours ago, springaussie said:

If a ship from Brisbane and Sydney visits once a week that means the Island is empty 5 out of 7 days.

I assume the cruises will have to overnight here or visit twice for this to work? 

The Island isn't empty at any time though. Although on a lesser scale, it is a bit like Magnetic Island is to Townsville, and I know what Maggie Island residents would be saying if a ship visited there every day.

16 hours ago, springaussie said:

I agree. 
What happens with the cruises to NZ and Cairns will they go via the Private Island also?

Royal should be doing 3 ports from Brisbane in a 7 day cruise not 2 like what happens now. 
The limited  variety of ports Royal is going to go in the South Pacific now is going out out the window.

Will the other port be the same every cruise like Noumea or Mystery Island?

I think Royal Caribbean is starting to believe their own hype.

They way they portray the resort with only a couple of ships ( maybe less)going there each week doesn’t seem viable to me.

They  signed a long term lease with the island owners ,I think it was 75 years. 
All they have really produced was a video donating some stuff to the school. But apparently it was part of aid group called SHaRM .

https://www.sharmfoundation.com/about-us/

The best thing Royal could do is take Carnival in ,build a second Mystery Island and give the locals some jobs.

Edited by Chiliburn

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I can’t see a American style resort,we just don’t have the population.

They are supposed to build a wharf to take a oasis class,the biggest water slide and flying fox in the Southern Hemispheres.

There’s just not enough ships.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I can’t see a American style resort,we just don’t have the population.

They are supposed to build a wharf to take a oasis class,the biggest water slide and flying fox in the Southern Hemispheres.

There’s just not enough ships.

Nor people.  I knew Germans who used to visit the Gold Coast annually.  They couldn't believe they could do early morning walks along the Spit, Main Beach, without seeing a sole.  We take the dogs there for a run on the Broadwater, at The Spit, and have the small beach to ourselves every time.  You just need to know where to go to still find solitude on the GC.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think Royal Caribbean is starting to believe their own hype.

They way they portray the resort with only a couple of ships ( maybe less)going there each week doesn’t seem viable to me.

The best thing Royal could do is take Carnival in ,build a second Mystery Island and give the locals some jobs.

Agree

i hope the pier is sheltered  from harsh conditions from mother  nature.
Chilli how long do you think they will spend at the Private Island on a 7 night cruise? 

35 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Agree

i hope the pier is sheltered  from harsh conditions from mother  nature.
Chilli how long do you think they will spend at the Private Island on a 7 night cruise? 

Well it’s 2 nights from any major port ,there’s 4 nights.

I think people would want a extra destination and Royal isn’t really well known for a overnights.

Overnights at coco cay are very rare . I suppose there would a security and liability risk if someone got injured overnight,because it would be private property.
I would say one night, don’t really know.

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

One of the Conflict Islands has been up for sale. I guess that while cruise ships can keep visiting for nix, there isn't any point in buying these potential resort islands up like they have in the Caribbean.

With Princess and P and O visiting the Conflicts it is a wonder Carnival Corporation have not put an offer in to purchase. It could be developed into a nice destination. Would keep the Chinese out too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

With Princess and P and O visiting the Conflicts it is a wonder Carnival Corporation have not put an offer in to purchase. It could be developed into a nice destination. Would keep the Chinese out too.

With the major hit that the cruise lines took with the COVID shut down, I don't think buying the Conflict Islands would be something they could consider.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

From what I hear, the Australian government even knocked it back. Would suck if it were to become belt & road.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Seems that they are all up for sale, but PNG is not going to wear it. I wonder how Gowrie-Smith got them to start with, but the PNG government does not want them  in foreign hands.

https://asiapacificreport.nz/2022/09/01/png-orders-investigation-into-conflict-islands-sale-no-deal-says-rosso/

Money talks in PNG, Dollars, Yen, whatever.

I am probably off the money here!

BUT 

A UK travel agent is advertising a 3 night cruise from Southampton 15 October 2023 on Icon. 

Miami cruises are being advertised as Early 2024.

Tonights big event is called the “Worlds Boldest Event.”

So does “World Boldest Event”mean a Promo cruise visiting Brisbane, Singapore and Hong Kong etc? 

4 hours ago, springaussie said:

BUT 

A UK travel agent is advertising a 3 night cruise from Southampton 15 October 2023 on Icon. 

So does “World Boldest Event”mean a Promo cruise visiting Brisbane, Singapore and Hong Kong etc? 

Just their hype for the launch event I’d say. 
Earliest port entry I’ve seen for Icon is St Maarten on 24 Oct 2023 (replaces Harmony).  That seems to be their plan.  

4 hours ago, springaussie said:

BUT 

Earliest port entry I’ve seen for Icon is St Maarten on 24 Oct 2023 (replaces Harmony).  That seems to be their plan.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

You would think they will have to bump some ships out of Florida.

With the strong $U.S , their best profits would be in the U.S. but 2 new ships coming , it going to get congested.

I think Anthem on the west coast split between Alaska and L.A over Christmas is a possibility.

3 Quantum in Alaska would be a big cash cow.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1