Celebrity vs Princess for 30-somethings

Hedgeclipperz

What are your thoughts on Celebrity vs Princess for young adults w/o children? (30 year olds)

I've done RCCL and Disney, and would like to try a new cruise line for my next trip. 

GOOD FOOD and SERVICE being my biggest elements on a good cruise! I am not a late night partier (in bed by 10:30 LOL), and I'm not a fan of belly-flop contests by the pool....but also don't want to be the youngest cruiser by 20 years and feel out of place. 

Looking at cruises on the Celebrity Reflection, the Celebrity Sunset, and the Sky Princess and the Caribbean Princess, if that makes a difference. (out of Fort Lauderdale)

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!  

14 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

What are your thoughts on Celebrity vs Princess for young adults w/o children? (30 year olds)

I've done RCCL and Disney, and would like to try a new cruise line for my next trip. 

GOOD FOOD and SERVICE being my biggest elements on a good cruise! I am not a late night partier (in bed by 10:30 LOL), and I'm not a fan of belly-flop contests by the pool....but also don't want to be the youngest cruiser by 20 years and feel out of place. 

Looking at cruises on the Celebrity Reflection, the Celebrity Sunset, and the Sky Princess and the Caribbean Princess, if that makes a difference. (out of Fort Lauderdale)

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!  

No belly flops. Zumba most days, no charge. Good entertainment. Food good with lots of locations & choices. Probably will be one of the younger passengers. Not like Disney. More like RCCL but no rock walls, surfing. Reasonable specialty dining. Check out Princess Cruises Dining Guide on line. Check out the reasonable plus fares. They are very cost effective. Approximately 2 alcoholic drinks per day is break even. Unlimited non alcoholic beverages including specialty coffee drinks. Also ncludes unlimited internet and daily gratuity.

• Like 1

We much prefer Princess over Celebrity for many reasons. I think you would like either one, but I think that the age average would be younger on Princess. IMHO, Princess is more relaxed, super friendly staff, and really good food and service. Their Beverage Package (we get the Princess Plus, etc) is very lenient. This was NOT so on Celebrity which we found to be very snooty, cold, mediocre food and unhappy staff, service severely lacking. The bartender on the Celebrity Reflection told me that there were only TWO White Wines which qualified for my "Beverage Package". Nearly EVERY wine on Princess qualifies.

Princess ships have a lovely open atrium which provides an airy atmosphere. Celebrity lacks the open atrium and feels dark and closed in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DH and I started cruising with Princess in our mid 30s and loved pretty much everything about it, especially the food and service. We were among the younger cruisers, but there were no issues with that. The itinerary will dictate the age difference too. The shorter the itinerary, the younger the crowd usually. 
I have to say though, it was fun on our first transatlantic cruise when we had a great lunch in the MDR with another couple and the wife made a comment that it was great we were cruising at such a young age.  I had to ask her how old she thought I was.  She thought I was 25, I preferred that to my real age at the time (42). 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

95% of all beverages are covered in the beverage package. Using the Ocean Now section of the medallion app you can order for delivery anywhere on the ship. Waiters find your location by locating your medallion. Of course you can just order direct from a waiter. Celebrity is more class oriented. Princess not very much. 

• Like 2

We have cruised on both lines and would definitely cruise on either one again.  Both have similar demographics although like any cruise line the longer cruises will tend to have an older average age.  I would say the food is pretty equal although based upon menus posted the last few months on Princess boards I think the variety is less than it used to be.  Specialty dining is available on both lines but the cost on Princess is quite a bit less than on Celebrity.  Our last Celebrity cruise was 3 years ago doing Canada/New England and I thought the overall entertainment experience was much better than on Princess.  There was constant musical entertainment around the ship from early afternoon till midnight daily.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, has Princess put the barrel chair or something similar back in the regular balcony cabins or do you have to book at least a premium balcony in order to get either a second chair or sofa to compliment the desk chair? 

No extra chair in any balcony "B" category cabin or below. Sofas in mini suites & full suites. On Royal Class ships deluxe balcony cabins "D" have a 2 seat sofa. The word "premium" does not mean sofa or any extra cabin amenity. It only means location. On the Grand Class ships the steward may be able to find you an extra chair.

• Thanks 1

We sail most major cruise lines.  We have cruised Royal Caribbean the most however Princess is our favorite.  We are mid sixties and active and enjoy Princess and Celebrity because there are a lot fewer children.  Princess has more activities geared toward a broader age range.  Celebrity is geared toward an older crowd.  Celebrity is a little more upscale and food quality a little better.  There really are more similarities than differences between all the cruise lines.  Let me know if you have specific questions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigeagle12 said:

We sail most major cruise lines.  We have cruised Royal Caribbean the most however Princess is our favorite.  We are mid sixties and active and enjoy Princess and Celebrity because there are a lot fewer children.  Princess has more activities geared toward a broader age range.  Celebrity is geared toward an older crowd.  Celebrity is a little more upscale and food quality a little better.  There really are more similarities than differences between all the cruise lines.  Let me know if you have specific questions. 

This is helpful! Thank you! It sounds like maybe I need to poke around activity lists a bit! and maybe menus, too. 

We just got off the Enchantment, a new Princess ship,and it was spectacular in terms of food, entertainment and service. We generally sail on Crystal, and Silversea as we like small ships but we loved the Princess cruise. There were quite a few younger couples onboard but no children, we have sailed equally on Celebrity and Princess and both are good.

• Like 1

I cannot speak for Celebrity, but we started cruising when we were in our mid 30's and our kids were 8 and 9. We all love Princess. As was mentioned, the longer the cruise the older the demographics and the itinerary and time of year will dictate demographics as well. For instance, we have done Caribbean cruises in June, July and January. The June and July there were a good number of kids, the January one (right after the holiday) barely any kids.

• Like 1

We've been cruising Princess for about 20 years - we are now mid 50's.   Never tried Celebrity so can't compare.  Can just tell you my thoughts on Princess.   

We have brought our kids for all those years but have noticed a significant difference in the number of kids on board depending on WHEN we cruised.   During major school holidays (US Thanksgiving, Christmas/NYE,  Mid March when all of Canada is on March Break) there are TONS of kids on board.   Any other time, not so many.   Longer cruises - 10 day - have fewer families and  7 day have more families,  even during non school holidays due to the number of kids in homeschool or private with different timetables.   

Also, retired seniors have more time to cruise longer, so there are usually more on board than younger folks.   But we've usually seen a mix of ages.    

We've really enjoyed Princess over the years.   We like the laid back, don't have to schedule anything, food always available on the buffet (the buffet is quite extensive all day long, not just the two hours at lunch then not much til dinner that you find on some other lines), relaxing environment.  We aren't looking for sports and activities all day and evening.   We just like to relax.     

We think the food is good.   Princess has big ships, and the dining rooms serve the same food to most folks.  There are a couple small pay extra restaurants, but the majority eat the same dinner spread across 3 dining rooms.   Some folks think its too banquet style but what can you expect with 3000 passengers?   Check the Princess website for which specialty restaurants are on Sky and Caribbean specifically.     

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

Service has always been excellent in my opinion.   We've found the staff attentive without being overbearing.   We often get our own drinks at the bar, enjoy talking to the bartenders.   If we are at a table at the bar, or a lounger by the pool, the waiters are walking around and usually quite good.   If you want to be served while you lounge, the new Medallion app onboard lets you order stuff to where you are without having to get up.  

The Sanctuary is a pay extra seating area with loungers (no pool in Sanctuary- its just outside the pay area) where you can get lots of service while you relax.   

Sky and Caribbean are two different ships - Caribbean is the older "Grand Class" style, Sky is the new "Regal Class" style.   Big difference is the balcony sizes - on Caribbean the decks are tiered outwards (think cake layers bigger on bottom smaller on top) and some balconies are much bigger than others, but all are nice sized, some are covered, some are uncovered and can be viewed from above.   On Sky, most of the balconies are pretty darned narrow, but all are stacked straight up and down, no tiering.   There are some forward and aft that are bigger, but all the ones on the sides are small.    If you choose Sky, and if you care about balcony size, do your research.  

Caribbean Princess has more separate pool areas = the main pools are in two separate sections one with the movie screen, one without, plus the other pool areas (Spa pool, aft terrace pool, then the upper deck plunge pool and kiddie play area unique to Caribbean Princess).   

Sky has one main pool area with the movie screen, then the retreat pool which is quieter, but more windy due to location.   Sky has a very small aft pool.   

You can see the different areas by comparing deck plans.   

Caribbean Princess is a smaller ship than Sky, has a smaller piazza.   

There are lots of photos of each online and in the ship reviews section on cruisecritic. 

As noted by others, Princess cabins don't have a seating area, unless you go up to "Deluxe Balcony Cabin" on Sky, or "Minisuite" on either Caribbean or Sky.  

The "Minisuite" on Princess is similar to the normal veranda cabin on other cruiselines.    The "Balcony" cabin on Princess is smaller.   Again, look at photos and cabin layout on the Princess website.   

Enjoy your cruise!     

Edited by CruisinFinsUp
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Sky and Caribbean are two different ships - Caribbean is the older "Grand Class" style, Sky is the new "Regal Class" style.   Big difference is the balcony sizes - on Caribbean the decks are tiered outwards (think cake layers bigger on bottom smaller on top) and some balconies are much bigger than others, but all are nice sized, some are covered, some are uncovered and can be viewed from above.   On Sky, most of the balconies are pretty darned narrow, but all are stacked straight up and down, no tiering.   There are some forward and aft that are bigger, but all the ones on the sides are small.    If you choose Sky, and if you care about balcony size, do your research.  

Caribbean Princess has more separate pool areas = the main pools are in two separate sections one with the movie screen, one without, plus the other pool areas (Spa pool, aft terrace pool, then the upper deck plunge pool and kiddie play area unique to Caribbean Princess).   

Sky has one main pool area with the movie screen, then the retreat pool which is quieter, but more windy due to location.   Sky has a very small aft pool. 

Okay this is actually REALLY helpful. Pools are important to me- i didn't even think to put this in my original post, so thank you for bringing it up!!! 

So just to clarify, there are two adults only pools on Caribbean (the Terrace Pool and Sanctuary?). Vs Sky has the one (the retreat pool?). SOOO pool wise, the Caribeean sounds like the winner between those two boats, yeah? 

And balcony wise, it sounds like Carribean wins there, too...bigger balcony. Right?

37 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Okay this is actually REALLY helpful. Pools are important to me- i didn't even think to put this in my original post, so thank you for bringing it up!!! 

So just to clarify, there are two adults only pools on Caribbean (the Terrace Pool and Sanctuary?). Vs Sky has the one (the retreat pool?). SOOO pool wise, the Caribeean sounds like the winner between those two boats, yeah? 

And balcony wise, it sounds like Carribean wins there, too...bigger balcony. Right?

There is NO Sanctuary pool on any ship (except one older ship where Sanctuary is in the back)

The Sanctuary is Pay extra.  The Adults only pools are not pay extra.   

Its confusing we know - the deck plans look misleading that the pool is inside Sanctuary but its not!   (We like our not pay extra adult pools!) 

The adults only Spa pool on Caribbean Princess is tucked down in between the Spa lobby areas.  Few Loungers, lots more loungers on deck one level up from it.   

Sky has the adults only Retreat pool area.  Its bigger.    

Do try to look at photos before you decide.      I'll try to dig some up and post if I can find good ones. 

There are a few "live from" threads for BOTH these ships on these boards right now.  Take a look. 

Also, look at the ship reviews here on CC - there will be photos there too.   

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/caribbean-princess-303/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-class--1180/

There are LOTS of photos on these pages.   Look thru and see for yourself what works for you.    Google search also provides videos and photos.   

Sky Princess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtqKGUD54Xk

Aft pool & Retreat pool are at 8 minutes in

Enjoy!   

Edited by CruisinFinsUp

10 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Whoops, thank you! I took a quick glance but apparently it was TOO quick, LOL! I'll check those links you posted. 🙂

Its a common misconception here that the Spa pool is pay with the Sanctuary 🙂      Especially on CB where the Spa pool is one deck below the Sanctuary and tucked forward of the Sanctuary entrance gates.  

But the Spa pool is most definitely "included" !   

There are lots of loungers aft of the Sanctuary, one deck up from the Spa Pool.   

Enjoy!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Take a look at the deck plans at Princess.com. The Caribbean has 5 pools. The Terrace Pool is the most popular adult pool and has a bar & food nearby. Shade by the Terrace Pool is from the structure of the ship. The other adult pool is forward by the spa. It has limited seating and is kind if isolated. It is not part of the spa or sanctuary. There are two Lido deck pools. The one most aft has movies under the stars (MUTS) running all day and evening with loud speakers. The forward one is MUTS free. There is a grill & pizza by the forward Lido deck pool. On the very upper deck is a family pool area. It is really nice. There is a small round pool, hot tub and a fancy splash pool. If there are no or few children on board it's a nice location.

If you are considering the Caribbean Princess, the balconies on Caribe deck (#10) are significantly larger than on other decks, and are half-covered, half-uncovered.  We enjoyed a special anniversary with an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on one of these Caribe balconies and had plenty of room.

Favorite areas of ours on the Caribbean Princess: Aft terrace pool on deck 14,  Outriggers bar above it on deck 15, and the view from the Skywalkers Bar/Nightclub on deck 18 is fantastic!

As others have said, there tends to be more younger passengers on shorter (7 days or less) cruises.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Favorite areas of ours on the Caribbean Princess: Aft terrace pool on deck 14,  Outriggers bar above it on deck 15

ours also

Note: on the CB, the aft terrace pool has walk in steps and a handrail to enter / exit the pool - if that is important for anyone.  'most' other pools have vertical ladders ...

38 minutes ago, skynight said:

Take a look at the deck plans at Princess.com. The Caribbean has 5 pools. The Terrace Pool is the most popular adult pool and has a bar & food nearby. Shade by the Terrace Pool is from the structure of the ship. The other adult pool is forward by the spa. It has limited seating and is kind if isolated. It is not part of the spa or sanctuary. There are two Lido deck pools. The one most aft has movies under the stars (MUTS) running all day and evening with loud speakers. The forward one is MUTS free. There is a grill & pizza by the forward Lido deck pool. On the very upper deck is a family pool area. It is really nice. There is a small round pool, hot tub and a fancy splash pool. If there are no or few children on board it's a nice location.

5 pools?  That's great.  Time for me to move to Princess. 😁

On 12/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, nini said:

Funny... the entertainment on the Celebrity Reflection on late 2018 was quite repetitive. Each evening show included air acrobatic acts. It became old very quickly.

We were on the Celebrity Edge 7/3/21. The evening entertainment in the theatre was very different each night. A singer doing Aretha Franklin hits was amazing. A magician, a dance team from NYC were both memorable. 

Our first Princess cruise is 12/20 on Enchanted. I expect to equally be entertained and impressed.