Has celebrity ever sailed from Port Canaveral?

blueskadoo

Hello all- we recently did our first X cruise and really enjoyed it. We would love to continue with them, but as it stands we have to fly to board a ship, and we are in driving distance to PC. It’s much easier for me to persuade my husband to cruise when he can just hop in the car and go. So has celebrity ever sailed from Port Canaveral? If not, was there ever any chatter pre-covid that it could happen? I know the pandemic made everything change, but I’d still love to know! TIA

• Thanks 1

Right there with you!!!  I'm  just about 1.5 hours from PC and would love to have X there.  But it looks like it won't happen.  I believe they're building more terminals, but it looks like larger ships will berth.  Although MSG (or whatever it's called) will be one of them, too.

And no, Cape Canaveral hasn’t ever been a terminal departure port for Celebrity, and haven’t seen any inference that it’s looking at it. 

I guess you might think about driving down the day prior and staying an hr or 2 north of Port Everglades. Takes the stress out of driving 95 all the way. We usually stay in Palm Garden area which is 1 hr north of FLL And the hotels don’t jump up in price Friday’s as does Ft Lauderdale. 

we live in Florida, but the Panhandle is 9+ hrs so we break it up. 

Den

I also wish X would sail from Port Canaveral, but no such luck yet. Closest to us is Tampa and the “Connie” is one of our favorite ships.  Lucky we are only 45 min (no traffic) to port.   Uber was only $55.  It was 68 coming back due to time of day and day of week.   We’ll be on her again in March.   ( or maybe even sooner !). 
EQ is our other fav ship.   We drive to Naples, spend the night, then drive to port in the am to board.  Less stress and less traffic on the Alley.  

Port Canaveral has been expanding and they are catering to several cruise lines including RCCL, Carnival, MSC, Disney, and NCL.  It seems that they prefer larger ships.

But sadly Princess and Celebrity have not, as of yet, decided to base a ship here. 

We would love to see Celebrity sail from Port Canaveral.  There is a lot to see and soon the Space Coast and Orlando pre/post cruise.  It is much less hectic than Ft Lauderdale and Miami.  It would be our preferred port if Celebrity would move a ship up north.  Seems like they could share resources with RCI in Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

Jacksonville is our closest port and the only people I’ve known to sail out of there in a long while is Carnival, and it’s usually one of the smaller, older ships. I’ve always heard it’s because of the bridge’s clearance. We don’t even bother with looking for cruises from there. You know, X calls on Charleston…maybe that’d be a good expansion spot. 

Edited by blueskadoo
  • Like 1