Definitely, not live from the Allure December 11, 2021.

xpcdoojk

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes

I will try to find out Thursday when we are at Mama Mia during our MTD reservation.  

It was super windy this afternoon, I didn’t always look like my smooth effortless grace on the wave.  When you got near the top of the wave it was like trying to knock you down.  Plus your spray became a personal shower.  It was so difficult I actually fell one time on the top which I am able to avoid normally 95% of the time.  Still I was in line for about 5 hours.  🤣

We were on the previous sailing, which was definitely windier than usual.  We usually spend a lot of time watching the Flowrider, even though neither of us ride.  The last day (Saturday), it was so windy that watching required sitting in a shower of cold water.  We tried twice, then gave up.  The riders were huddled under towels while they waited their turns.

25 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

which makes you think they might try to fix it.  Seriously, works like a charm on my Mac.  Zero issues.  Most people are not using computers in 2021.  

On my Mac right now, had to sign in but CC had me fully signed out. logged in and posted immediately.

18 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am definitely hitting the FR at 9AM for 2 hours, then lunch, then off the ship to do my penance.  

Be back later.  

LOLOLOL, have a great day. 

• Haha 1

So, Charlotte Amalie was indeed devastated by Covid.  Many stores no longer are open, those that are have greatly reduced inventory, and a lot more junk.  Very sad.  

On the upside I was not buying jewelry today!  I did buy the DW a pair of Flip Flops and a cocktail.  

Was on the FlowRider at 9AM it was still windy, but the speed of the ship was reducing.  Sailing into Crown’s Bay is always a cool experience.  Surfed until 11, tried to eat lunch in the Solarium, but it was not open at 11:30 so we went to the Windjammer, it was fine, I had pork schnitzel and sweet and sour chicken, an over salad dressing Caesar.  Took the $4 pp shuttle to downtown, went to the regular shops that were open, very sad.  There always used to be a thriving (what I call) hippie market with people selling t shirts and crafts near the post office on the Main Street, there couldn’t have been more than 5 or 6 sad looking kiosks now.  After shopping we went to the Green House, and had a cocktail before heading back to the ship.  

We went thru the shops at Crown Bay and they were worse than downtown.  It was raining when we went back on the ship.  We spent about an hour in the cabin, with me downloading my SD (FlowRider and show videos) card onto my Mac during a 45 minute off and on rain.  They are now there for possible future editing or ignoring.  😆  I left for the FlowRider around 3PM, and it was windy as heck, but now it was pushing me up the wave instead of trying to knock me down.  I surfed until after 6PM, and because of the cool windy conditions, after the first warmish ride not falling down, I decided to stick to that plan, and I never fell a single time for the next 3 hours.  Before anyone thinks I am bragging, I readily admit that I am the most boring FlowRider of all time.  I just carve back and forth at the top of the wave.  I have no skill at much else, but I look good the first time you watch me do what I do the next umpteen times, I must just put people to sleep.  That said, I am a really good line coach, and teach newbies how to stay on the board and get rid of the white plastic band and the green paper band that someone writes ADV on.  

The DL has been packed each night, we always struggle with finding chairs, but so far always have.  The DL concierge decided to talk to me because he thought I had some sort of competition shirt on that had nothing to with what the shirt was from.  I had a 2018 Ryder’s Cup shirt on that I bought at the PGA Championship at Bellerive in St Louis, where the USA was destroyed in Paris by the Euro’s.  He then tried to compare me to Tiger Woods and Bubba Watson (because I am guessing they are the only golfers he knows the name of).  It was comical and exhausting at the same time, trying to explain it to him.  

We left for our 7:45 MTD reservation at 7:30 and when we arrived the staff seemed desperate to put us at the correct table as they sat someone at our table incorrectly ahead of us last night and put us into a kind of walled off option.  Which we didn’t say a single word about at all.  I mentioned to the person trying to fix these perceived wrongs, that we were fine with 4 different wait teams in 4 nights.  So, they accomplished sitting us where we were supposed to have been last night.  I no longer ask for the wine list.  I just say a glass of 343 for DW and an 879 for me.  Kim Crawford Savingnon Blanc and Andrew Peace Cabernet Savingnon, which the former is my lovely wife’s favorite and the latter is the cheap wine by the class that hits the spot for me.

Back to the room very early, and about to go to sleep, DW is already.  

Talk soon.

jc

• Like 3

15 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, today, I will unless extremely lucky and Covid has decimated the David Yurman and Lagos selling stores in Charlotte Amalie pay the price for taking the DW on a birthday cruise and then spending 5 hours in the FlowRider line on her birthday.

On a cabin note, we are in 8204 a D2 with an angled balcony.  The AC is adequate for being in the cabin, but when I fall asleep with the covers over by about 5AM I am smoking hot.  I wish they would allow just a couple of degrees cooler AC.  

I am definitely hitting the FR at 9AM for 2 hours, then lunch, then off the ship to do my penance.  

Be back later.  

Maybe spend more time with your wife on the cruise and less time on the Flow Rider would be the way to go?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That said, I am a really good line coach, and teach newbies how to stay on the board and get rid of the white plastic band and the green paper band that someone writes ADV on.  

You my friend just made the ADV line longer.  

It does feel great to help the newbies doesn't it. 🙂

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe spend more time with your wife on the cruise and less time on the Flow Rider would be the way to go?

On a cruise wives are called Flow-widows. Any one who rides or is married to one that rides gets it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jimbo, Jimbo🤨

Somehow despite my numerous flaws we have managed to remain married for 40 years, 41 in less than a month.

DW, woke up ahead of me this am because I slept only with the sheet over me and didn’t melt at 5AM.  So, we went to the DL for our coffee together.  Then off to the Solarium where we both had an omelet, and I had my first croissant when I saw a fresh tray of them come out.  Yum. 

I will be off the FR shortly, until lunchtime when we will go ashore and eat.  We have always gone to Marigot on the French side for lunch and shopping.  We always have eaten at Le Tropicana, which we adore.  We have decided to stay in port as I really don’t want to get involved in the off chance that they do a protest and close the roads on that side as they have reported to having done recently a few times.

Kind of sad.

Hopefully Philipsburg is somewhat back to normal.

jc

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, xpcdoojk said:

Day 2 in Nassau.  FlowRider was open 9-11:30AM and again 2-6.  I was a bit late at 2:30PM as I was screaming at my Ipad at Toto Wolfe for being a complete idiot, and not pitting Lewis giving Max an easy win from an impossible situation.  I didn’t listen to any post race, because I was already late.  I was in a foul mood, but FlowRider therapy helped.    

I can understand the Toto Wolfe comment - it was an interesting race to say the least.

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

On a cruise wives are called Flow-widows. Any one who rides or is married to one that rides gets it. 

Going on Navigator out of LA for New Years and I'm expecting the same grief from my Flow-widow, since my In-Laws aren't going on this trip to keep her entertained while I feed my addiction.  The single wave/split schedule will help maintain the marital bliss.

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You my friend just made the ADV line longer.  

It does feel great to help the newbies doesn't it. 🙂

Going to be great to be Flowriding on a ship again and get back to people thinking I'm decent and asking for advice.  My son and I did a couple of super-advanced sessions in the Phoenix area over the summer and those guys made me feel like a newbie (not to mention my son has now surpassed his old-man in Flowrider skills).  

On 12/14/2021 at 1:55 AM, denamo said:

Hope this isn't our experience on our upcoming Allure cruise.  We've done the Ovation and the Symphony since cruising re-opened, and both musters were a breeze.  We were able to watch it in the app in our hotel room before even boarding on the Symphony. 

We just scrolled thru the app,  clicked ok that we watch it and went to muster and they just checked our name off. We really didn't do anything.

• Like 1

So, I am way behind.

Wednesday we did indeed get off in Philipsburg and went to the Art of Time Store which is right there at the pier.  Krystal immediately found more David Yurman than we saw in the entire trip to St Thomas.  She found a ring and a necklace she liked.  Typical island 10% discount.  We asked where was the best place to eat i Philipsburg currently for lunch and they guided us to Holland House.  So, we told the clerk we would think about it. Hopped on the water taxi and went to town.

We walked from the water taxi dock back towards the ship checking out the shops.  I felt that although everything was still not like it used to be it was more normal than Charlotte Amalie.  We got to Holland House went in and had lunch at the bar in the open air lobby.  We had three shared cocktails, and an order of lobster loaded nachos.  Which were all good.  

After we returned to shopping.  We found the Art of Time store in town, and they had different stuff, and not the pieces she had a fancy for.  The salesman desperately told us they had another section that they were about to return to David Yurman and the ring was in this collection at 25% off.  Happy days.  We continued shopping before wandering back to the Water Taxi, returned to the pier, and Art of Time and bought the necklace.  

By the time we got back on the ship it was rush to the FlowRider for an afternoon run.  I had previously done the 2-1/2 hour morning session.  I got in another couple of hours before getting back I took a quick shower and dressed for dinner.  We went to the DL and I had a couple of G&T chatted with the regulars there.  Then we went to the MTD with a 7:30 reservation at 6PM because Mama Mia for the umpteenth time was happening at 7:30.  They did seat us near our regular session, but we were 5 for 5 with waiter combos being completely new.  

Dinner was good. The show was good, as the leading lady playing Donna and the leading man playing Sam were the same as we saw in January 2020 on our last cruise.  I think Sophie was the same too,  After the show we rushed to our cabin and bed!  We had a 7AM tour on St. Kitts to do a rain forest hike.  YIKES,  

On 12/14/2021 at 6:46 AM, xpcdoojk said:

On another note it is really easy to post using my Mac.... why does this site keep the you are not logged in when you are and your posts get hung up when you use an iPad?  Sigh.

jc

Because it's an Android World

• Haha 2

On 12/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, xpcdoojk said:

Good morning from the diamond lounge approaching St Thomas.  Currently, I am here with a man with a cup of coffee he beat me by 10 minutes and was able to get a cup before staff started chasing people away from the machine.  Including a blonde older lady with her Yorkshire terrier in a little jacket.  

How do I get Rodrhi to go sailing with us or even the calmer OWD?

Be back shortly have some work to do, and hopefully score a cup of latte macchiato with an extra expresso shot.  

jc

I've started concoting my version of a 'cuban'

4 brown sugars, 2 espressos, and a little steamed milk. Very tasty and a nice kick start. Especially when I get two of them.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, A&L_Ont said:

On my Mac right now, had to sign in but CC had me fully signed out. logged in and posted immediately.

I seriously have almost zero problems with my S9 using Chrome.

If I can't log in, its a totally different problem 😉🤣🤣

Edited by John&LaLa

So, surprisingly, Thursday was a first for us.  We went to St Kitts.  Since you can’t book a tour independently, we booked the Rain Forest hike.  Obviously, this was one of the smaller tours, and after meeting in the Amber theatre, we went out in a large line to the tours after 7AM.  I had to figure out where tour 25 was, as we were in the micro minority of tour people.  Finally figured that out.  the buses for the tour were very small, probably held 15 to 20… I was reluctant to get in the small bus, and instead opted for the open airbus that probably held 24+.  The microphone sound system from the driver was marginal, but adequate after we all said what did you say a few times.  He was a lovely local Rasta, very knowledgeable about all the bazillions of teas you can make of things you find in the tropical rainforests on St Kitts. We arrived at an old sugar/rum plantation where the locals now make the Batiks, 5 layers of bees wax and dye fabrics.  Quite lovely we didn’t buy any. Then off to a 2+ hour walk along the creek coming off the mountains in the rainforest.  We ended up in a local bar, where we were given cakes and fruit juice before returning back to the port.  

We did the walk through the shops there, where I was tested for fever at least 4 times, and given hand wash 25 times.  I hope alcohol laden lotions don’t cause cancer.🤣

We bought our friend Shelby a Flag for St Kitts.  We bought his wife a tee shirt,  and Krystal a St Kitts towel clip for a beach chair.  Woohoo.  

Back on the ship I got my board shorts and rash guard on and headed to the FlowRider for the afternoon session.  After about an hour, I noticed an American Airlines jet with landing gear lowered heading for town.  I asked KC who works for the FAA where the airport was since that was the first plane I had seen landing.  Turns out it was in the middle of town directly in front of the ship.  If you see a jet with the gear down, you know it is likely landing very shortly.  it did.  During the next 3 hours there was one more landing a British Airways Jet.  This was the last day of calm FlowRiding. 

After the session, I returned to the room for a shower, shave and dressing for dinner.  We had our 6 straight night of different wait teams, and they set us as far away from our regular spot as possible. After dinner we went to the Aqua Theatre to watch the Chiefs play the Chargers on the screens there.  Then we went to the Amber theatre to watch the family version of the comics.  It was not nearly as funny so back to the Aqua Theatre.  Shortly after back to the room to watch the game on my Ipad from our home system.  I fell asleep when the Chiefs were losing in the 3rd quarter.  K shortly after me.  

Such is the day in the life of a rock star.😆

• Like 3

So a bit out of order here.  There are 6 people in the DL at 15 until 7.  Magic hour when we can access the magic coffee machine.  There are 2 dogs.

One a black and white Poodle style about 10 pounds the other the mentioned earlier in the cruise, a yappy Yorkie about 3 pounds. They are clearly not dogs, that I would consider service animals.  Other than comfort for the owners not separated from their pets.,

I think Rodrhi, my 8 month old 22 pound Welsh Terrier puppy with no redeeming values is being discriminated against.  He could change the whole dog sailing ships paradigm.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly, the snacks are similar to what I remember on our last sailing on the Allure in January 2020.  

The morning snacks, which I am about to consume seem similar as well.  I know when we did the Transpacific on the Ovation in 2019 the snacks were a bit more elaborate, but since that was in the music hall, there is a lot more space for more involved snacks.