Splendor Christmas TV special

flossie009

For those in the U.K. look out for a programme about Christmas on Splendor; scheduled to air on Channel 5 at 8pm on Christmas Eve.

A British film crew (ITN Productions) is on board this cruise capturing various events and shore excursions.

Tonight there will be a Christmas party in the Atrium which is destined to be used as the finale in the show. All guests have been encouraged to “dress up” for the event.

3B9A0A7C-3675-41EE-9647-D8D1ADDD060D.thumb.jpeg.65b60d81caee4ba18ba71c4a98d600d5.jpeg

I wonder if we will receive equity ‘extras’ rates? Probably just free drinks 😉 

Will John Barron be using a stunt double? 😂

Will there be any jokes about parties at No10? 🤣

So many questions ………….. but it should be an enjoyable event 🥳 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Watched the TV programmes about the Explorer. Hope this is as good. Should encourage more people into give cruising a go, not to many though, don’t want to struggle to get places on future cruises. Enjoy your15 minutes of fame as they say.

Watched the programme about Explorer 'worlds most expensive cruise ship' as was considering Regent. Even allowing for the TV 'spin' the decor and 'jacket and tie is formal' factor put us off, but will watch this with interest, and we may reconsider

Hi "Mum" - I agree with you.  When I watched that program over here in the U.S. ("World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship")  I came away with the thought that this was definitely "not the Regent" that DW and I sail on!  I don't think it showed Regent in the best light....at least not for an American audience.  I wouldn't continue to sail on Regent if it was "really" like that!

The script writing, video editing, and overall story line promoted a feeling of "total snootiness" and a complete obsession and focus on the "ritz, cost, and lavishness" of sailing on the Explorer.   It reminded me of the old TV program over here called, "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous", hosted by Robin Leach (a Brit).

I don't think it did Regent any favors, at least not with an American audience.  The U.S. was not originally formed with any reverence for a "class system", and even if many of us might be able to afford a Regent Cruise, we don't "brag about it" or "wear it on our sleeve". And most well-mannered folks who might have a comfortable bank account don't openly flaunt it in front of others.  That show about "Christmas on Explorer" was nothing but the "Flaunting of excessive wealth".  Especially the segment about the lady purchasing the necklace in the ship's boutique!

I wonder if ITN plans on setting that same fake and pretentious "tone" for this new production, as well?  I hope not.  Regards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi "Mum" - I agree with you.  When I watched that program over here in the U.S. ("World's Most Expensive Cruise Ship")  I came away with the thought that this was definitely "not the Regent" that DW and I sail on!  I don't think it showed Regent in the best light....at least not for an American audience.  I wouldn't continue to sail on Regent if it was "really" like that!

The script writing, video editing, and overall story line promoted a feeling of "total snootiness" and a complete obsession and focus on the "ritz, cost, and lavishness" of sailing on the Explorer.   It reminded me of the old TV program over here called, "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous", hosted by Robin Leach (a Brit).

I don't think it did Regent any favors, at least not with an American audience.  The U.S. was not originally formed with any reverence for a "class system", and even if many of us might be able to afford a Regent Cruise, we don't "brag about it" or "wear it on our sleeve". And most well-mannered folks who might have a comfortable bank account don't openly flaunt it in front of others.  That show about "Christmas on Explorer" was nothing but the "Flaunting of excessive wealth".  Especially the segment about the lady purchasing the necklace in the ship's boutique!

I wonder if ITN plans on setting that same fake and pretentious "tone" for this new production, as well?  I hope not.  Regards.

How true ———

13 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Watched the programme about Explorer 'worlds most expensive cruise ship' as was considering Regent. Even allowing for the TV 'spin' the decor and 'jacket and tie is formal' factor put us off, but will watch this with interest, and we may reconsider

I watched the programme about the building of the Explorer and enjoyed it but I agree with you that when it came to the programme showing the passengers on board it was cringe-worthy!  I hope that the new programme at Christmas is better.

22 minutes ago, mumcat said:

I watched the programme about the building of the Explorer and enjoyed it but I agree with you that when it came to the programme showing the passengers on board it was cringe-worthy!  I hope that the new programme at Christmas is better.

The woman buying the jewelery (and some others on the programme) reminded me of a Dolly Parton quote

''It costs a lot of money to look this cheap''

I tried to ignore the 'characters' the film crew found, normal pleasant reasonably intelligent people make for poor TV and probably don't want to be on film particularly. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with Pingpong1. If we had not been on Regent before we would have been negatively influenced by the Explorer special. One of the things we value with Regent is the laid back, unpretentious people on board. I do think the specials give the wrong message to the American high end traveler. There may be a reason Regent does not show in the USA. 

• Like 2

Must confess, I didn't notice any snootyness in the programme, the whole thing just didn't look high end to us (British) There were a lot of tricks of the trade used by the crew to create an illusion of more luxury than there was. 

The service seemed to be of a standard I'd expect in any 4 star hotel or equivalent ship, but nothing special. Decor wise shiny stuff and marble doesn't equal luxury. 

The next programme may give a different perspective, if so I will reconsider

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

I do think the specials give the wrong message to the American high end traveler.

I don’t think the Explorer special was particularly attractive for the U.K. market either. This was discussed at length in a previous CC thread:

• Like 3

I.m sincerely hoping we won't have any production film crews to have to deal with or "step around" on our Mariner 12/18 Holiday cruise.  Probably not....since Mariner isn't the "newest toy in the fleet". I think all of us normal folks want to spontaneously participate in and enjoy our own "REAL Holiday Celebration", without being used as incidental/unpaid "props" for a Regent publicity opportunity.  Perhaps it's just me, but I think this is a bit "cheesy" on the part of Regent Corporate, actually.

I throughly enjoyed watching both ITN programs about the Explorer.   They didn't seem too over the top to me.  But, then again, I was watching those about a year ago when I would have been amused with out-takes shot onboard the SS Minnow. [That would probably confuse 60% of the readers on the Carnaval Boards] 

Besides, the only 'Reality' in reality TV is that we try to numb our brains and convince ourselves that we are voyeurs into someone else's life.   

And for the record;  My LW loves her necklace.

• Haha 3

I have watched the program on Explorer and have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I think it showcases the ship itself and the hardworking staff beautifully.  On the other hand, one gets the sense that the "average" Regent passenger is rather self-involved and unpleasant.  Not at all the kind of person I want to be or be around.  And certainly not the kind of people I have gotten to know around these parts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I have watched the program on Explorer and have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I think it showcases the ship itself and the hardworking staff beautifully.  On the other hand, one gets the sense that the "average" Regent passenger is rather self-involved and unpleasant.  Not at all the kind of person I want to be or be around.  And certainly not the kind of people I have gotten to know around these parts.

agree...watched it on ytube and love to see the ship and the people we know/met. As it was a TV show...much was staged and over the top (so was John...sorry John...). But this was not something for a US passenger....almost had a feeling it was done by an anti-cruise producer showing off....   Love the ship, love the crew and yes, John is a great cruise director, doing what he's supposed to do. Don't book or cancel a booking because of this show. 🙂   

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 4:43 AM, KBs mum said:

Normal pleasant reasonably intelligent people make for poor TV.

Exactly correct. Television is character driven. And John Barron is a character too.

The title of the new program is, "The World's Most Expensive Christmas Cruise." I think we know what to expect.

• Like 1

I think you have ' Hit the Nail on the Head ' with your comments relating to the Documentary Title and the ' Characters ' involved.

We watched the Programme with interest and having not sailed on Regent ( over 20 Years of High End Cruising ), thought the Ship looked spectacular albeit there was little footage of The Public Rooms. We wonder how a Cruise Line can allow a Programme to be shown without Corporate Vetting because the emphasis on the OTT Cruise Director and his Antics certainly did not, in our opinion, demonstrate a Quality, let alone Luxury Product.

Luxury is a very Personal Issue and just to major on Expense/ Glitz and OTT Performance sometimes puts Potential Guests off.

These are Personal Views which are not intended to offend those of a different persuasion - I am sure there are many who would find the whole Cruise, as portrayed, perfect,

• Like 3

Totally agree - what an amateurish presentation - very disappointing, it mainly centered on one person and that person is probably very good at his job but that's not what I expected to watch (nor the singer's ear-ring collection, yawn). There was little shown of the public areas, suites and what the ship had to offer - not exactly selling a high end product, in my eyes. 

• Like 2

It seemed to have been edited by someone whose idea of a luxury cruise is the ship within a ship concept on the megaships. The programme made Regent seem low end, which it arguably isn't. (The private island didn't help though, very Carnival)

What happened to the dress codes on board? Is sportswear and casual allowed during the day? The standard of dress seemed lower than I would expect, smart casual is more usual?