DIRECT FLIGHT NO MORE :( - now what?

Froufie

SO UPSET - my direct flight to FLL and now changed with a stopover in CRAZY BUSY Pearson airport in Toronto - i am so ticked off.

We specifically chose to fly in 2 days pre-cruise instead of day before because of the direct flight offered that afternoon - easy peasy we thought- so mch for that plan!

The current 'change' has us leaving the same time (2 pm) with only a 2.5 hr layover in Toronto and I am not optimistic that this is enough to clear customs and get on our flight to Florida.....  one option we are considering is a 2:50 pm flight via Montreal.  Same 2 .5 hr layover but I presume it might be easier due to size/less travellers?   - the only downside is arriving later in Fll (10 pm vs 9 pm with current flight changes).

Now ever wondering if we should just fly in the day before instead of the 2 days given there is no benefit of a direct flight right now?

Decisions, decisions (and yes have to do this via Flights by Celebrity).....

So what would you do?  Is 2.5 hrs to connect at Pearson enough?  Or is Montreal/later arrival a better plan?  Your thoughts?

From Ottawa, another option is to take the VIA rail train to Montreal (Dorval), take the free shuttle right to the airport. Then your direct flight to Florida. Worth checking to see if times line up. We try to avoid Pearson at the best of times. Would definitely stay away now.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pennyob said:

From Ottawa, another option is to take the VIA rail train to Montreal (Dorval), take the free shuttle right to the airport. Then your direct flight to Florida. Worth checking to see if times line up. We try to avoid Pearson at the best of times. Would definitely stay away now.

I would consider this if it wasn't winter - we leave our coats/boots/winter wear at home and travel light so not sure this would work for us!  ....but definitely worth considering if nothing else pans out!

I would strongly consider the Montreal option either with a train or drive to Montreal.  We had to go through Pearson in November and I will be working very hard to never do so again.  It was awful on the return flight.  

I'm with @Josie201 and driving to Montreal. We've done that several times for winter cruises, and as there are park and ride lots with a shuttle bus from your car to the terminal, it's easy to leave your coats and boots in the car.

When we've had early morning flights, we've driven down the night before and stayed at an airport hotel or motel, some of which offer parking for the time you are away, plus a shuttle. If you fly down the day before instead of two days before, you can cancel your hotel in Florida and book one in Montreal if you have an early flight possibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

I would strongly consider the Montreal option either with a train or drive to Montreal.  We had to go through Pearson in November and I will be working very hard to never do so again.  It was awful on the return flight.  

We connected through Pearson in August both ways to and from the Dominican Republic and it was awful, esp returning to Canada. That airport is horrendous and we will try to NEVER go through Pearson ever again.

3 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I wonder if you phoned celebrity flights and asked if they can find you a different direct flight. Wouldn’t hurt to try. I would be upset too. 

My case is slightly different because it is Royal Caribbean Air2Sea. They recently  changed my flights. Original flights were connecting from YOW > YYZ > MIA. New flights were the same connections, but new times. I called Air2Sea and was able to change to direct flights from YUL to MIA. In my case the flights saved me almost $300, since this was an actual cheaper flight. But the notice (see below) in their email did state that if the flight was more expensive I would have to pay the difference.

The only negative is parking around YUL is more than double than what it is at YOW. So we booked a Holiday Inn close to Airport that allows us to park for 15 days. So in the end the cost is more less the same but so happy it is a direct flight.

Flight is Jan. 14th. We'll both have our 3rd vaccines by next Tuesday, so as of today we do not plan on cancelling. If they change my flight last minute to connecting flights I think I'll cancel. Just hope I don't succumb to the fear.

1399365697_ScreenShot2021-12-15at5_44_35AM.thumb.jpg.3cdb85e74b7b9a948ecd5fd62c7c6ed2.jpg

38 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I wonder if you phoned celebrity flights and asked if they can find you a different direct flight. Wouldn’t hurt to try. I would be upset too. 

Oops. Wrong board. Just realized you didn’t say it was booked with a cruise line. 🤦‍♀️

Another vote for Montreal. We travelled to the US in September with a connection in YYZ.  We had just over 2 hours.  We did make it but it was TIGHT.  We got to our gate in time to get right on the flight. 

They had two officers working at Customs.  One kept getting up and walking away for some reason. They were taking all the Nexus and airline employees at first so when there was only one there, the line didn't move at all.  Finally another one came out and we moved slowly.  I was super stressed ( I NEEDED to be at our destination that day. I didn't realize when I booked it so that added stress.  If it was just a regular travel, I wouldn't have been as worried). 

I also decided at that point I needed Nexus, unfortunately I can't get an interview yet. 

Edited by 1kaper
clarification

Exactly the same thing happened to us for our upcoming April cruise.  WE had direct flights Ottawa to FLL and the inbound flight was changed to a connecting flight in Pearson.  Still have direct flight home to Ottawa.

I called and had it changed to a direct flight from Montreal.  We will take the train to Montreal.  We have done this several times and it works great.  Agree with what others have said about this.  I also keep checking to see if new (direct) flights from Ottawa get added.  

Anything to avoid Pearson...never had a good experience in that airport.

If you have a connector flight and can remain inside the arrival/departure area in the same terminal there should be no issue.  If your bags are checked through to final destination they get moved internally.  If you can remain in arrival/departure area you find a tote board, find departure gate, and go there with out need to pass security again.  Unless flight delays eat up the 2.5 hours you're good.  If you have to move to another terminal then things may get messier, getting your bags, and going through security may cut it close.  We have a similar situation in May, but leave Pearson with a 1.5 hour layover in Ottawa before going on.  Ottawa airport web page specifically states you can remain in arrivals/departure area if you have second boarding pass in hand and bags are checked through.  Do a bit more research and interact with flight provider to see what you need to do.  Regardless, another bit of duress to endure.  Best of luck and hope things work out for the best for you.  Check this out

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections

Edited by ALD18

14 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

If you have a connector flight and can remain inside the arrival/departure area in the same terminal there should be no issue.  If your bags are checked through to final destination they get moved internally.  If you can remain in arrival/departure area you find a tote board, find departure gate, and go there with out need to pass security again.  Unless flight delays eat up the 2.5 hours you're good.  If you have to move to another terminal then things may get messier, getting your bags, and going through security may cut it close.  We have a similar situation in May, but leave Pearson with a 1.5 hour layover in Ottawa before going on.  Ottawa airport web page specifically states you can remain in arrivals/departure area if you have second boarding pass in hand and bags are checked through.  Do a bit more research and interact with flight provider to see what you need to do.  Regardless, another bit of duress to endure.  Best of luck and hope things work out for the best for you.  Check this out

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections

The link you posted says    "Please note you will need additional security screening in Toronto and will pre-clear US Customs before you may access your departure gate."
This is where the issue is.  I have never been able to stay within the arrival/departure area in Toronto that I can recall.  Certainly not for my last few trips.  In order to get to the US gates, you have to leave the secure area which means going through security again. And then pre-clearance at Customs - which is where the biggest hold up was  when I travelled in September. 

As I said, I had over 2 hours and barely made my flight, no flight delays.  People behind us had flights leaving before ours.  They wouldn't let them move to the front of the line (the people in line did allow people to move up)

Edited by 1kaper
clarification

14 hours ago, Froufie said:

SO UPSET - my direct flight to FLL and now changed with a stopover in CRAZY BUSY Pearson airport in Toronto - i am so ticked off.

So what would you do?  Is 2.5 hrs to connect at Pearson enough?  Or is Montreal/later arrival a better plan?  Your thoughts?

Sorry to hear about your travel woes Froufie. 

I agree with what others have mentioned about getting the train to Montreal and flying from there.  Joyce often does this.

Do you have Nexus? If so, you would probably be ok with the YYZ connection, we did it in October and had 3.5 hours in Toronto, made it with no issues, in just about an hour (with Nexus) but there were plenty of upset people going through security/customs. Our flight ended up delayed because people had checked bags and they were on the plane while the people were still going through customs, so we couldn't leave until they got on or their bags got off. Two hour delay. Coming home through Montreal was a breeze. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Sorry to hear about your travel woes Froufie. 

I agree with what others have mentioned about getting the train to Montreal and flying from there.  Joyce often does this.

Thanks Mary!  Checked it out and timing is unfortunately off so sadly not a possibility 😞   Still doing further research - before calling Celebrity to check on how to make any changes!

5 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

Do you have Nexus? If so, you would probably be ok with the YYZ connection, we did it in October and had 3.5 hours in Toronto, made it with no issues, in just about an hour (with Nexus) but there were plenty of upset people going through security/customs. Our flight ended up delayed because people had checked bags and they were on the plane while the people were still going through customs, so we couldn't leave until they got on or their bags got off. Two hour delay. Coming home through Montreal was a breeze. 

Thanks for the info - we do have NEXUS - but still nervous about the 2.5 hrs connection - and that FLL flight is the last one that so so if we miss that would be even messier!  LOL  '

Our return flight is a direct one but somehow I have this very bad feeling that too will vanish soon and we will have to make new return plans as well! 😞 

Thanks for all the input - confirming my decision NOT to go through Pearson if at all possible.  I did book through the cruiseline so will have to call them once we have decided on our options - we do not want to drive to and from Montreal in the winter and leave our car there and the train timing does not seem to work for us either :(.

I assume I may have to pay more $$ if the change in flight costs more?  I also purchased seats on the direct flight and assume I would be reimbursed to repurchase on new flights?  although I bought those online via AC website and not thru Celebrity so unsure how to get that fixed and rebooked?  (sure hoping this does NOT involve some 3 hr hold on a phone call to AC?).  

I see a 2:50 pm flight from YOW to YUL with a 2.5 hr layover to last flight of the day to FLL at 6:15 pm - getting us into FLL very late (10 pm) then to the hotel etc....   I am hoping that with our NEXUS cards, this 2.5 hr layover is more doable than same amount of time in Pearson!

I believe we could still get our antigen test that Monday morning (9 am appt) allowing us to a) board the plan that afternoon and b) board the ship Wed morning - going to sleep on it LOL.

We had those exact same flights from Ottawa to Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on November 25th. It was a breeze. In Montreal we went through to US connections, no need to collect bags, and it was so quiet there we wondered if anyone was flying to the U.S. Once we went through security, which took 2 minutes, we got in line to see the border agent. That was maybe 15 minutes, just because there was only 2 or 3 agents working to handle both connecting flight people and people departing directly from Montreal. We had so much time after we were able to sit down and have a bite to eat. We also got into Fort Lauderdale early, around 9:30. One of the best flight/airport experiences we ever had.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kris75 said:

We had those exact same flights from Ottawa to Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on November 25th. It was a breeze. In Montreal we went through to US connections, no need to collect bags, and it was so quiet there we wondered if anyone was flying to the U.S. Once we went through security, which took 2 minutes, we got in line to see the border agent. That was maybe 15 minutes, just because there was only 2 or 3 agents working to handle both connecting flight people and people departing directly from Montreal. We had so much time after we were able to sit down and have a bite to eat. We also got into Fort Lauderdale early, around 9:30. One of the best flight/airport experiences we ever had.

Wow - that is awesome news - thanks for sharing. Do you have NEXUS by the way?

Now let's hope it's not super duper expensive/extra $$ to switch to these flights.  Plan to call Flights by Celebrity tomorrow (and let's hope I get someone helpful - last call was a huge disappointment as it took forever dealing with someone who had very little experience it seems!)

Edited by Froufie

We get such crappy flights out of Ottawa.  I also book direct flights to Tampa and Fort L with Air Canada - Forget Westjet offering anything direct out of Ottawa. 

Avoid Pearson.  Please.  Can you find someone to drive you to Dorval airport?  How about UBER?  Train is also an option.  What about Flair Airlines?

Good luck.

Could you take the train to Dorval the day before and spend the night at an airport hotel?  There is a Marriott attached to the airport.  We had planned to do this for a cruise last year that of course ended up being cancelled.  

Another option could be the new bus service...don't know anything about it since it is quite new but according to website goes from Ottawa to Dorval. https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Good luck and happy travels

• Like 1