Flights from PHX to MIA -- How does Regent handle?

ysolde

We are moving to Scottsdale early next year (sometime after our upcoming Regent cruise).  In 2023, we have a TA cruise out of Miami, ending in Barcelona.  We have advised our Regent travel advisor of our upcoming move, and she has made the adjustment to our reservation without a problem.  However, I looked up flights between PHX and MIA and noticed that to get to Miami from Phoenix by late morning, you have to fly out around between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am.  There are not a whole lot of options.  A JetBlue flight leaving Phoenix at 11:00 pm and arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 6:15 am.  An AA flight leaving Phoenix at 10:40 pm and landing in Miami at 5:45 am.  There is a SW flight leaving at 5 something in the evening, but that one lands in Miami sometime after midnight.  Would Regent put us on that one and leave us stranded at the airport until morning?

There are flights that land around 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm.  I don't see those working.  So much for the non-stops.

When I plug in flights with connections, I get one flight with a very tight (57 minute) connection in Orlando.  Leaves Phoenix at 10:45, arrives Orlando 5:43. Depart Orlando 6:40.  Arrive Miami 7:49.  This connection seems very tight to me.  Similarly, there is an 11:44 to CLT with a 47 minute connection.  Arrives CLT 6:33.  Departs CLT 7:20.  Arrive FLL 9:21.

What does Regent usually do when flying people from PHX to MIA?  I am assuming it puts people on the non-stops, even if they land very early in the morning.  So that probably means the AA flight (since it lands in Miami)?  I am assuming there will be more and different flight options a year from now.  I just want to get a sense of scheduling.

38 minutes ago, ysolde said:

We are moving to Scottsdale early next year (sometime after our upcoming Regent cruise).  In 2023, we have a TA cruise out of Miami, ending in Barcelona.  We have advised our Regent travel advisor of our upcoming move, and she has made the adjustment to our reservation without a problem.  However, I looked up flights between PHX and MIA and noticed that to get to Miami from Phoenix by late morning, you have to fly out around between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am.  There are not a whole lot of options.  A JetBlue flight leaving Phoenix at 11:00 pm and arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 6:15 am.  An AA flight leaving Phoenix at 10:40 pm and landing in Miami at 5:45 am.  There is a SW flight leaving at 5 something in the evening, but that one lands in Miami sometime after midnight.  Would Regent put us on that one and leave us stranded at the airport until morning?

There are flights that land around 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm.  I don't see those working.  So much for the non-stops.

When I plug in flights with connections, I get one flight with a very tight (57 minute) connection in Orlando.  Leaves Phoenix at 10:45, arrives Orlando 5:43. Depart Orlando 6:40.  Arrive Miami 7:49.  This connection seems very tight to me.  Similarly, there is an 11:44 to CLT with a 47 minute connection.  Arrives CLT 6:33.  Departs CLT 7:20.  Arrive FLL 9:21.

What does Regent usually do when flying people from PHX to MIA?  I am assuming it puts people on the non-stops, even if they land very early in the morning.  So that probably means the AA flight (since it lands in Miami)?  I am assuming there will be more and different flight options a year from now.  I just want to get a sense of scheduling.

Ysolde - Remember, when flying eastbound (from Phoenix to Miami) you have time zones "working against you".  There's no way you can leave Phoenix in the morning (between 6AM and 9AM)....and ALSO arrive in Miami on the same morning (unless you're flying in an Air Force F-35 at Mach1-2 with in-flight refueling somewhere over Texas/Louisiana).  Flying non-stop, it's a 4 hour flight between PHX and MIA as well as a 3 hours time difference during the summer months (Day light Savings Time - AZ doesn't observe DST) and a 2 hours time difference during the winter months.

Don't forget that if using Regent Air and Regent's provided pre-cruise hotel (Concierge and above), you'll leave PHX in the morning on the day before the flight....stay overnight in a Regent-provided hotel in Miami....and then be taken to the ship from the hotel on the morning of "Cruise Day".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Ysolde - Remember, when flying eastbound (from Phoenix to Miami) you have time zones "working against you".  There's no way you can leave Phoenix in the morning (between 6AM and 9AM)....and ALSO arrive in Miami on the same morning (unless you're flying in an Air Force F-35 at Mach1-2 with in-flight refueling somewhere over Texas/Louisiana).  Flying non-stop, it's a 4 hour flight between PHX and MIA as well as a 3 hours time difference during the summer months (Day light Savings Time - AZ doesn't observe DST) and a 2 hours time difference during the winter months.

Don't forget that if using Regent Air and Regent's provided pre-cruise hotel (Concierge and above), you'll leave PHX in the morning on the day before the flight....stay overnight in a Regent-provided hotel in Miami....and then be taken to the ship from the hotel on the morning of "Cruise Day".

Well said. Remember that the flights will be in coach. We live near Tucson and fly out of PHX. We stay in Tempe for a morning flight to MIA most of the time on American Air the day before the cruise.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Thanks.  When I started thinking about the time difference is when I started to play with the flight dates/times and realized we were going to have to fly out the night before.  We don't have a pre-cruise hotel, so it looks like our flight options are limited.  That's why I was curious as to what Regent prefers in these circumstances: non-stops into Miami, non-stops into Fort Lauderdale, flights with a very tight connection somewhere that end up in Miami?  I sort of feel like I need to mentally prepare.

I'm from Tucson too, and always pay for the deviation to have flexibility on both ends of my cruise.  I fly in a day early to Miami and stay at one of the airport Hampton Inns. Then flying home from Europe I'm able to choose the best option. Worth the $175 per person for the flexibility for me. Get to choose my flights 270 days out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I'm from Tucson too, and always pay for the deviation to have flexibility on both ends of my cruise.  I fly in a day early to Miami and stay at one of the airport Hampton Inns. Then flying home from Europe I'm able to choose the best option. Worth the $175 per person for the flexibility for me. Get to choose my flights 270 days out.

Hi, just a suggestion in PHX we stay overnight at the Hyatt Place Tempe they let us park at no charge. We have parked for as much as 30 days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

This is the best way to go……..just makes it a lot easier. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, ysolde said:

Hi,

We're in Scottsdale and used the Regent flights for a Miami cruise a few years ago.  They booked us on the AA redeye nonstop flight departing around midnight and arriving very early in the AM.  Then we waited at the airport for the Regent supplied transfer, then waited for quite a while at the pier for them to open boarding, then waited on the ship to get into our cabin and nap...

For our upcoming Regent cruise from Miami, we turned down the Regent flight and booked our own for the day before (arriving around 8pm).  We can get a hotel wherever we want and Uber to the pier when we want. 

If that doesn't work for you, you also check on a deviation to arrive the day before but that costs extra and doesn't include the transfer or the hotel, I believe. 

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, azjoy said:

Hi,

We're in Scottsdale and used the Regent flights for a Miami cruise a few years ago.  They booked us on the AA redeye nonstop flight departing around midnight and arriving very early in the AM.  Then we waited at the airport for the Regent supplied transfer, then waited for quite a while at the pier for them to open boarding, then waited on the ship to get into our cabin and nap...

For our upcoming Regent cruise from Miami, we turned down the Regent flight and booked our own for the day before (arriving around 8pm).  We can get a hotel wherever we want and Uber to the pier when we want. 

If that doesn't work for you, you also check on a deviation to arrive the day before but that costs extra and doesn't include the transfer or the hotel, I believe. 

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!         

Thanks!  Not sure what we are going to do, but it's good to know what the options are.

Unfortunately, the days of flying to any cruise on embarkation day are over — at least for now. Flights have been reduced since the pandemic. Even before that, airline reliability was not good. Most have learned to plan for a hotel overnight on the way to a cruise, even one that embarks in the US.

• Like 1

To add, don't count on non-stops.  Depending on the flights and costs Regent tends to send you as the lower cost flights so expect if using Regent Air without deviation to arrive on a Red Eye early in the AM of departure day with lots of waiting at the airport and cruise port before boarding.  Much better to deviate or book your own flights.