Getting around islands like Cozumel

bthomas67wagon

When I visited Cozumel a couple years ago (from a cruise), I took a taxi/cab down the street (like 2 miles for $20) and the options were very limited, since there was no Uber or Lyft. I was nervous to take a taxi/cab to the other side of island or into Cozumel and get stuck with no taxi/cab to get me back to the cruise port.

(Instead I rented a scooter and about died 3-5 times with in 60 mins. NEVER will I do that again!!)

Question: How do you get around an island like Cozumel? 

Out of all of the methods I have tried (bus, foot, taxi, rental car, scooter, etc), rental car and bus have been my favorite. Many busses will take you to the big stops at pennies on the dollar. Rental cars can also usually be had for reasonable prices for the day and to go at your own pace. Obviously, each option has its pros and cons though.

Just be very careful when renting. You're not in Kansas anymore. Get the insurance.

Side story. (Factual unknown)

Someone rented a car. They were turning into a driveway to go to the beach. Unknown to them, the family on bicycles on the side road actually had the right of way. Tourist hit the family on bikes. Tourist in the wrong. The "Tourist Policia" attempted to settle the matter. (Cash payout to family for medical and future lost income). Tourist was not able to secure the situation within 2 hours. Tourist Policia had to turn the situation over to the Federalia Policia. Not a good outcome for the tourist.

Rental - I would prefer to not rent and deal with the inflated cost of the insurance and then trying to deal with 3rd world country traffic (seriously it was insane on a scooter not getting hit or hitting people). I would rather spend the money and just have someone else pick me up, drop me off and not deal w any of the other issues. (but that is why I am here asking about options I don't know about)

Current Environment - ??? Something going on in Cozumel recently that I am not aware of?

"The east side of the island is gorgeous.  In your round trip, you can visit Chankanaab, Punta Sur, lunch at Coconuts, and El Cedral Mayan ruins" - YES!! Those are some of the spots I wanted to go!!

(All good info in this thread, thanks!!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseGeekGuy said:

Better you than me.

Have you had a problem with taxis in Cozumel?

We have used them regularly for about 6 weeks for land visits this year without incident. My pet peeve from the cruise ports are the taxi vans that load  up  and try  to  charge per couple instead of per taxi although I somewhat understand the logistic difficulties of trying to charge different sized groups within a van. On land visits we always ask price before getting in. On cruise ship days we either accept it from the cruise terminal and forgo tip (not actually usual  in Mexico but expected in areas like Cozumel with  American tourists) or walk out onto street and get a taxi for two at the correct rate.

@bthomas67wagon

Taxi prices are posted at the port - if you paid $20 for 2 miles, you were definitely overcharged.

We would personally never rent a vehicle but if you do be sure to do your homework regarding insurance and liability. The above is not the only cautionary tale and certainly not something we would risk on a cruise ship day when time is of the essence. Many accidents involving scooters, especially on the old highway to southern beach clubs and in town with alternate one-way streets.

You are right to be nervous of not being able to get a taxi back from east side (again, especially on a cruise ship day) and I would recommend negotiating at the port to have a taxi for a number of hours to stay with you while you tour. Alternatively arrange for a private taxi driver in advance and discuss exactly where you want to visit - we have often used ToursPlaza.

If you are traveling solo or as a couple, the Cozumel Bar Hop is an excellent, well-organized, cost-effective way to see the east side but you will forgo the flexibility you have with your own driver.

Not understanding your comment about - current situation?

Not aware of any busses on Cozumel other than the cruise ship tour busses or local Collectivos, around town that are unlikely to take you to any of the tourist places you want to visit.

• Like 1

c-leg5 - any idea on how much a taxi cab would be to rent for about 5 hours?  I want to visit Punta Sur Eco Park but also wasn't sure if there would be cabs waiting there to bring us back throughout the day - wasn't sure where the "east side" of the island started.

We have rented a jeep before but it was like 14 years ago and the area has grown so much since then so I'm sure its not quiet as easy to navigate everything.  I want to say it was like $80 then including the insurances but the prices I see for Jan time frame are close to $150 and Im not sure if that included insurance.  I'm assuming an all day taxi will be less?

@c-leg5 "Taxi prices are posted at the port - if you paid $20 for 2 miles, you were definitely overcharged." - I agree, but didn't know what else to do. I mapped it just now and was a 3 min drive and the distance was .93 miles. Live and learn I guess. When you said the taxi prices are posted at the port, can you provide more details?

Scooter - I found a place to rent a scooter that was close to the port. IIRC is was fairly cheap, but the insurance was like 3 times the price of the rental and they required I give them my cruise card/pass as collateral. I was extremely nervous about the whole deal and felt shady. I refused the insurance and noticed some talking between a couple of the guys and whom I was dealing with. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but one of them jumped on a scooter and started following me, almost trying to cause and accident to force me into paying for damage or ??? More then once I found myself going the wrong way and about getting hit, having trucks full of fully armed men running me off the road and not being able to find anywhere to park, I decided to say screw it and returned it. BUT not before sitting at a road and the damn scooter started to accelerate into  crossing traffic. (I about pissed myself after apologizing to some pedestrians that I almost mowed down) (trust me I have more stories about that 1 hr of Cozumel HELL, but won't rant about it...)

8 hours ago, bthomas67wagon said:

@c-leg5 "Taxi prices are posted at the port - if you paid $20 for 2 miles, you were definitely overcharged." - I agree, but didn't know what else to do. I mapped it just now and was a 3 min drive and the distance was .93 miles. Live and learn I guess. When you said the taxi prices are posted at the port, can you provide more details?

Scooter - I found a place to rent a scooter that was close to the port. IIRC is was fairly cheap, but the insurance was like 3 times the price of the rental and they required I give them my cruise card/pass as collateral. I was extremely nervous about the whole deal and felt shady. I refused the insurance and noticed some talking between a couple of the guys and whom I was dealing with. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but one of them jumped on a scooter and started following me, almost trying to cause and accident to force me into paying for damage or ??? More then once I found myself going the wrong way and about getting hit, having trucks full of fully armed men running me off the road and not being able to find anywhere to park, I decided to say screw it and returned it. BUT not before sitting at a road and the damn scooter started to accelerate into  crossing traffic. (I about pissed myself after apologizing to some pedestrians that I almost mowed down) (trust me I have more stories about that 1 hr of Cozumel HELL, but won't rant about it...)

From 2016

2016 Dream Cruise Cozumel (23).JPG

Edited by Elaine5715

On 12/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, bthomas67wagon said:

The boards with fares are at dispatch. Also boards at some of the beach clubs and ferry pier in town.

https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/

On 12/24/2021 at 10:55 AM, cmp03 said:

c-leg5 - any idea on how much a taxi cab would be to rent for about 5 hours?  I want to visit Punta Sur Eco Park but also wasn't sure if there would be cabs waiting there to bring us back throughout the day - wasn't sure where the "east side" of the island started.

We have rented a jeep before but it was like 14 years ago and the area has grown so much since then so I'm sure its not quiet as easy to navigate everything.  I want to say it was like $80 then including the insurances but the prices I see for Jan time frame are close to $150 and Im not sure if that included insurance.  I'm assuming an all day taxi will be less?

Taxi rates are posted at the piers.

https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/

This shows about $100 for 3 hours, estimate another $25/hour extra. Someone on CC posted  they paid about $130 for 4-5 hours plus tip. You may do better outside the port dispatch area, where drivers are trying to pick up a quick fare without waiting in line.

We generally book a driver in advance from ToursPlaza so we know who we are getting, the rate and that they will speak English. We have been doing this for years but it is certainly not the cheapest option. There are several other driver contacts listed on TA Cozumel forum regularly if you want to pre-book.

I would certainly not rely on getting a waiting taxi back from the east side. It is possible but cell phone signal is limited on that side and I wouldn’t  risk it when I had a ship to catch. I have contacted the beach bar at Punta Sur before in the past and asked about taxis and they say they will call for one but again I am not sure I would risk it on a cruise ship day. The  old owners use to arrange a package with transport included, not sure about the current owners. Personally I would stick with having my own driver stay. YMMV.

I would say that Palancar is the last beach club going south where you could reliably get a taxi back. Anything between Rastas and Punta Morena/Mezcalitos I consider east side.

The Bar Hop is an economical option for 1/2 people to see the east side but you will not get to Punta Sur.

• Thanks 1