Feeling a bit like a vulture…..

CarolSW

…..but wondering if there will be quite a few passenger cancellations this weekend due to CoVid concerns, positive tests, and cancelled flights.

We are enbarking on a Carnival ship tomorrow, and we are booked for our first inside cabin because it was a good deal.

I am musing that we maybe have a chance to get an upgrade/upsell to a better cabin if there are a number of last minute cancellations.  

I have checked our emails AND the “To-Do” list on our Carnival booking, and no “up” offers appear in either place.

We are checking in early, 10 am, it is our first Platinum cruise.  Is it worth it to ask at check-in if there might be an outside or even a balcony cabin available for us at a reasonable upsell?  I guess it never hurts to ask, right?  Wonder what the odds are?  I have never inquired about this before in the 20+ cruises we have taken.

Any advice?

Thanks anyone who has any thoughts to share.

CarolSW

It's too bad your cruise is so soon. I'm hoping some rates go down myself .. might book if rates drop. At current rates idk. I'm looking at may .. already booked closer in. 

My sept 18 so far is only rate that dropped. 

Seems like a lot of negativity on cc boards today  .. I'm with you .. maybe ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Im cruising tomorrow and many people on my roll call got upgrades all last week.

Right now there are A LOT of cabins avalaible but no one has mentioned getting an upgrade.

But yeah guest services when you board would be a good idea. Can't hurt to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Im cruising tomorrow and many people on my roll call got upgrades all last week.

Right now there are A LOT of cabins avalaible but no one has mentioned getting an upgrade.

But yeah guest services when you board would be a good idea. Can't hurt to ask.

Upsells...they aren't giving free upgrades

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Upsells...they aren't giving free upgrades

Yes. Correct.

Upsells of $100 to $1000 per cabin.

Most of the upsells were full priced cabins. Some had a lot of OBC but their actual cabin cost was regular rate.

At least thats what I'm telling myself as to why I didn't get an upgrade/upsell 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Most of the upsells were full priced cabins.

Good point, I think a lot of people get caught up in the moment when that upsell offer is made.

I have my notes with my total and the categories above mine when I booked.

My cruise is in 11 days and the price has come down a little. If I'm offered an upsell I will know a good deal when I see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sure, you have wasted a hour of your vacation to be told no.

Its been working on one of the other carnival owned cruiselines.   Free upgrades available just by stopping by guest services when you get on the boat.

I don’t think you will get an upsell email. Usually what people do is a mock booking, notice that the higher level cabin is selling at just a little more than they paid, and call to upsell themselves. The problem with flight cancellation and covid cancellations is they won’t know who is coming and who isn’t until after the ship sails.

22 hours ago, CarolSW said:

…..but wondering if there will be quite a few passenger cancellations this weekend due to CoVid concerns, positive tests, and cancelled flights.

We are enbarking on a Carnival ship tomorrow, and we are booked for our first inside cabin because it was a good deal.

I am musing that we maybe have a chance to get an upgrade/upsell to a better cabin if there are a number of last minute cancellations.  

I have checked our emails AND the “To-Do” list on our Carnival booking, and no “up” offers appear in either place.

We are checking in early, 10 am, it is our first Platinum cruise.  Is it worth it to ask at check-in if there might be an outside or even a balcony cabin available for us at a reasonable upsell?  I guess it never hurts to ask, right?  Wonder what the odds are?  I have never inquired about this before in the 20+ cruises we have taken.

Any advice?

Thanks anyone who has any thoughts to share.

CarolSW

Call your carnival vacation planner, I upgraded from inside to ocean view for $10 just a week before the cruise. 

2 hours ago, cmp03 said:

Its been working on one of the other carnival owned cruiselines.   Free upgrades available just by stopping by guest services when you get on the boat.

I doubt that but Carnival GS always has the "NO AVAILABILTY" sign out even now.  It is a PITA changing room assignments at the last minute and they are certainly not giving away more expensive staterooms onboard.  It is the same as thinking once you get onboard  a plane you can get move yourself up from the cheap seats to first class.  

• Like 2

UPDATE:

We went to Guest Services as soon as we boarded and were told no upsells available.

Later, after sailaway and dinner, we noticed a number of cabins in our spa area hallway still had their sign&sail cards in their mailboxes.  We wondered if these were no-shows, so went back to Guest Services to inquire again.  This time we mentioned we saw what appeared to perhaps be no-shows, and could we maybe take advantage of that.  First they said that it is possible that some guests just have not yet gone to their (spa balcony) cabin yet (this was 3 hours AFTER sailaway), and then said that all upsells would have to happen BEFORE boarding the ship due to CDC regulations.  Not sure how accurate that it, but it sounds possible.  

So we will settle in to our cozy inside cabin (with spa privileges!).  It is fine, really.  I kinda of like the limited space.  Not as many decisions about where to put things, there aren't that many choices!  And I hear we will sleep well because it is so dark, so looking forward to that!  There IS an unusual noise coming from the wall against the inside, and it was there before we set sail.  It sort of sounds mechanical.  I suspect we are up against some of the inner workings of the ship, and I guess we will get used to it.  I have sleep headphones so maybe they will come in handy!

I am really wanting to love this inside cabin so we can sail for less for the rest of our sailing days lol. 

For anyone hoping to snag an upsell after boarding, I don't think it's going to happen. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Glad you're still gonna make the best of your cruise irregardless of the decision Guest Services maintained about your inquiry.  

I didn't know if was possible to ever change your room once aboard - it wasn't until I recently watched a YT channel from 2 friends onboard the Mardi Gras who stated they were upset with their inside cabin.  Don't remember if they had a guarantee cabin or it was one they selected but it slept 4 and they were upset about the upper bunks obstructing areas of the the beds below.  From their video, they stated they went to guest services to complain and by that evening receive word they would be moved to a new cabin.  They went from an inside room to a balcony.  

So possibly, if the noise continues to be a bother in your cabin - a 3rd visit to guest services may have a different resolution for you.  I understand during normal pre-pandemic circumstances chances of being moved are slim to none but like you said - there are clearly no shows on your floor so apart from your time, what can it hurt?

• Like 1

We're fortunate to enjoy our inside cabin sailings nearly as much as we enjoy our balcony cabin sailings.  We aren't 'only in our cabins to sleep and shower' people either - we spend a decent chunk of our waking hours there, and lately we eat many of our meals in the room.  At the end of the day, though, we'd happily take six cruises in an inside over two in a balcony!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CarolSW said:

UPDATE:

We went to Guest Services as soon as we boarded and were told no upsells available.

Later, after sailaway and dinner, we noticed a number of cabins in our spa area hallway still had their sign&sail cards in their mailboxes.  We wondered if these were no-shows, so went back to Guest Services to inquire again.  This time we mentioned we saw what appeared to perhaps be no-shows, and could we maybe take advantage of that.  First they said that it is possible that some guests just have not yet gone to their (spa balcony) cabin yet (this was 3 hours AFTER sailaway), and then said that all upsells would have to happen BEFORE boarding the ship due to CDC regulations.  Not sure how accurate that it, but it sounds possible.  

So we will settle in to our cozy inside cabin (with spa privileges!).  It is fine, really.  I kinda of like the limited space.  Not as many decisions about where to put things, there aren't that many choices!  And I hear we will sleep well because it is so dark, so looking forward to that!  There IS an unusual noise coming from the wall against the inside, and it was there before we set sail.  It sort of sounds mechanical.  I suspect we are up against some of the inner workings of the ship, and I guess we will get used to it.  I have sleep headphones so maybe they will come in handy!

I am really wanting to love this inside cabin so we can sail for less for the rest of our sailing days lol. 

For anyone hoping to snag an upsell after boarding, I don't think it's going to happen. 

Sleep tight. For some destination, I will only sail insides. Ex. Alaska. It stays light outside until 10 - 11 pm sometimes. I cannot sleep with the light. Even with the black out curtains, they can sway sometimes and the moving shadows are very distracting for me. So I have to do an inside for those destinations.

• Like 1