Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

22 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

Viking is losing a ton of money on this WC. I believe that the only reason Viking is running this WC is for the PR value. They can brag about keeping us safe and Covid free. However, the downside is that we are basically prisoners in our “bubble”. We can not associate with anyone nor can we go off on our own. Only time will tell if we as passengers made the right decision to stay on board. Right now, I agree with the people who got off or cancelled. We stayed on board because we were curious on what would happen. So far, the lockdown is a huge negative. 

While I agree that the lockdown is a huge negative, so far I am happy that we did not cancel and are really enjoying our cruise. One huge positive is the low number of guests- ca. 500 - compared to 800-900+ that would normally be on. Also Chef Thomas is fabulous and the officers and crew have been great. But we are hoping for the lockdown to end when we get to the Med. Had our first local entertainment the other night which was wonderful (from Chile) - hope that continues!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Per the cruise director, all of them had to go through multiple tests before they were allowed to board. No details were given other than that. Given how strict Viking is, I'm sure they were heavily vetted for compliance to Viking's standards before they were booked to perform.

As for the saliva test, I usually am up earlier for a...let's call it comfort visit...and do mine then. Then, I get Arlona up just before 8, she does hers, we put them on a magnet clip and slap it on the outside of the door and climb back in bed for another 30 minutes or so.  We've seen several rooms that put them out before they go to bed. You just can't eat or drink anything nor brush your teeth 30 minutes before doing the test.

Great news that we can do it the night before! We aren't early risers. Thanks!!!

On 2/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, Mich3554 said:

On out B2B2B, we had 2 fabulous brunches, seafood night at the pool, multiple themed nights.  I think I had lobster 5 nights in the 54 days we were on the ship.  The chocolate extravaganza we had on our South American cruise Christmas Eve.  

No "seafood night" on the Sea in November.  Asked quite a few employees when it was and no one knew.  They acted like they never heard of it.  Our cruise was a trip of a lifetime  and yes, unfortunately I am bitter about our experience still... 

I'm a little late to the game.  My wife & I have done two 14 night NYE cruises on Viking (2017/2018 NZ to Australia and 2018/2019 round trip Miami with partial PC transit).  They did a New Year's Day pool deck/Wintergarden brunch on both cruises that was incredible!  Both were after the great and fun NYE party on the pool deck.  

Edited by imcpa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 43/152 - Puerto Montt, Chile - Lost the Emerald, but oh, those volcanos!

With respect to being notified of delays. I believe you mentioned the ship was scheduled to anchor, which is a process that takes only a few minutes, so no need to arrive too early.

The decision to change from anchor to alongside is not the Masters, as that is a decision of the Harbourmaster. This information can be received even after the pilot boards, so the ship most likely had no advance notice. In these situations, the pax are normally informed within minutes of the Master receiving the information, as I have seen the Cruise Director stationed on the Bridge for this reason.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With respect to being notified of delays. I believe you mentioned the ship was scheduled to anchor, which is a process that takes only a few minutes, so no need to arrive too early.

The decision to change from anchor to alongside is not the Masters, as that is a decision of the Harbourmaster. This information can be received even after the pilot boards, so the ship most likely had no advance notice. In these situations, the pax are normally informed within minutes of the Master receiving the information, as I have seen the Cruise Director stationed on the Bridge for this reason.

Regardless, asking pax to be in place five minutes prior to the initial planned anchor time when tenders would still need to be deployed wasn't good planning.  And, we were almost immediately being tugged in, so they had to know at least five to ten minutes earlier.  All I'm saying is that communication can be improved.  It's been an ongoing issue.  Regardless, the day was great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Regardless, asking pax to be in place five minutes prior to the initial planned anchor time when tenders would still need to be deployed wasn't good planning.  And, we were almost immediately being tugged in, so they had to know at least five to ten minutes earlier.  All I'm saying is that communication can be improved.  It's been an ongoing issue.  Regardless, the day was great.

Based on the Viking tendering system, it would have worked perfectly had the ship actually anchored. The tenders are prepared at the falls and unlike other cruise lines that must prepare/launch pontoons, rig stairs, etc Viking load the tenders straight from the Shell Door. Therefore, all that is required is to lower the tenders from the Falls and bring them alongside.

The first tender is always filled with crew and the various materials they use ashore, but the 2nd tenders often start taking pax ashore. I have seen pax loading into tenders within 5 to 10 min of the ship being brought up. Having worked way too many tender ports, I was very impressed with the simplicity of Viking's system.

The requested report time for tours must also allow for those pax which are invariably late. If we were on the first tour out, reporting before being anchored is normal, and we were normally in a tender and heading ashore within minutes of being anchored. They must also consider it can also take some people 5 - 10 minutes to walk from the Theatre to the Deck 1 x-alleyway shell door.

I'm not commenting on previous communications issues, but in this situation, how can the Captain improve the communications to the pax if he has not yet received the information from the Harbourmaster. Based on the ship's AIS, the Captain had at least another 1 kt of speed available during the transit, so if he had been notified earlier the ship was docking, he would have increased speed and arrived earlier.

35 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Based on the Viking tendering system, it would have worked perfectly had the ship actually anchored. The tenders are prepared at the falls and unlike other cruise lines that must prepare/launch pontoons, rig stairs, etc Viking load the tenders straight from the Shell Door. Therefore, all that is required is to lower the tenders from the Falls and bring them alongside.

The first tender is always filled with crew and the various materials they use ashore, but the 2nd tenders often start taking pax ashore. I have seen pax loading into tenders within 5 to 10 min of the ship being brought up. Having worked way too many tender ports, I was very impressed with the simplicity of Viking's system.

The requested report time for tours must also allow for those pax which are invariably late. If we were on the first tour out, reporting before being anchored is normal, and we were normally in a tender and heading ashore within minutes of being anchored. They must also consider it can also take some people 5 - 10 minutes to walk from the Theatre to the Deck 1 x-alleyway shell door.

I'm not commenting on previous communications issues, but in this situation, how can the Captain improve the communications to the pax if he has not yet received the information from the Harbourmaster. Based on the ship's AIS, the Captain had at least another 1 kt of speed available during the transit, so if he had been notified earlier the ship was docking, he would have increased speed and arrived earlier.

On the first half of the Ultimate WC we tendered at Puerto Montt and it was a very short, completely calm ride to the pictured floating stairs.  Must have taken lots more effort to dock for very little disembark/embark savings.  Maybe they loaded a stores container.  Who knows?

Yesterday as various blogs reported was a great day around Osorno Volcano, Petrohue Falls,  and Puerto Varas. We had great weather once the fog and clouds burned off and the views were spectacular. This morning going though the Darwin Channel was also spectacular and we really are looking forward to seeing Amalia and Brujo glaciers tomorrow and further passage through the Chilean Fjords.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 3.49.09 PM.png

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Yesterday as various blogs reported was a great day around Osorno Volcano, Petrohue Falls,  and Puerto Varas. We had great weather once the fog and clouds burned off and the views were spectacular. This morning going though the Darwin Channel was also spectacular and we really are looking forward to seeing Amalia and Brujo glaciers tomorrow and further passage through the Chilean Fjords.

I spent a week in Puerto Varas in 2000. Great place! The town has some of Chile’s best restaurants.

• Like 1

Your nature shots are really beautiful.  Garry, my mouth is watering from your superb photos.  The rack of lamb looks especially fine, along with everything else on offer.  They must have put their best chef on your cruise.  On our Dec. Greek Odyssey voyage, I didn't remember many themed dinners.  They did provide a Greek lunch buffet one day, and it was spectacular!  I know you're enjoying the cuisine, as did I.  We mainly had dinner in the MDR, but next time, we'll be heading to buffet.  You paid alot, and they sure are delivering!  Really enjoying your blog!  Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed (and just a bit envious) !

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Amalia Glacier7B274D5B-3F86-463D-A03D-7E22C07779F5.thumb.jpeg.f418f0f351cbcddf32093645e4d14600.jpeg

Jim

Thats the same one we made an unannounced stop at in 2008 aboard Norwegian Sun. It doesn’t appear to be as ice bergy as when we were there so hope they can find enough glacier ice for your cocktails. 

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Jim

Thats the same one we made an unannounced stop at in 2008 aboard Norwegian Sun. It doesn’t appear to be as ice bergy as when we were there so hope they can find enough glacier ice for your cocktails. 

One rescued ice bergy!

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 4.38.46 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, JM0115 said:

23 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

Day 25~ In which we learn the true meaning of the word "waiter."

https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-25-in-which-we-learn-true.html

Day 26~ Hot times in the land of active volcanoes

https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-26-puerto-montt-chile-with-little.html

I always learn something from your posts!

On 2/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

They can test me all they want.  It's no big deal to provide a sample (was by 8:30 this past summer) and I suspect it's no big deal for those techs to process saliva samples.  They're used to handling more than just saliva.  Mr. Hagan is a smart man.  Now his ships are able to go lots of places, even if a country requires a PCR test within the past 24 hours.  He doesn't have to worry about sending tests out and getting results back in time for a ship to open its doors. This summer I'm cruising on another line to (hopefully) multiple countries with currently multiple requirements.  In a way I wish it were Viking, as  missing any port, whether due to weather or Covid, is disappointing.  But travel doesn't always go as planned. 

So very true! We just disembarked the Orion, the first ship to visit French Polynesia from outside since the pandemic began. I'm sure it's because of Viking's strict Covid protocols! Although we had a case (one?) on the way over from LA, discovered after we had sailed (CDC-required pre board test and Viking test upon embarkation were negative! not me BTW 😜), by the time we arrived in Tahiti, EVERYONE onboard was testing negative! And continued to do so until we were almost ready to head back. Then we had one more case. And only one, thank you very much Viking!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1