Test Kits in Short Supply Nationally

mcrcruiser

24 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

We ordered the BinaxNow kits through Princess since we'll be flying in 2 days before we board ship.  I plan to use my iPhone for the proctored test.  Not being very technical, I'm concerned the phone will go into sleep mode during the 15 minute wait and the test would be invalid.  Was that a problem for you?  

You can turn your sleep or darkness mode off.  Just google your phone type how to turn off sleep mode. 

iphone … click on these…

settings..

Accessibility …

Display….

Auto brightness…turn off

You msy want to plug in phone charger

while you’re doing this so battery stays fully charged

Phones are a little different, just check your model.

• Thanks 1

I got tested yesterday at Instant Urgent Care Center for my cruise on the Grand tomorrow.  It was super easy.  Made the appt. online a few days beforehand.  The test was drive-up and only took a few minutes.  Results came back less than 2 hours later.  The test is free for California residents.  They will bill your insurance if you are insured or the government if you are not.  I went to the location in Rocklin, CA, but they have several locations throughout, CA.  I plan on using them again for my 1/6 cruise on the Ruby.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I object 2 said:

We ordered the BinaxNow kits through Princess since we'll be flying in 2 days before we board ship.  I plan to use my iPhone for the proctored test.  Not being very technical, I'm concerned the phone will go into sleep mode during the 15 minute wait and the test would be invalid.  Was that a problem for you?  

It’s likely your phone won’t go to sleep because the meeting/call is open the whole time and keeps your phone awake natively. You should keep your phone plugged in during the test however, for extra security. 

We sail Enchanted Princess tomorrow so needed to test on Tuesday the 28th.  Luckily for us, there is a clinic in the DSM airport so we tested prior to checking our bags for flight.  If it was positive, we’d just have to go home.  The results came back in 15 minutes to my email and a text message.  That was longest 15 minutes of my life!  Glad to have that done prior to flying as it was a long day with freezing rain in Des Moines ( de-ice plane twice and runway) which delayed us about 45 minutes….then when we got to Chicago, it started with a wintry mix of freezing rain/snow….so that plane was de-iced.  By the time we got onboard….it was snowing pretty heavy and we were lined up on runway over an hour for our plane to depart (waiting our turn).  

Florida never looked better then when we got here.  Was glad that was all done and we could relax.  This morning, it was 6 degrees back home, but 77 here!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

It’s likely your phone won’t go to sleep because the meeting/call is open the whole time and keeps your phone awake natively. You should keep your phone plugged in during the test however, for extra security. 

ChangeOrder is right.  I didn't have to worry about sleep mode.  It stayed on whole time.

I also had my phone plugged in closeby..... you just have to be careful not to knock it over

during the test. 

Also, give yourself plenty of space on your table so your kit isn't sitting on the edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

ChangeOrder is right.  I didn't have to worry about sleep mode.  It stayed on whole time.

I also had my phone plugged in closeby..... you just have to be careful not to knock it over

during the test. 

Also, give yourself plenty of space on your table so your kit isn't sitting on the edge.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

during the test. 

Thank you for that info also.

We will be sailing in a party of four adults.  I was thinking of ordering 2 of the three packs from the Optum site.  This way we could test the four of us and still have two as either spares or backups.  Does each person need to order the kits for themselves, or can I order the six tests for all of us?

Thanks in advance.

No, each person does Not have to order kits for themselves.  (thats how it started out originally,

but thats Not how its done anymore)

You CAN order for your whole group.  But they will each need their own Navica acct. when

its time to test. 

Can watch one of the many vids online to see how its done.

We did that, plus used one of our Test kits ahead of time, so we could do a dry run HOW to do it.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We will be sailing in a party of four adults.  I was thinking of ordering 2 of the three packs from the Optum site.  This way we could test the four of us and still have two as either spares or backups.  Does each person need to order the kits for themselves, or can I order the six tests for all of us?

Thanks in advance.

If you are ordering 6 check with Emed instead of Optum it’s $50 cheaper.

Double check expiration dates. 
You can order them all.

• Thanks 1

For those who don't mind doing zoom, FaceTime, Skype; my sis got kits at her local Walgreens  (Morgan Hill, CA) and was able to register / have an online witnessed test. She said plenty on the shelf. 

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

For those who don't mind doing zoom, FaceTime, Skype; my sis got kits at her local Walgreens  (Morgan Hill, CA) and was able to register / have an online witnessed test. She said plenty on the shelf. 

What brand uses zoom, FaceTime, Skype from Walgreens?  I dislike paying for shipping especially since the ones promoted by Princess are expensive to start with.  Not for me...I am still old school and prefer to find a vendor in California.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, I object 2 said:

We plan to bring a laptop to do our test from the hotel we are staying in prior to the cruise.  Too many potential problems with using the phone.

3 hours ago, travelhound said:

We plan to bring a laptop to do our test from the hotel we are staying in prior to the cruise.  Too many potential problems with using the phone.

Yes, there could be problems using the iPhone, especially after the last iOS update.   We have smartphones and iPads....no laptop.   Keeping our fingers crossed!