Pre cruise Covid testing question

forgap

We are embarking on Explorer on the 19th from San Diego.   Regent plans to do a rapid test prior to boarding but encourages testing prior to leaving home.  We are leaving home on the 13th and plan to get a PCR test 48-72 hours before our flight (the timing window keeps changing).  I want to retest in California and regent has provided links to travel clinics.  Is there any reason why we can’t go to CVS or Walgreens?  My fear is testing positive pier side with an antigen test.  Am I overthinking this?  

14 minutes ago, forgap said:

.......Is there any reason why we can’t go to CVS or Walgreens?  My fear is testing positive pier side with an antigen test.  Am I overthinking this?  

Here is the problem as I see it. Right now, because of the Omicron surge, it is almost impossible to get a "same day" covid test. In fact, CVS is booking 2 weeks out right now. You will probably need to schedule a same day test at a "pay for" testing clinic. I would suggest you book one today. Omicion is crazy here in Cal, everyone is trying to get tested.

J

We came in from Alabama on Saturday for our Mariner cruise on Wednesday.  My husband arranged for our CVS tests in SF a little more than a week ago.  We took the PCR test today.  We received the results in a hour.  We are negative.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, forgap said:

We are embarking on Explorer on the 19th from San Diego.   Regent plans to do a rapid test prior to boarding but encourages testing prior to leaving home.  We are leaving home on the 13th and plan to get a PCR test 48-72 hours before our flight (the timing window keeps changing).  I want to retest in California and regent has provided links to travel clinics.  Is there any reason why we can’t go to CVS or Walgreens?  My fear is testing positive pier side with an antigen test.  Am I overthinking this?  

We are planning to schedule a test for Monday 1/17 at a local CVS. We will schedule it 11 days out, the max allowed on their website. Still trying to decide whether to get a PCR or antigen test. The travel clinics that Regent links to are very expensive. And yes we could test positive at the dock two days later, but we don’t plan to be doing much out in public for the intervening two days. 

• Like 1

Regent now says guests should get a test within 72 hours of their travel date. What is considered the travel date: the date you leave home if you are flying to port city the day before, or is the travel date the embarkation day? Which date do we use to determine the time frame for the test results. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, rusty2 said:

Regent now says guests should get a test within 72 hours of their travel date. What is considered the travel date: the date you leave home if you are flying to port city the day before, or is the travel date the embarkation day? Which date do we use to determine the time frame for the test results. Thank you.

I would call Regent and get an emailed response and bring it with you. Better safe than sorry.

Things seem to be changing quickly.

35 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I would call Regent and get an emailed response and bring it with you. Better safe than sorry.

Things seem to be changing quickly.

And still, you shouldn't depend on any response you may get.  Things are changing almost by the minute.  On Mariner, heading to San Francisco on Sunday, we were told about a "Health Department of San Francisco" requirement that all passengers were to be tested, IF....IF they were planning on going ashore on excursions or self-guided walk-about's on Monday or Tuesday.  IF passengers chose to say onboard during the entire port time in SF, and just disembark on Wednesday morning....NO testing was required.  I personally confirmed this with Reception.

This was the exact same "message" throughout the day on Monday.

Now, almost like "magic", we all received letters last night (while we were at dinners) and left awaiting us on our beds, that we are now ALL required to get tests today (Tuesday morning)....even for those of us who have dutifully stayed onboard the ship in SF for the entire time and are now just disembarking the ship for good on Wednesday morning.  This, along with the whole "mask thing", is now causing me to seriously ponder if this will be my final cruise with any company to any place in the world.  The stress and anger is outpacing the pleasure.

No further comment at this point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

And still, you shouldn't depend on any response you may get.  Things are changing almost by the minute.  On Mariner, heading to San Francisco on Sunday, we were told about a "Health Department of San Francisco" requirement that all passengers were to be tested, IF....IF they were planning on going ashore on excursions or self-guided walk-about's on Monday or Tuesday.  IF passengers chose to say onboard during the entire port time in SF, and just disembark on Wednesday morning....NO testing was required.  I personally confirmed this with Reception.

This was the exact same "message" throughout the day on Monday.

Now, almost like "magic", we all received letters last night (while we were at dinners) and left awaiting us on our beds, that we are now ALL required to get tests today (Tuesday morning)....even for those of us who have dutifully stayed onboard the ship in SF for the entire time and are now just disembarking the ship for good on Wednesday morning.  This, along with the whole "mask thing", is now causing me to seriously ponder if this will be my final cruise with any company to any place in the world.  The stress and anger is outpacing the pleasure.

No further comment at this point.

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you and understand how you feel.  

• Thanks 1

I took "travel date" to mean date of embarkation on the ship.  We did our PCR tests yesterday afternoon at CVS.  No results yet.  We fly to Miami tomorrow and board the ship Thursday.  I was able to schedule the PCR test at CVS online about a week ago and had my pick of times.  I made sure to schedule it in the afternoon so it would be within 72 hrs--maybe a little too OCD on my part, but want to be safe. 

33 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I took "travel date" to mean date of embarkation on the ship.  We did our PCR tests yesterday afternoon at CVS.  No results yet.  We fly to Miami tomorrow and board the ship Thursday.  I was able to schedule the PCR test at CVS online about a week ago and had my pick of times.  I made sure to schedule it in the afternoon so it would be within 72 hrs--maybe a little too OCD on my part, but want to be safe. 

So, is the guidance 72 hours or 48 hours?

21 hours ago, forgap said:

We boarded the Explorer in Nov did the test before and Regent did not ask for the results!

Thank you for your replies.  Since we will be traveling up the coast to see family, I made an appt. at CVS for the Sunday prior to our Wednesday cruise.  According to what we have received so far, this test is just recommended not required.  But, better safe than sorry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forgap said:

Thank you for your replies.  Since we will be traveling up the coast to see family, I made an appt. at CVS for the Sunday prior to our Wednesday cruise.  According to what we have received so far, this test is just recommended not required.  But, better safe than sorry. 

yep, that's all we can do at this point.