Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

We are returning from Quebec in September, so I am interested in test before homeward flight. I saw Abbott has teamed with United Airlines for this test. (Though it looks the same as you would do with any airline) Interestingly in FAQ it says: When should I take my test before returning to the U.S.? No more than three days prior to your flight taking off. We also recommend you not wait until the last minute — in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

I thought CDC said 24 hours.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:30 PM, Ombud said:

Sort of.  Transatlantic and European cruises require a shot within 270 days of embarkation so if the shot was April 2021 and you need another shot

For our July British Isles cruise;  Cruise Health FAQs - Sailings from the United Kingdom

• "For voyages departing on or after 7 May, boosters are required for guests 18 years and older whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 9 months (270 days) from the date of disembarkation".

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We are returning from Quebec in September, so I am interested in test before homeward flight. I saw Abbott has teamed with United Airlines for this test. (Though it looks the same as you would do with any airline) Interestingly in FAQ it says: When should I take my test before returning to the U.S.? No more than three days prior to your flight taking off. We also recommend you not wait until the last minute — in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

I thought CDC said 24 hours.

From the CDC website:

Testing – ALL Travelers

REQUIRED

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.

Not hours…1 day before.  It used to be 3 days. The only reference now to 3 days on the CDC website refers if you’ve recovered from covid, recommended you test at least 3 days before.  Doesn’t apply to you.

1 day before your flight back to the US.

Edited by PacnGoNow

31 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

From the CDC website:

Testing – ALL Travelers

REQUIRED

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.

Not hours…1 day before.  It used to be 3 days. The only reference now to 3 days on the CDC website refers if you’ve recovered from covid, recommended you test at least 3 days before.  Doesn’t apply to you.

1 day before your flight back to the US.

You would think that Abott would have updated their website.

COVID TESTING ON 14 DAY ALASKA ROUNDTRIP

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but this is a huge topic. If we take the 14 day roundtrip from Vancouver, which is also a 7 day each way Vancouver to Anchorage, Anchorage to Vancouver,  do we have to take a covid test when the ship arrives in Anchorage and before it leave to return to Vancouver? 

2 hours ago, winemaker1 said:

COVID TESTING ON 14 DAY ALASKA ROUNDTRIP

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but this is a huge topic. If we take the 14 day roundtrip from Vancouver, which is also a 7 day each way Vancouver to Anchorage, Anchorage to Vancouver,  do we have to take a covid test when the ship arrives in Anchorage and before it leave to return to Vancouver? 

I will let you know in 4 days as we are on that same 14 day cruise and are enjoying Skagway today as we head northbound.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, Munsterguy said:

Just noticed on my Medallion App 

“Upload proof of your Negative PCR / Antigen Test taken within 48 hours of your journey”. More confusion from Princess , on their website it says within 2 days , I am taking my Antigen test at 9am  on 05/26 for cruising on 05/28, going by this I am outside the testing window. Can anybody here confirm which is  correct , within 2 days or within 48 hours ? Thanks 🙏 

It is a cruise leaving the UK so it is a test within 3days, although it says 48hours on app .

Tweeted Princess and they said go with the website which is within 3 days as there is problems with the app since update x

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, nini said:

Correct- No Kindles or IPads... that is why we purchased the BinaxNow and used our IPhone at the hotel in London with their WiFi.

The computers on the ship (Internet Cafe) do not have cameras. So, that is a no go.

We have had a problem with reliable bandwidth in our hotel when taking the emed test.  I also highly doubt that the ship would have enough dependable bandwidth to take this test.

I just booked with Princess departing Califronia in a couple months. Was I crazy? I heard the agent told me "Get a covid test... or bring your home test to checkin and have someone supervise you doing it there" It didn't sound like the test you book and then performed at the terminal, cause she said something about bringing your own test kit. Has anybody heard anything about things like this? Or was I really drunk at the time.

2 hours ago, fltcpt said:

I just booked with Princess departing Califronia in a couple months. Was I crazy? I heard the agent told me "Get a covid test... or bring your home test to checkin and have someone supervise you doing it there" It didn't sound like the test you book and then performed at the terminal, cause she said something about bringing your own test kit. Has anybody heard anything about things like this? Or was I really drunk at the time.

That's the first I've heard of something like this.  Maybe your TA is conflating two ways to test into one story - proctored at-home tests (which are always done in advance, away from the terminal) and tests done at or near the terminal (which are always done by Princess or someone they contract with).

6 hours ago, fltcpt said:

Yes you may have been drunk   LOL. We sailed last month from LA and did not see any self test options 

7 hours ago, fltcpt said:

We sailed from LA in April and needed to test at pier on return, Princess had no facilities and no one knew anything about testing. BTW the Iowa Museum is right next to San Pedro pier and there is a testing facility next to it. We did not need to use it, so don't know about costs.

20 hours ago, ehogan said:

Winemaker1

we returned yesterday from 14 day Vancouver to Vancouver to Alaska on the Grand .  No test required in the middle

Thanks so much. We were hesitant to book this cruise because our cruise advisor told us we had to get off the ship in Whittier and take a covid test and it would be a good idea to pack our bags and take them with us in case we did not pass the test. We will now book the cruise. Haho.

Princess Cruises will be doing Covid testing for those on an Alaska land tour prior to embarkation . Wondering what type of test will be done--PCR? NAAT? rapid antigen self test? Not uncommon for some tests to have false negatives. I talked with Princess and the fellow said he didn't know. His response was "whatever they have on hand at the time."

My most recent experience with Princess and my Princess Cruises planner has been a total disappointment. I was informed that if you are unvaccinated, which I am, there is, what is referred to as "a vaccination exemption letter" that one can simply request through your cruise planner. No documentation is required to submit to Princess Cruises. Not yet anyways. The way it works is that if the cruise is not above the 10% threshold, then they issue the letter which you must bring with you to the cruise terminal before embarkation. If not, they will not let you board the ship. You will not be allowed on board. On the flipside, if the ship has indeed reached the 10% vaccination threshold, then Princess will have to rebook you to another sailing on a totally different date. Or, unless you get the vaccine before sailing of course. But what about those of us who cannot due to medical reasons? This is very frustrating because they will not honor the original booking fare. If the rebooked cruise is more expensive than the original cruise booked, then it is up to the passengers to pay the extra cost. Not to mention, keep their fingers crossed on whether or not they can even get there same stateroom - in our case, an S4 category. A total mess by Princess IMO. I am currently unvaccinated due to an ongoing medical condition while my fiance is fully vaccinated. I had my PCP put in the request for the exemption letter and I was later informed that, despite the cruise being a year out for June 10, 2023 on the Majestic Princess 7-Day Northbound Vancouver to Whittier, the 10% vaccination threshold had been met, so we have been rebooked to June 24, 2023 for a lot more than our June 10 cruise. On top of all of all of that, Princess cannot check the status of vaccination exemption threshold for any cruises until one rebooks to another cruise. Again. A total, total mess. 

Edited by J_Bronco34

6 hours ago, J_Bronco34 said:

My most recent experience with Princess and my Princess Cruises planner has been a total disappointment. I was informed that if you are unvaccinated, which I am, there is, what is referred to as "a vaccination exemption letter" that one can simply request through your cruise planner. No documentation is required to submit to Princess Cruises. Not yet anyways. The way it works is that if the cruise is not above the 10% threshold, then they issue the letter which you must bring with you to the cruise terminal before embarkation. If not, they will not let you board the ship. You will not be allowed on board. On the flipside, if the ship has indeed reached the 10% vaccination threshold, then Princess will have to rebook you to another sailing on a totally different date. Or, unless you get the vaccine before sailing of course. But what about those of us who cannot due to medical reasons? This is very frustrating because they will not honor the original booking fare. If the rebooked cruise is more expensive than the original cruise booked, then it is up to the passengers to pay the extra cost. Not to mention, keep their fingers crossed on whether or not they can even get there same stateroom - in our case, an S4 category. A total mess by Princess IMO. I am currently unvaccinated due to an ongoing medical condition while my fiance is fully vaccinated. I had my PCP put in the request for the exemption letter and I was later informed that, despite the cruise being a year out for June 10, 2023 on the Majestic Princess 7-Day Northbound Vancouver to Whittier, the 10% vaccination threshold had been met, so we have been rebooked to June 24, 2023 for a lot more than our June 10 cruise. On top of all of all of that, Princess cannot check the status of vaccination exemption threshold for any cruises until one rebooks to another cruise. Again. A total, total mess. 

This is a hard one. Because you are so far out….many changes will happen. 

Rules may be totally different?

There may be some type of vaccine that would work for you by then?

Many book a year ahead of time and then cancel or rebook.  So, if you were closer to your departure, it may be easier to book it.  Although the S2 may be booked way ahead of time. Your PVP should be able to guide you through this.

All you can do is try to work with the

rules as they are now and final payment is a long way off.  Check out other cruise 

lines rules on the unvaccinated.

Do let us know how it works out for you.

Best of luck to you.  

JMO

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J_Bronco34 said:

Since the cruise you wish to take looks like it starts in Canada, have you also checked to make sure that you can also get an exemption to enter their country?  Their exemptions are much stricter than what Princess allows and any exemption Princess might give you to board will not work to enter Canada.  You might want to check that out sooner rather then later so you are not even more disappointed or out any money.  I know what you have booked is a year out and things can change but we can’t count on that.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, travelhound said:

We have had a problem with reliable bandwidth in our hotel when taking the emed test.  I also highly doubt that the ship would have enough dependable bandwidth to take this test.

We had no other choice but to take that risk regarding the hotel WiFi. If that failed, we would have to test at the dock. (we had flown out on May 5th and arrived in London on the 6th. We would board the 9th, so we had to test when not at at home. If my crystal ball had been working, we would have flown to London AFTER testing at home and not toured London. The stress was not worth it, but air fares had skyrocketed so changing flights was not really an option).

The computers in the Internet Cafe worked great, but no cameras and I am not sure about printers.

Regarding flying home, we had to rely on the Emerald getting its act together as promised and much reminding from passengers that they had vowed to do this. So, after two messed up Emerald itineraries, they had testing available on the last morning of the cruise (6:00 am to 9:00 am). This was ONLY for passengers flying home on disembarkation day. It worked like clockwork and we were able to make our tour for the day.

The Internet Cafe Officer said we could bring our IPhone to the IC and do our proctored test there, however: 1. What if a few hundred passengers tried that 2. Princess already promised THEY would provide the testing.

Quite a few passengers (including myself) had printed out the documentation of Princess stating that they would do the testing.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:30 PM, ehogan said:

Winemaker1

we returned yesterday from 14 day Vancouver to Vancouver to Alaska on the Grand .  No test required in the middle

Now this is a very interesting turn of events. 🤔 It will be interesting to see if this is a one off or will this continue for all back to backs or only only Alaska B2B’s? I would imagine there will be a lot of 👀 watching for future cruisers to post how their cruises were handled. Hopefully there will be a lot of follow up in the upcoming months.